Miles' MG4 Long-Distance Review (over 200 miles in a day)

Really good review Miles and honest about the over eager attention sensor thing, good to see.

Really want to be able to set scheduled heating and heating when plugged in but not charging, hope this gets sorted ASAP for winter……or my other half won’t be happy commuting in a cold car or having to de-ice like those primitive combustion engined ones.

Up to 1200 miles here now in the SE LR, 3.3mi/kWh on a family airport pick up last night over 118 miles, mostly motorway. Wasn’t nice seeing under 2 miles / % on the RR……but as usual with EV, your onboard computer (brain) constantly calculates what you need so you can be a bit heavier with the right foot 👍😉

Really good review Miles and honest about the over eager attention sensor thing, good to see.

Really want to be able to set scheduled heating and heating when plugged in but not charging, hope this gets sorted ASAP for winter……or my other half won’t be happy commuting in a cold car or having to de-ice like those primitive combustion engined ones.

Up to 1200 miles here now in the SE LR, 3.3mi/kWh on a family airport pick up last night over 118 miles, mostly motorway. Wasn’t nice seeing under 2 miles / % on the RR……but as usual with EV, your onboard computer (brain) constantly calculates what you need so you can be a bit heavier with the right foot 👍😉
Feedback sent to MG technical regarding the scheduled heating / heating when plugged in not charging.

I wonder if the type and settings of the wall charger makes a difference?

My colleague at MG reckons he's tried this with 2x MG4 Trophy, and can't replicate the fault. Is this only happening with the SE models?
I can’t activate the HVAC if it’s plugged in and not charging here.

If it’s actively charging at all (be it at 7kw or set on eco at 1.4kw on my Hypervolt) it will work no problem. If the charger is set to a scheduled charge (via the Hypervolt) you can’t activate the HVAC remote system, and the app throws up some sort of error.

MG4 Trophy here! 😀

Great video Miles.

With regard to the preheating.
I have an SE SR and I have no issues preheating with the full charge completed and still plugged in.

No timers set though as it's on a work charger that is always on rather than timed charge.

So don't know if it's maybe a timing issue that's causing it

Is it a Sleep mode issue? (Reading previous posts suggests this as a possibility). Can someone having this issue try a remote unlock/lock of the car using the key prior to the HVAC being scheduled to come on?

Is it a Sleep mode issue? (Reading previous posts suggests this as a possibility). Can someone having this issue try a remote unlock/lock of the car using the key prior to the HVAC being scheduled to come on?
This was how I got mine to kick in the other morning.
Wasn't on the charger, but the app wouldn't connect at all until I locked and unlocked the car then away it went.
So could be timing and sleep combined

Last edited:

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 543 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums