MG5 Roof rails decorative only

Indeed I can confirm that there is a recall being issued.... I only found out when dropping my car in on Friday for an AirCon issue... where whilst going through the paper work the agent said 'oh and it's in for a recall too'.... to which I responded in surprise and asked 'a recall for what?'.... the agent then read a bi more and said 'to confirm the 35Kg load limit for the roof bars'....
What did confirming this look like for you Nellie? Did they do anything or give you anything?

Found this reply from DVSA just after I finished on the pod cast so may I suggest you now contact your dealers to get your recall / update carried out, I now think we might have closure on this subject but everyone please remember 35kg must include everything box bikes canoes and the cross rail every item weighs something and all must add up to no more than 35 kg thank you to all concerned for your support over the passed 7/8 months
Les
Ref: VSD 33237

Dear Mr Burrows

With regards to this issue, nothing else has ‘happened’ and the manufacturer will be carrying out communications as previously proposed. Using the recall system should ensure all owners are informed, DVSA can monitor progress and details are published on gov.uk

Regards

Last edited:
Thanks for all the time and effort expended in chasing up this issue for us. Good result!

I've just had an email from Luscombe's, saying that the roof rails are now approved to carry 35Kg, and offering MG roof rails discounted at £224.99. They look remarkably similar to the Lidl/Aldi ones, or the Oypla ones I bought on Amazon.

I've just had an email from Luscombe's, saying that the roof rails are now approved to carry 35Kg, and offering MG roof rails discounted at £224.99. They look remarkably similar to the Lidl/Aldi ones, or the Oypla ones I bought on Amazon.
The MG ones are made by Mont Blanc.

I looking at the Lidl ones tonight. They have quite a hard plastic in the grip bit which is likely to dent the roof rails. My Thule bars have rubber lining that bit.

Just to let people know, last week I had the promised letter about the 35kg roof rating from the dealership where I got my MG 5. As Les' correspondence suggests, they said there's a bit of paper about it to stick in the manual. I told them I would pick it up next time the car went in for a service.

I wasn't actually expecting to be able to put anything on the roof when we bought the car, so to me, this was a nice bonus. Though I did laugh out loud when the sales guy told us the roof rails were purely decorative when looking at the car -- "wait, what, you're actually serious?!"

Do you really have to wait for a letter before using the roof rails?
Problem is I've not had any official goahead from MG unless it says on their website or something?

So if anything happened my insurance may be funny about it because it was sold to me as decorative roofbars only and I've not had anything from MG to say otherwise.

Problem is I've not had any official goahead from MG unless it says on their website or something?

So if anything happened my insurance may be funny about it because it was sold to me as decorative roofbars only and I've not had anything from MG to say otherwise.
It's official, if you want to wait for a printed piece of paper to be prit-sticked into your manual, then fair enough, but we've had confirmation from MG directly.

It's official, if you want to wait for a printed piece of paper to be prit-sticked into your manual, then fair enough, but we've had confirmation from MG directly.
I haven't had anything from MG though even though I've asked. You know what insurance companies are like, I'm not taking the risk. If MG have 100% approved it why have email not been sent out or websites updated?

Last edited:
Think ill have to call up the Chorley dealership and get them to hurry my letter along, I want to start using it
Adam don’t think about it mate DO IT I said this in #423 above contact your dealer and tell them you need this sorted As you need to use the rails ASAP i have had word by email from the DVSA and Miles Roberts from Chorley MG has comfirmed it both on the forums and on the pod cast on Monday last 24/5/21 so ring your dealers with out delay others have reported the have had letters about this but some dealers may work quicker than others so if you need it now phone and tell them I would thats for certain.
Les

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom