Minor vibration through steering at speed

I sympathise with your situation, :giggle: no, I really do. Here in Aquitaine, once a English kingdom or was it the other way round. We are positioned on the border of two departments neither of which want to spend money on the road surfaces which lead to a competing department, hence we have the worst the surfaces for many a mile (kilometre). Couple that we are a hilly area prone to minor landslips and road slumpages makes local travelling a bit annoying considering 15 kms in any direction the roads are all caramel and chocolate.
So in trying to find any fault , vibration ,knocks, rattles, etc its impossible to isolate when close to home, and out in country ,that's not easy because then you are to busy enjoying yourself and then thinking, why did I drive out here? :D

I sympathise with your situation, :giggle: no, I really do. Here in Aquitaine, once a English kingdom or was it the other way round. We are positioned on the border of two departments neither of which want to spend money on the road surfaces which lead to a competing department, hence we have the worst the surfaces for many a mile (kilometre). Couple that we are a hilly area prone to minor landslips and road slumpages makes local travelling a bit annoying considering 15 kms in any direction the roads are all caramel and chocolate.
So in trying to find any fault , vibration ,knocks, rattles, etc its impossible to isolate when close to home, and out in country ,that's not easy because then you are to busy enjoying yourself and then thinking, why did I drive out here? :D
Caramel and chocolate?? Why haven't I ever heard of this before?? Onmeway 😁👍

After Brexit we ran out of Tarmac due to copyright restrictions! Luckily the Swiss came to the rescue
You are misinformed us sir as once again it is a British invention that wasn't patented 😁

Innovative Edgar Hooley, a Nottinghamshire County Council surveyor, pioneered the use of asphalt with a patented mixture to transform Radcliffe Road in West Bridgford into the world's first Tarmac road in 1902.

You are misinformed us sir as once again it is a British invention that wasn't patented 😁

Innovative Edgar Hooley, a Nottinghamshire County Council surveyor, pioneered the use of asphalt with a patented mixture to transform Radcliffe Road in West Bridgford into the world's first Tarmac road in 1902.
Did I say Tarmac? , I meant Caramac. Apologies. :sneaky:

Somewhat confused 🤔. To be fair I have only just awoke after a night of celebrations involving a lot of toblerone and whiskey ( never again), patented or no ?

American chocolate and American beverages, a lethal concoction. Do not try fixing it with American coffee! Get well soon. o_O
According to the labels ( I was curious) , Scotch beverage and Belgian/Swiss chocolate... but I stand to be corrected, what with usually being wrong 'n' all.
Feeling a lil' bit better, thank you.

Having done a 250+ mile trip a few days ago, during which there were short periods of 'excessive speed', I noticed some minor vibration via the steering wheel. As the journey was mostly on our poorly maintained motorways and trunk roads (A30/M5), I wasn't sure whether it was as a result of the state of the roads or a poorly balanced wheel. The speed involved was about 75-80 mph ( overtaking manoeuvre 😉). I noticed it several times and will be making the return trip sometime over the next few days, during which time I'll try and work it out.
To be fair it's only minor - I have had a poorly balanced wheel shake the gearbox seal apart in the past. Boy, how I wish I'd addressed that instead of leaving it and seeing what would happen - I was young 🤡.
So, anyone else experienced poorly balanced wheels on new mg4s ?
Hi Dea
I think it’s the lane assist telling you off when you get too close to the white lines on the road

Hi Dea
I think it’s the lane assist telling you off when you get too close to the white lines on the road
Hi Esi,
Thanks for your suggestion. I have all the assists turned off. After 25 years in IT it's not the computers I mistrust but the folks that program them. Never mind 'computer says no', computer can go expletive deleted itself.

According to the labels ( I was curious) , Scotch beverage and Belgian/Swiss chocolate... but I stand to be corrected, what with usually being wrong 'n' all.
Feeling a lil' bit better, thank you.
Toblerone is owed by Mondelez, an American conglomerate, over the years the valleys have widened and a mountain has gone missing ,400g down to 360g mid Atlantic Ridge spreading no doubt , my wife assures me that its also a lot sweeter than when Swiss owned. Putting on my deerstalker you put an "e" in whisky , a criminal offence in Scotland but acceptable in Bourbon, thus Moriaty I concluded you had indeed been on the Tennessee rye. There is a brand, from Lidl, which I can testify produces the same results you were experiencing this morning. As you quite rightly say "never again". :geek: Perhaps we have inadvertently found the source of the minor vibration you have been experiencing!!!!!!!!o_Oo_Oo_O

Last edited:
Thank you, standing corrected. The whisk(e)y is Haig Club Clubman bought for me as a birthday present by my daughter ( also provided a Toblerone).
It would appear to be distilled at Cameronbridge distillery. Unfortunately there would appear to be a certain Beckham involvement but beggars can't be choosers, merely grateful recipients. {hic}

( and I thought everything was Chinese these days? 🤔 )

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 500 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back