Model update: User feedback makes MG4 Electric even better (MG Press 24-05-2023)

(Google translated from offical MG press release on 24.05.2023 in German, source: Modell-Update: Nutzer-Feedback macht MG4 Electric noch besser - MG Motor Europe)
  • MG Motor is further upgrading the MG4 Electric - model year 2023 from now on at the MG Motor agencies
  • All models with even more extensive standard equipment, seat heating from the standard [1], heat pump now for the Comfort [2] and Luxury [3] variants as standard
  • One-Pedal-Driving, route-assisted battery preheating - further improvements of the MG4 Electric
Munich, Germany, May 24, 2023 – MG Motor has further upgraded the MG4 Electric for its customers. The 2023 model year of the hatchback brings new and additional equipment as well as further comfort and safety features. Only a few months after the successful market launch of the MG4 Electric, MG Motor is thus implementing initial feedback from customers and the trade press and further optimizing the currently most popular MG motor model.

Optimized battery preheating​

A new feature has been added to the preheating function available in all models in the Luxury variant. The battery can not only be actively preheated via setting via the 10.25-inch touchscreen, which improves the charging time, as with the standard and comfort equipment, but the process can also be carried out after the update using the navigation and depending on the route to a charging station can be automated.

One-Pedal-Driving and Co.: additional standard equipment for all models​

The equipment level of the MG4 Electric receives a further boost. Heated front seats, a heated steering wheel made of microfiber leather and 17-inch aluminum wheels with two-tone wheel trims are now part of the standard equipment for both the MG4 Electric Standard and the MG4 Electric Comfort.

The MG4 Electric Luxury is now standard on striking 18-inch aluminum rims with two-tone wheel trim. The heat pump previously reserved for the Luxury model is now also part of the standard equipment for the Comfort model. It heats the interior particularly efficiently, which means that a longer range can be available in cold temperatures.

All three model variants include a rear window wiper and now three rear headrests, which further increase the level of safety for passengers, as standard. In addition, all MG4 Electric variants can now be driven in comfortable one-pedal driving. Only by releasing the accelerator pedal is the moderate braking effect, even to a standstill, and thus the energy recovery triggered.

Prices remain low​

With the attractive facelift measures, MG Motor is further increasing the technical level of the MG4 Electric and incorporating customer wishes in terms of equipment. For those interested, the compact, fully electrified hatchback remains an extremely attractive entry-level model for electromobility.

After deducting the manufacturer's environmental bonus*, the MG4 Electric Standard is available in Germany from €32,312.50*. The MG4 Electric Comfort starts in Germany after the manufacturer environmental bonus* from €37,312.50, the MG4 Electric Luxury from €39,312.50. Thanks to the customer environmental bonus*, all models are eligible and the price can be up to €4,500 lower if a corresponding customer application is approved.
Source (in German): Modell-Update: Nutzer-Feedback macht MG4 Electric noch besser - MG Motor Europe

I honestly think the SE SR is the sweet spot in terms of value for money. There are a lot of things on the Trophy that I actively don't want, so it was the obvious choice for me. And show me another new EV even close to this spec that you can get for the price of one of these!

If I'd been interested in spending the price of a Trophy I'd probably have cast my net further and looked at some other cars in the mid-£33K bracket. But the SE SR doesn't even have competition.

I think the fact that so many people have indeed bought Trophies speaks to the general appeal of the car above and beyond its price point.

Last edited:
If we're still talking QOL upgrades for the Trophy I'd love if they altered the behaviour when reversing

My previous car, an old automatic E60, would engage the parking sensors when put in reverse but when you went back into D, they would stay on for a brief period. Handy when getting out of tight spaces

I'd love it if when reversing in the MG4 that when you put it back into D, the camera would switch to the front one but keep the rear sensors on. Then switch the rear back on when you go back to R etc. Again it would be very handy when parallel parking or otherwise trying to get out of a tight space

I do wish they'd switch to this style of rear headrest to improve rear visibility, especially since they're fitting a centre one in the update. These would sit a lot lower when not in use.

90672f92-dd11-4b8d-bcc6-fdd32cadaeb0.medium.jpg

I honestly think the SE SR is the sweet spot in terms of value for money. There are a lot of things on the Trophy that I actively don't want, so it was the obvious choice for me. And show me another new EV even close to this spec that you can get for the price of one of these!

If I'd been interesting in spending the price of a Trophy I'd probably have cast my net further and looked at some other cars in the mid-£33K bracket. But the SE SR doesn't even have competition.

I think the fact that so many people have indeed bought Trophies speaks to the general appeal of the car above and beyond its price point.
I bought a Trophy and certainly looked at alternatives in the price bracket. However all with a similar level of equipment were far more expensive and did not look as good to me. So I purchased the car based on the looks, the drive, price and equipment level.
Only after the purchase is when you experience the bugs and customer service level of MG and its 'Franchised' dealer network, is when the huge cracks start to show.

I could certainly write you an essay about the bugs, but when you really get down to it they are minor irritations that don't really detract from the joy of the car for me. While I'd certainly be very happy if MG came up and said, "OK Rolfe, here is a software update that will fix everything you've been bitching about," at the moment I regard them as the car's little foibles, no more.

Of course it's a all a matter of owner opinion, but Trophy owners may have a higher expectation given what they have paid for and would not regard oil leaks, bug ridden software and the like as the cars "little foibles". These findings are all addressable, and certainly should not be the challenge that they are to have them addressed.

I certainly agree that Trophy owners have the right to expect the features they paid extra for to be there and working. Also that, having paid more, they are entitled to compare what they have with what else could be had for the same price.

I would never regard an oil leak as a "little foible", or indeed being locked in the car or experiencing the speed/power limitation that some people have had. The bugs I've got really are trivial things.
  • The temperature readout on the HVAC is about five degrees too high
  • I can't stop the car locking me in when I drive off
  • The lights come on if the sun goes behind a cloud
  • The radio always comes on when I get into the car even if I'd turned it off before I left
  • The USB music player doesn't recognise folders
  • The car can't be pre-heated if it's plugged in but not charging
  • The app will only lock or unlock the car if I'm just testing it, never if I actually need the car to be locked or unlocked
I'm not counting the LKA thing here because that's clearly not a bug as such, it's a design defect that there isn't a quick one-button press to turn the thing off. But it is not killing me to turn it off on the infotainment screen before I drive off. As for the rest?
  • I actually really like the HVAC system. It achieves and maintains a comfortable temperature gently, without blasting me with hot or cold air. I'm not so bad at mental arithmetic that I can't subtract five.
  • This bugs me, but it seems most people don't mind. I'm getting used to it.
  • We all know the fix for the lights, so it's not a problem.
  • It's not that onerous to turn the radio off
  • The USB thing took a bit of work, but the work is done and my long opera "playlists" now play perfectly despite the brain-dead software
  • The pre-heating thing is likely to be a pain in the neck in winter, but probably more for other people than for me. I'm hoping enough people will yell at MG for this to be fixed.
  • I never had an app to lock or unlock any of my previous cars, ho hum.
I hope some or even all of these things might be fixed with software updates in the future, but in the mean time (or even if they aren't) none of these are issues that stop me enjoying the car. The way it drives, the fact that I'll never need to visit a petrol station ever again, the features that it does have that previous cars did not. I choose to relax and treat them as foibles rather than get all knotted up with fury about things that are pretty minor issues in the grand scheme of things.

If we're still talking QOL upgrades for the Trophy I'd love if they altered the behaviour when reversing

My previous car, an old automatic E60, would engage the parking sensors when put in reverse but when you went back into D, they would stay on for a brief period. Handy when getting out of tight spaces

I'd love it if when reversing in the MG4 that when you put it back into D, the camera would switch to the front one but keep the rear sensors on. Then switch the rear back on when you go back to R etc. Again it would be very handy when parallel parking or otherwise trying to get out of a tight space
The way around this I've found is to put the indicator on, when you're about to parallel park, it puts the 360 camera on so you can reverse and drive whilst still being able to see the birds eye view of the car. The reverse camera changes to the front camera when you select D to pull forward.

The way around this I've found is to put the indicator on, when you're about to parallel park, it puts the 360 camera on so you can reverse and drive whilst still being able to see the birds eye view of the car. The reverse camera changes to the front camera when you select D to pull forward.
Interesting! Assume you have to have the setting on to put the camera on at low speeds and turning?

Interesting! Assume you have to have the setting on to put the camera on at low speeds and turning?
Correct, this can be annoying when taking a normal low speed left/right turn, at traffic lights or a roundabout for example.

The 360 camera comes on when your speed is under 10mph, around 8mph possibly, and goes off when speed exceeds it - (only when you indicate)

I use it like so; indicate to parallel park, reverse in using the reverse camera and the overhead view (and mirrors) drive forward using the front camera for distance measurement. The camera screen stays on until you switch off or pull away and hit the nominated speed (8/9/10mph)

Won't the bigger wheels make for a more jarring and ride on the ridiculously deep potholes we now have in third world UK as well as more road noise? They usually do. Is this update the same as this due in September?:-

Or is this an old press release for September 22.? There is no date on it. I've not bought mine yet so need to know.

Won't the bigger wheels make for a more jarring and ride on the ridiculously deep potholes we now have in third world UK as well as more road noise? They usually do. Is this update the same as this due in September?:-

Or is this an old press release for September 22.? There is no date on it. I've not bought mine yet so need to know.
That is the original launch release from before any of us had an MG4

Bigger wheels should make ride more comfortable, however, I believe it may reduce range?
Low profile tires make a cars ride harder.

Bigger wheels should make ride more comfortable, however, I believe it may reduce range?
Low profile tires make a cars ride harder.
The bigger wheels on the 4 will have low profile tyres to keep the same rolling radius so in this case bigger wheels = harsher ride.

I certainly agree that Trophy owners have the right to expect the features they paid extra for to be there and working. Also that, having paid more, they are entitled to compare what they have with what else could be had for the same price.

I would never regard an oil leak as a "little foible", or indeed being locked in the car or experiencing the speed/power limitation that some people have had. The bugs I've got really are trivial things.
  • The temperature readout on the HVAC is about five degrees too high
  • I can't stop the car locking me in when I drive off
  • The lights come on if the sun goes behind a cloud
  • The radio always comes on when I get into the car even if I'd turned it off before I left
  • The USB music player doesn't recognise folders
  • The car can't be pre-heated if it's plugged in but not charging
  • The app will only lock or unlock the car if I'm just testing it, never if I actually need the car to be locked or unlocked
I'm not counting the LKA thing here because that's clearly not a bug as such, it's a design defect that there isn't a quick one-button press to turn the thing off. But it is not killing me to turn it off on the infotainment screen before I drive off. As for the rest?
  • I actually really like the HVAC system. It achieves and maintains a comfortable temperature gently, without blasting me with hot or cold air. I'm not so bad at mental arithmetic that I can't subtract five.
  • This bugs me, but it seems most people don't mind. I'm getting used to it.
  • We all know the fix for the lights, so it's not a problem.
  • It's not that onerous to turn the radio off
  • The USB thing took a bit of work, but the work is done and my long opera "playlists" now play perfectly despite the brain-dead software
  • The pre-heating thing is likely to be a pain in the neck in winter, but probably more for other people than for me. I'm hoping enough people will yell at MG for this to be fixed.
  • I never had an app to lock or unlock any of my previous cars, ho hum.
I hope some or even all of these things might be fixed with software updates in the future, but in the mean time (or even if they aren't) none of these are issues that stop me enjoying the car. The way it drives, the fact that I'll never need to visit a petrol station ever again, the features that it does have that previous cars did not. I choose to relax and treat them as foibles rather than get all knotted up with fury about things that are pretty minor issues in the grand scheme of things.
There is the option to turn auto lock off.
I read a post the other day that someone else said that they wish they could do it.

I thought I had seen the option when I first got the car but as my wife likes it it stayed on.

To make sure I wasn't imagining it I had a look the other day and I definitely have the option to turn auto door lock on or off.

If you can't find the option i will have a look later this evening and let you know

There is the option to turn auto lock off.
I read a post the other day that someone else said that they wish they could do it.

I thought I had seen the option when I first got the car but as my wife likes it it stayed on.

To make sure I wasn't imagining it I had a look the other day and I definitely have the option to turn auto door lock on or off.

If you can't find the option i will have a look later this evening and let you know

The option to turn it off that Trophys have is not there on the SE.

The bigger wheels on the 4 will have low profile tyres to keep the same rolling radius so in this case bigger wheels = harsher ride.

That's certainly what I was told when I was buying my Golf GTi. 18" alloys were an optional extra, and people on the forum were salivating about how good the 18" wheels looked. I didn't understand them then and I don't understand it now. I don't see the visual attraction of those low-profile tyres, and everyone agrees the ride is bumpier.

As an extra bonus, I was able to put winter tyres on my 17" alloys no problem. Those with 18" alloys were having to buy 16" steel winter wheels for the car to accommodate winter tyres.

That's why I think it's a bug. Most of the differences between the models make perfect sense in terms of the differentiation of the Luxury brand - although I still think leaving off the electrically-folding wing mirrors from the SE is penny-pinching too far. But a couple of things that are purely software-related (this, the fact that the USB music player won't support folders, and the radio coming on every time you start the car) seem to me to be simple mistakes in the SE software.

The main comfort/safety/convenience
That is the original launch release from before any of us had an MG4

features for me are 17" wheels, blind spot monitoring and folding door mirrors. At one point I thought I'd found a car that had all three but it appears MG have followed the lunatic route of 18" wheels. Of course these cars are never designed and tested on UK roads so they don't understand the massive jolting of our pot holes and road noise increase on our concrete and course tar mac. But they should understand reduced fuel consumption. Looks like will have to go for the bottom of the range and forego some of the things I really like.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 493 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back