MG5 Roof rails decorative only

You all need to buy lighter canoes, bikes, camping gear etc. My canoe weighs 17kg. That leaves about 15kg for stray cats or whatever.

So i would like to use my roof rack for take my bike away for the weekend. Would it still be illegal to? Do we need this letter from MG?

So i would like to use my roof rack for take my bike away for the weekend. Would it still be illegal to? Do we need this letter from MG?
Really depends on your definition of 'legal'. In the eyes of the law anything being carried or transported must be done in a safe and secure manner without hazard or danger to yourself or those around you... you could just lash something directly to your roof and so long as you can prove that it does not make your vehicle a hazard then 'the law' doesn't mind. The difficulty comes when you think you secure something, and then something goes wrong. Because currently the handbook states that the roof rails are non-load bearing and decorative only then your insurance / police can claim that you did not have 'proof or reason' to believe that the load was secure......

I took delivery of my MG5 last Friday and it has no roof rails fitted!! Has anybody else heard of this. I'm not sure if I should complain or be grateful that the wind resistance is better as a result. BTW I think it actually looks better without (but I would say that wouldn't I :) ).

I took delivery of my MG5 last Friday and it has no roof rails fitted!! Has anybody else heard of this. I'm not sure if I should complain or be grateful that the wind resistance is better as a result. BTW I think it actually looks better without (but I would say that wouldn't I :) ).
Have you got an Excite or Exclusive?

Ye Excite doesn't come with them
Thanks Adam. I've just spotted that on the spec sheet. Before buying, I based my expectations on trawling around on Autotrader and I didn't see a single Excite or Exclusive without them so I just assumed they all had them!! You can never do enough homework can you?

Yep you're right Jocko. I can't find a single Excite example on Autotrader with roof rails. I can only conclude that I must have been looking the wrong way down a pair of binoculars when I looked into it . Who needs roof rails anyway? They just add to the wind noise and electron consumption. :)

AS a matter of interest how heavy are the rails? Reduces the 35 KG a bit further. My wife packs out our present roof-box like a suitcase so I think I better get a smaller one!!🤣

The bars are made of “aero” so should actually add 15kg to its loading - maybe that’s why MG stated 50kg in the first place.

I to watched the podcast about the roof rails and I am about to get my car MG5 exclusive in January when I ordered the car an MG brochure was given to me which shows the car with a bike on the roof also when I looked on the MG web site at what extras and accessories where available under the touring section I am sure the bike carrier was listed as an extra but when I have looked again tonight this is no longer listed for the MG5 also I read PDF handbook on line on I to noticed on page 62 it says and I quote,

The roof luggage RACK is a none load bearing luggage rack which is used only as decoration. Do not load anything on the roof luggage rack as it could result in an accident or damage to the vehicle. Unquote.

This I found most confusing as pictures of the car so a cycle on the roof as I have said above, the other thing is it says on page 62 roof luggage rack there is no mention of ROOF RAILS, so thinking about it the roof on these cars is ribbed and I thought that this is what they might be calling the roof rack, so I rang the MG head office to ask was the that the case. I rang on three separate occasions and was told they would speak to someone and get back to me, guess what no one ever did I have also e-mailed them but have had no reply,

I have found the service so far from MG uk very off putting and after watching you pod cast I am now very upset I have had many estate cars the last three being Skoda’s Octavia and Superb estates and have waited a long time for some one to do a EV estate but now I’m not sure what to do.

I wonder does the department of transport know the there is a car on British roads that someone unknowingly might put something on the roof rails with cross bars of course that might detach at speed on a motorway because they have not read page 62 worrying can I get my money back now at this late stage never mind the fact I have already spent the best part of £900 having a Zappi installed to charge it
disgusting behaviour from MG

UPDATE
Several weeks have pass again so I wrote again to the DVSA to ask why MG have not done as they where surpassed to do ie write to all 5 owners to inform them about the roof rail loading 35kg plus a handbook update to be issued also I had not had anything from the Vehicle Certification Agency so I asked the DVSA to chase it up today I have got a response from them which is now saying that the manufacturer MG is in the process of launching a RECALL and will be communicating instructions to there dealers and customers.

I have route back again asking for more information as this is again a change by MG Motors I will keep up dated when I can

The mail I sent and the reply are here below

Hello again Simon Lewis
I am writing again on behalf of the MGEVs owners forum in the hope of a response to my last mail to you around four weeks ago copy enclosed which still I have received no reply to, this is about the still outstanding issue with MG Motors the Vehicles Certification Agency and yourselves at the DVSA concerning the roof rail load on the MG5 vehicle if you prefer me to write direct to the VSA please forward me there contact details and that I will do, thank you again for your help in this matter but as to date nothing has been received by any MG5 owner from MG Motors to conclude this outstanding issue as you said it would be in your last mail.
Regards
Les Burrows

Ref: VSD 33237

His reply

Dear Mr Burrows
With regards to this issue, I can confirm the manufacturer is in the process of launching a recall and will be communicating instructions to their dealers and customers.
Regards

Simon Lewis | Vehicle Defect Investigation & Market Surveillance Engineer
Core Member of DVSA embRACE Staff Network Group - Working with DVSA to ‘Create a Great Place to Work’
Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency | Orgreave Way, Sheffield, S13 9LT

So I have wrote again to ask what is going on

Hi Simon thank you for replying to my mail you say that a RECALL is now to happen, previously it was waiting for Certification from the VCA then a letter and a handbook change for all owners has something else now happened a response ASAP would be much appreciated
Regards les

I shall keep you updated when they reply
Les

UPDATE
Several weeks have pass again so I wrote again to the DVSA to ask why MG have not done as they where surpassed to do ie write to all 5 owners to inform them about the roof rail loading 35kg plus a handbook update to be issued also I had not had anything from the Vehicle Certification Agency so I asked the DVSA to chase it up today I have got a response from them which is now saying that the manufacturer MG is in the process of launching a RECALL and will be communicating instructions to there dealers and customers.

I have route back again asking for more information as this is again a change by MG Motors I will keep up dated when I can

The mail I sent and the reply are here below

Hello again Simon Lewis
I am writing again on behalf of the MGEVs owners forum in the hope of a response to my last mail to you around four weeks ago copy enclosed which still I have received no reply to, this is about the still outstanding issue with MG Motors the Vehicles Certification Agency and yourselves at the DVSA concerning the roof rail load on the MG5 vehicle if you prefer me to write direct to the VSA please forward me there contact details and that I will do, thank you again for your help in this matter but as to date nothing has been received by any MG5 owner from MG Motors to conclude this outstanding issue as you said it would be in your last mail.
Regards
Les Burrows

Ref: VSD 33237

His reply

Dear Mr Burrows
With regards to this issue, I can confirm the manufacturer is in the process of launching a recall and will be communicating instructions to their dealers and customers.
Regards

Simon Lewis | Vehicle Defect Investigation & Market Surveillance Engineer
Core Member of DVSA embRACE Staff Network Group - Working with DVSA to ‘Create a Great Place to Work’
Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency | Orgreave Way, Sheffield, S13 9LT

So I have wrote again to ask what is going on

Hi Simon thank you for replying to my mail you say that a RECALL is now to happen, previously it was waiting for Certification from the VCA then a letter and a handbook change for all owners has something else now happened a response ASAP would be much appreciated
Regards les

I shall keep you updated when they reply
Les
Indeed I can confirm that there is a recall being issued.... I only found out when dropping my car in on Friday for an AirCon issue... where whilst going through the paper work the agent said 'oh and it's in for a recall too'.... to which I responded in surprise and asked 'a recall for what?'.... the agent then read a bi more and said 'to confirm the 35Kg load limit for the roof bars'....

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom