MG5 vs ZS EV

neilp7865

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
Debating between the two and wondered if any current owners had done similar comparisons to share experience.

Initially I was drawn to the MG5 2022 facelift but (despite the higher list price) the ZS is cheaper to lease (assuming better residuals predicted)

One factor I’m trying to understand is economy. In an ICE the SUV body would be less economical than an estate - does this play true in EV? Or is it marginal compared to variation due to weather, driving style etc?

For info, I dropped into the MG dealer post test drive for a VW iD3 (shocked at the awful interior quality of the VW and pleasantly surprised by the MGs)

Debating between the two and wondered if any current owners had done similar comparisons to share experience.

Initially I was drawn to the MG5 2022 facelift but (despite the higher list price) the ZS is cheaper to lease (assuming better residuals predicted)

One factor I’m trying to understand is economy. In an ICE the SUV body would be less economical than an estate - does this play true in EV? Or is it marginal compared to variation due to weather, driving style etc?

For info, I dropped into the MG dealer post test drive for a VW iD3 (shocked at the awful interior quality of the VW and pleasantly surprised by the MGs)
I was also shocked at how cheap the VW looks inside.

I own an MG5 and it's a great car to drive. Feels much faster, feels more room in the back. But with the extra range and looks wise I'd probably now go for the new ZS if lease is cheaper. So for me I'd buy an MG5, lease a ZS

The MG5 is the more efficient of the two cars so your annual mileage will be a factor.

Can you clarify what you mean by MG5 2022 facelift please? Is it the mainland European version that has just been launched? Or the recent long range version that is in the UK?

Can you clarify what you mean by MG5 2022 facelift please? Is it the mainland European version that has just been launched? Or the recent long range version that is in the UK?
The European version. Appreciate no confirmation on UK launch but dealers all confident they’ll get the same version (makes no sense to build a different version for RHD). Purely from pictures, the facelift looks a lot sharper inside and out.

Maybe a question for Miles on the next YouTube chat. Why not put atleast a 75kw battery in the MG5 and bigger better wheels

I'm quite happy with the wheel size on the MG5.
In my early driving days I can remember driving on 12" rims and that was by no means the smallest you'd find!

I'm quite happy with the wheel size on the MG5.
In my early driving days I can remember driving on 12" rims and that was by no means the smallest you'd find!
Back in the 70s, 13" was the norm for most cars, 12" for some smaller cars and the Mini had 10" wheels. 13" tyres were dead cheap.

Agreed that it looks a lot better inside and out. I wasn't willing to wait so went for the long range MG5.

Glad I did as prices are going up, while incentives are going down.
I was the same, would have liked the facelift for the extra stuff and app, but wasn't willing to wait indefinitely and believe Miles was saying to not expect it till around Q3 2022

I was the same, would have liked the facelift for the extra stuff and app, but wasn't willing to wait indefinitely and believe Miles was saying to not expect it till around Q3 2022
Also, with the inevitable price increases, likely removal of Affinity and diminishing government incentives, the 2022 MG5 Facelift could potentially be much less of a bargain.

VFM is key.
If MG can no longer deliver that then there are better alternatives.

Also, with the inevitable price increases, likely removal of Affinity and diminishing government incentives, the 2022 MG5 Facelift could potentially be much less of a bargain
I believe the current Affinity price for a LR MG5 Exclusive is approx £26250. That is roughly £1750 more than I paid in September

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom