• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

MG5 owners only. Post on here what you think of the car.

I have had my LR Exclusive for a few weeks and coming from a 19 year old Skoda Octavia, it feels like it's from another planet.. Absolutely love it. My only gripe is that the Android Auto connects intermittently, and once disconnected in the middle of a journey. I have disabled BlueTooth on my phone - someone suggested that as an option. Is there a knack to getting a reliable connection?

That aside, I love the car and it has even attracted attention from a tradesman. My neighbours have been sniffing around as well !
It’s your cable. Same thing happened with me and CarPlay. Get a new, good quality cable and it’ll be fine. 👌

I finally connected my phone to the car today, Android Auto is lightyears better! I found Chargemap is on there. Didn't work yet, seems I wasn't logged in.

#update# Chargemap works on Android Auto!!

Last edited:
Well I have gone from Jaguar XF Sportbrake to the MG5. No it dies not have all the nice bits you get in a Jaguar but I have to say the built in Sat Nav is better than the Jaguar's, it maybe slow to start up but it works well once you and running. Android auto is an easy option I dis not have on the Jaguar! Would have been nice to have roof bars I could use, but it was not a deal breaker. Love the car and manage to charge it from my solar panels via my Zappi 2 charger.
My previous car was also a Jaguar XF love driving the MG5 like I did the Jag but I really love to do 200 mile for less than 2 quid.

You were right. A good quality USB data lead resulted in a flawless 220 miles if Android Auto today. The old one was quite long, so maybe more prone to interference. Many thanks
Do you have a link to the one you purchased, it may be useful for others as it seems very successful ?

I've had my MG5 LR Exclusive about 3 weeks now and to date, done about 1200 miles.
The verdict? Absolutely love it. Its way better than the Zoe I came from and the extra range really makes a difference.

SouthStack.jpg

RSPB South Stack Anglesey.

Personally, I find it the most comfortable car I've owned in the last 15 years and there's no backache after long trips(y)
The infotainment system is not as bad as I expected and is perfectly fine- especially having apple carplay.
Good interior space for loadlugging and with the roof bars already having earned their keep, its the ideal package for me.

The ACC and active safety systems have already saved me from being the filling in a car sandwich on the M56 on the way home from a family gathering in Manchester the day after I picked the car up!

Whilst on the Christmas break I decided to take it for a longer run out from my home on Anglesey to The Ponderosa Cafe at the summit of the Horseshoe Pass, Llangollen- a round trip of around 140 miles, with lots of mountains and gradients.
So, for all you Stat geeks out there (I'll include myself in that gang!), here's the data:-

28/12/21
Temp 7degC, Weather Grey, Drizzly & windy. Heater on & driving normally no attempts at eco driving.
Outward Journey- straight down the A5 Llangollen turning onto A542 for Horseshoe Pass.
Return A5 to Capel Curig turning onto A4086 Pen-y-Pass & Llanberis, picking up the A55 to Anglesey.

Start 100% Charge Most of drive normal mode/Kers3

Arrival at The Ponderosa Cafe 10:40am (in the Clouds!!)
69.8 miles 64% charge remaining avg 3.4 m/kWh

Return Home via Llanberis arriving home 13.24 (still drizzling)
70.7 miles 31% charge remaining (est 65 miles left) avg 4.0 m/kWh

Overall:- 140.5 miles covered with an average of 3.6 m/kWh. Total miles on car 1054.
Very happy with that!

In the Zoe (ZE40) I would normally stop at Rhug Estate for a top up charge on the way home.
In theory in Summer I could make the trip with no stops- not in winter.
Being able to to do the whole trip and still have nearly a third of the charge left is a massive improvement, especially given the weather.

It only dawned on me after I got home that in Kers 3 it was very nearly one pedal driving- I never touched the brake pedal from Bethesda to Rhug Estate a distance of about 36 miles.

You might have guessed, I'm one very happy puppy😍😍😍

Let's hope Gwynedd Council start to put a few public chargers around because its a bloody nightmare at the moment
Agreed, but I’ll not hold my breath!
If they’re anything like my old home town ( Bolton) council, they’ll make a half ar$ed attempt with little or no maintenance- about as much use as a chocolate teapot😂😂🤣. It seems we’re reliant on supermarkets to install chargers, but they will not be enough. I’d love to see banks of chargers installed on the car parks in most towns like Porthmadog, Caernarfon, Betws y Coed, Barmouth etc this would give a good spread of chargepoints around the region.

I actually nicked one form my son's phone, but I have a couple on order. Will test and put a link in here if they prove to be good.
I emailed the dealer (Glyn Hopkins St Albans) late last Friday and he phoned me first thing Saturday morning - ruined my hangover! I had asked about intermittent Android Auto. He gave me a few suggestions, but the thing that has made all the difference is to reboot your phone. Absolutely kicking myself - I work in IT. After a reboot, it was flawless for 3 days. Then after another reboot mid week, it has been perfect again - did 200 miles today consisting of about 6 stops and AA reconnected every time. A cost-free fix

You should be able to schedule your phone to reboot nightly. I set mine for 5am daily so it's fresh for the day.

My Apple CarPlay was being unreliable when using Google maps. I changed the photographic satellite maps back to simple 3D maps, it never glitches again. I think the internal processor can’t handle too much details.

Had a 40KWh Leaf before, during the summer range was OK but the hit for heating, lights etc. in the winter was just too much. Also objected to the intrusiveness of the collision avoidance, several times it put on the brakes for no real reason and there was nothing I could do until it decided the "threat" was not real.

Plus for the MG, obviously the higher range, boot big enough for the dog crate AND the shopping (either/or previously). The option for a spare wheel, just considering a full size spare (if I can find one) and leave the floor in the higher position. Rails as standard allows for the occasional long load from the DIY (must get round to testing the Aldi own brand bars). All round visibility is much better as A and B pillars are thinner. All the benefits of an EV allied with Solar panels still apply, never used the timer functions in the Leaf so don't miss it and the App was so unreliable and slow so the same applies.

Negatives, motor is noticeably noisier, want the magic all round camera back as well as the front sensors. The processor for the display is underpowered and so SLOOOOW. Yes I could use Apple CarPlay for a SatNav but I shouldn't need to.

UK MG TECHNICAL CENTRE need to get their finger out.​

I'm amazed at how quick it is to defrost. I assumed to give the same ten or fifteen mins as I did with our ice at the same time. I haven't stood and watched it but it must have taken well under five minutes to clear ice from all windows.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom