MG5 seats in an MG4

OJEastwood

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE LR
As I think I have mentioned before on here, I much prefer the seats in the MG5 to those in the MG4, and it still remains a mystery to me why they didn't use the same seats in both models but there we go.

While I'm still waiting on our MG4, what I want to know is whether it would be possible to install MG5 front seats into the MG4? I imagine all wiring connections would be the same but can anyone think of a reason it could impact the MG4 for whatever reason? Does anyone have both an MG4 and MG5 and is able to test it out?

Thank you in advance for any input on this!

As I think I have mentioned before on here, I much prefer the seats in the MG5 to those in the MG4, and it still remains a mystery to me why they didn't use the same seats in both models but there we go.

While I'm still waiting on our MG4, what I want to know is whether it would be possible to install MG5 front seats into the MG4? I imagine all wiring connections would be the same but can anyone think of a reason it could impact the MG4 for whatever reason? Does anyone have both an MG4 and MG5 and is able to test it out?

I think that crash testing including airbag positioning, anchor points, seat belts, etc could all have a bearing on the type of seats fitted. So changing them might impact this. Changing the seats on modern vehicles is not as straightforward as it used to be years ago.

I think that crash testing including airbag positioning, anchor points, seat belts, etc could all have a bearing on the type of seats fitted. So changing them might impact this. Changing the seats on modern vehicles is not as straightforward as it used to be years ago.
Ah of course! That's a real shame. I thought the 'leather' MG5 seats would look great in the 4 as well

As an old boss used to tell us”never assume”.

The wiring and functionality could be different. The mounting points could be different. The physical size could be an issue.

But you could check with a measure at a dealership.

I would expect seats from a dealership woukd be ballistically expensive unless you get some from a wreck…which also may not be cheap.

It might be easier to get someone to rebuild and retrim the front seats to your preference.

This won't be cheap but changing seats never is.
When I had my original MG ZS EV Gen 1 on order I thought from test driving the car several times that I couldn't live with the seats and so researched a few upmarket custom seat covers even with Alcatera and adjustable lumber support. Once fitted they would be indistinguishable from a factory seat if they had been built with Alcatera and lumber support adjustment. About £600 for two front seats if I recall. However, I was surprised once the car was delivered and I'd spent a little longer driving it, than the 30-minute test drives, that the seats were very comfortable even without lumber adjustment so I never changed them. To be fair I do still miss the Alcatera though.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 510 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back