MG5 will not charge at a fast charger

KBod

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Hi,

We have an MG5 (registered January 2021 but it is a 70 plate) and it will not charge at a fast charger. No problems charging it at home or at a 7kW podpoint charger. We bought this second hand in March and the 90 day warranty is now up. Does anyone have any ideas as to why it will not charge at a fast charger? Does the car require a software update?

Any help/advice is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

We have an MG5 (registered January 2021 but it is a 70 plate) and it will not charge at a fast charger. No problems charging it at home or at a 7kw podpoint charger. We bought this second hand in March and the 90 day warranty is now up. Does anyone have any ideas as to why it will not charge at a fast charger? Does the car require a software update?

Any help/advice is greatly appreciated.
Hi, AC type2 EVSE units are know as 'fast charges'.
Sounds like you have an issue with Rapid DC CCS chargers?

Upvote 0
You won't find many fast AC EVSE units over 22kW.
Rapid DC chargers are a different thing and can put the battery cells out, that's why it is advised to battery balance once a month.
Hi there Jomarkh, any chance of explaining how to do a 'Battery Balance', I've not done anything like that in the 16 months I've had the PreFL LR, thanks in advance for any insights.

Upvote 0
Hi there Jomarkh, any chance of explaining how to do a 'Battery Balance', I've not done anything like that in the 16 months I've had the PreFL LR, thanks in advance for any insights.
Just leave it connected to an AC type2 EVSE for a few hour after it has reached 100%. You have probably done this already.

Upvote 0
Just leave it connected to an AC type2 EVSE for a few hour after it has reached 100%. You have probably done this already.
Also make sure the EVSE is actually allowing the car to charge. (I know that sounds silly on the face of it, but given they can be configured with schedules or automations to only use cheaper electricity it's worth mentioning)

Upvote 0
I didn't realise that's all I had to do, so in reality it must have done it several times, as I'm not on any automated or timed schedules, my charger is just a bog standard 7kWh plugged into a 32Amp switch, so it doesn't get switched off until I actually go out to the garage to physically disconnect it.
Thanks for the insight.

Upvote 0
Thanks everyone for your replies. Locking the car before confirming the charge didn't work. We have a geniepoint charger near us, so we'll try that one before taking the car anywhere. Very concerned about our trip to France next month now - I'm worried the chargers over there won't like the MG5 either.
We have a chargemap rfid which we use in France, it works on almost all chargers and has a great app. We have found ionity chargers to be reliable - never failed for us. You need to order a card from chargemap before you go.

Upvote 0
We have a chargemap rfid which we use in France, it works on almost all chargers and has a great app. We have found ionity chargers to be reliable - never failed for us. You need to order a card from chargemap before you go.
We found charging in France easier than the UK. Lots of Lidl’s had cheap (25 cents/kW) DC chargers. Chargemap card useful.

Did smile when expensive Porsche arrived alongside us at one of the FASTNED chargers on the autoroute - much locking/unlocking plugging/unplugging trying different chargers until he got it to work. It’s not just MG’s that have issues. You can pay much more for the same problems.

Upvote 0
I didn't realise that's all I had to do, so in reality it must have done it several times, as I'm not on any automated or timed schedules, my charger is just a bog standard 7kWh plugged into a 32Amp switch, so it doesn't get switched off until I actually go out to the garage to physically disconnect it.
Thanks for the insight.
I forget what the message is but it's different after the car has done a balance charge than after a normal top up.

Upvote 0
I forget what the message is but it's different after the car has done a balance charge than after a normal top up.

Attachments

• IMG_20220415_143137.jpg
    IMG_20220415_143137.jpg
    412.2 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_20220415_160229.jpg
    IMG_20220415_160229.jpg
    514.8 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_20220415_160915.jpg
    IMG_20220415_160915.jpg
    432.7 KB · Views: 45
Upvote 0
Support us by becoming a Premium Member