MG5 Roof rails decorative only

I haven't had anything from MG though even though I've asked. You know what insurance companies are like, I'm not taking the risk. If MG have 100% approved it why have email not been sent out or websites updated?
I can't see the point of waiting, depriving yourself of the use of the roof rack in case some unlikely event may happen. I'm sure there wouldn't be a problem obtaining a letter from MG or your dealer for the insurance company "if" it did happened.

Last edited:
Well I called Chorley MG and they said they cannot give me this confirmation. So I called the MG customer service number and they said they will need to look into it and get back to me. But strange that the dealership can't just send me an official email.

40BDF4C4-6EB1-4E44-8302-12A7294C052B.jpeg

Found this in my inbox this morning from a person on the speak EV forum don’t know which dealer it’s has come from but maybe they are quoting the MK2 MG 5 due here perhaps late this year or next year as that is said in the specifications to take 75kg on its roof rails and can also have towing equipment fitted Ive read it in quoted specifications but for the time being today’s model is 35 kg on its rails
Les

KJA2001 replied to a discussion you are following at No roof load....
I picked up a new MG5 yesterday. I was advised by the garage (who were not trying to sell me a car as it was already bought) that the current rating is 35kg but that they are expecting that to be raised to 70kg in few months once further testing is carried out. We shall see.
open

IMPORTANT. UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE
We got a response form MG via the DVSA had this mail this morning for me it takes us back to January 15th I think it was so not brilliant but better than nothing small roofbox or lightweight cycle maybe.
Les

Ref: VSD 33237

Dear Mr Burrows

With regards to this issue. I have been in contact with the manufacturer, who have now reported back and demonstrated to me that following DVSA’s enquiries, they have carried out extensive testing to confirm that the MG EV roof bars can indeed carry a capacity of 35kg.

Subject to approval from the Vehicle Certification Agency, the manufacturer has proposed a timetable of actions that includes informing current vehicle owners of the roof bar capacity and providing them with updated vehicle handbooks. All new owners will be informed of the capacity at the time of purchase, and all media will be updated to reflect the 35kg load capacity.

I trust this brings your enquiries to a satisfactory conclusion.

Regards

Simon Lewis | Vehicle Defect Investigation & Market Surveillance Engineer
Core Member of DVSA embRACE Staff Network Group - Working with DVSA to ‘Create a Great Place to Work’
Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency | Orgreave Way, Sheffield, S13 9LT

Find out more about government services at www.gov.uk/dvsa
We have also be trying to get some results over this - we would not have bought that model if we had known that the roof rails were "decorative". We are trying to prove we have been mis-sold the vehicle - because the capacity of 35kg is rubbish. Our Thule roof box and roof bars ALONE weight 23kg - so just room in the box for a few books and a laptop then! Taking this further although it may well be a waste of time.

We have also be trying to get some results over this - we would not have bought that model if we had known that the roof rails were "decorative". We are trying to prove we have been mis-sold the vehicle - because the capacity of 35kg is rubbish. Our Thule roof box and roof bars ALONE weight 23kg - so just room in the box for a few books and a laptop then! Taking this further although it may well be a waste of time.
Hi Rachel I see your new to the forum so welcome onboard I have been addressing this issue since November 6 2020 but mainly on the safety aspect for me so it may be worth your while to read the whole of this thread there is a post about what the ASA had to say on the advertising in #275 on page 14 plus other comments from that angle in several parts of the thread you will also find that up until I stated on this many of the dealers knew nothing about the issue.
Les

It's now officially been announced that the MG5 ev has passed type approval testing for use in the UK and EU. The roof bars are rated at 35 kilos. MG will be printing out and putting printed sheet over the part in the owners manual where it states they are decorative only. Do search on YouTube for MG ev owners latest podcast as of 2 June 21. If each roof bar is rated at 35 kilos does that mean total load is 70 kg? Or is that 35kg maximum?

It's now officially been announced that the MG5 ev has passed type approval testing for use in the UK and EU. The roof bars are rated at 35 kilos. MG will be printing out and putting printed sheet over the part in the owners manual where it states they are decorative only. Do search on YouTube for MG ev owners latest podcast as of 2 June 21. If each roof bar is rated at 35 kilos does that mean total load is 70 kg? Or is that 35kg maximum?
Hi I think you will find all you need to know in this thread at #423 suggest you take a look and if you need any help contact you dealer they no everything about it now
Les

Last edited:
Whilst 35kg is better than “decorative only”, remember MG still guilty of false advertisement in their initial marketing information and load is still significantly off the original 50kg mark. Essentially, minus roof bars and box - it’s more 18/20kg luggage capacity or 2-3 bicycles.

I think that with e.g. Thule bars (4.5kg ish) and a Bike Support rack (4kg ish) plus my mtb (just under 14kg) that makes enough sense for me to use the rails. Potentially even another lightweight bike too.

Whilst 35kg is better than “decorative only”, remember MG still guilty of false advertisement in their initial marketing information and load is still significantly off the original 50kg mark. Essentially, minus roof bars and box - it’s more 18/20kg luggage capacity or 2-3 bicycles.
Maybe there's less gravity in China?.....

Still waiting for something from MG......at Chorley
I asked Chorley also and they said they cannot give me confirmation that the roof rails are now approved. So I contacted the main MG line and they eventually sent me an email for now and a letter to follow. Not sure why it takes so long to send a letter out.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom