Model update: User feedback makes MG4 Electric even better (MG Press 24-05-2023)

(Google translated from offical MG press release on 24.05.2023 in German, source: Modell-Update: Nutzer-Feedback macht MG4 Electric noch besser - MG Motor Europe)
  • MG Motor is further upgrading the MG4 Electric - model year 2023 from now on at the MG Motor agencies
  • All models with even more extensive standard equipment, seat heating from the standard [1], heat pump now for the Comfort [2] and Luxury [3] variants as standard
  • One-Pedal-Driving, route-assisted battery preheating - further improvements of the MG4 Electric
Munich, Germany, May 24, 2023 – MG Motor has further upgraded the MG4 Electric for its customers. The 2023 model year of the hatchback brings new and additional equipment as well as further comfort and safety features. Only a few months after the successful market launch of the MG4 Electric, MG Motor is thus implementing initial feedback from customers and the trade press and further optimizing the currently most popular MG motor model.

Optimized battery preheating​

A new feature has been added to the preheating function available in all models in the Luxury variant. The battery can not only be actively preheated via setting via the 10.25-inch touchscreen, which improves the charging time, as with the standard and comfort equipment, but the process can also be carried out after the update using the navigation and depending on the route to a charging station can be automated.

One-Pedal-Driving and Co.: additional standard equipment for all models​

The equipment level of the MG4 Electric receives a further boost. Heated front seats, a heated steering wheel made of microfiber leather and 17-inch aluminum wheels with two-tone wheel trims are now part of the standard equipment for both the MG4 Electric Standard and the MG4 Electric Comfort.

The MG4 Electric Luxury is now standard on striking 18-inch aluminum rims with two-tone wheel trim. The heat pump previously reserved for the Luxury model is now also part of the standard equipment for the Comfort model. It heats the interior particularly efficiently, which means that a longer range can be available in cold temperatures.

All three model variants include a rear window wiper and now three rear headrests, which further increase the level of safety for passengers, as standard. In addition, all MG4 Electric variants can now be driven in comfortable one-pedal driving. Only by releasing the accelerator pedal is the moderate braking effect, even to a standstill, and thus the energy recovery triggered.

Prices remain low​

With the attractive facelift measures, MG Motor is further increasing the technical level of the MG4 Electric and incorporating customer wishes in terms of equipment. For those interested, the compact, fully electrified hatchback remains an extremely attractive entry-level model for electromobility.

After deducting the manufacturer's environmental bonus*, the MG4 Electric Standard is available in Germany from €32,312.50*. The MG4 Electric Comfort starts in Germany after the manufacturer environmental bonus* from €37,312.50, the MG4 Electric Luxury from €39,312.50. Thanks to the customer environmental bonus*, all models are eligible and the price can be up to €4,500 lower if a corresponding customer application is approved.
Source (in German): Modell-Update: Nutzer-Feedback macht MG4 Electric noch besser - MG Motor Europe

The press release does not specifically mention UK spec cars so some of the changes may not be applied here (eg heat pump).
Its baffling that the third rear headrest and a rear wiper will be added now rather than having been included from launch.
Was just on to mg Ireland and the updated mg 4 does not have a heat pump, I presume that's all right hand drive models

Uk. I ordered an MG4 SE Long Range in early June, due to be delivered late September. So I will be getting one pedal driving, heat pump, rear wiper, rear middle headrest and rear ohshit handles? I’ve heard this from a few internet searches

Uk. I ordered an MG4 SE Long Range in early June, due to be delivered late September. So I will be getting one pedal driving, heat pump, rear wiper, rear middle headrest and rear ohsh*t handles? I’ve heard this from a few internet searches
I don't think the UK spec cars are getting heat pumps

The bigger wheels on the 4 will have low profile tyres to keep the same rolling radius so in this case bigger wheels = harsher ride.
The tyre size on the existing 17" wheels seems to be 215/50/17 and the new 18" are 235/45/18, so a 5% variance in the side wall aspect ratio, which doesn't seem to be much of a difference (1.75mm lower profile for the 18s).

The main comfort/safety/convenience

features for me are 17" wheels, blind spot monitoring and folding door mirrors. At one point I thought I'd found a car that had all three but it appears MG have followed the lunatic route of 18" wheels. Of course these cars are never designed and tested on UK roads so they don't understand the massive jolting of our pot holes and road noise increase on our concrete and course tar mac. But they should understand reduced fuel consumption. Looks like will have to go for the bottom of the range and forego some of the things I really like.
Don't think the 18 inch wheels will have that much of an impact, I wouldn't class them as low profiles from what I've seen the have a 45 side wall ratio

When did they release the 18 wheels? I ordered my Trophy LR in April? Delivery is this week!! Any idea what I’ll get?

Probably a MY23 version, so 18" wheels, rear wiper, 3rd rear headrest, one pedal driving etc.

Probably a MY23 version, so 18" wheels, rear wiper, 3rd rear headrest, one pedal driving etc.
Oh ok, I must admit I wasn’t aware of any changes as am leasing through my company. I read there are quite a few changes including the loss of 11kwh charging. Is there a spec list anywhere?? Thank you for responding.

Click on the Specs link. Under the Performance item you'll note that there's no timing given for 11kW charging.

Oh ok, I must admit I wasn’t aware of any changes as am leasing through my company. I read there are quite a few changes including the loss of 11kwh charging. Is there a spec list anywhere?? Thank you for responding.

Only the LR 77 have 11kW charging now. The lower end models are capped at 6.6kW.

Thanks. I wonder why they would do this? Other than an incentive to go for the Extended Range…
Little point me investing in a 3 phase type 2 cable then for public charging?

I have a 3-phase 32A Type 2 cable even though my SE SR will only charge at 6.6kW. But I got it a) for future proofing and b) because it was only £85 brand new from Tesla. :)

(No longer available via the Tesla store - at least to non-Tesla accounts).

I have a 3-phase 32A Type 2 cable even though my SE SR will only charge at 6.6kW. But I got it a) for future proofing and b) because it was only £85 brand new from Tesla. :)

(No longer available via the Tesla store - at least to non-Tesla accounts).
That is a good point, I am leasing for 3 years so need to think about what’s next. Thanks I’ll look around. 😊

We have the updated model in NZ. Reading the above, it certainly seems to have improved some minor issues people were having.

• The LKA doesn't feel as bod as people have been saying one here. Had it a couple of times, just feels like tramlining.
  • The aircon is no worse (WRT temp setting) than my previous 2-3 cars.
  • 18" wheels with 235's are pretty grippy, not too harsh over bumps.
  • The radio seems to have a mind of it's own. Sometimes it decideds to stay on at start, sometimes not
  • Auto lights seems to work as I'd expect.

Little things I have noticed though:

• Drivers seat (electric) lacks a memory function. Would be helpful, as my wife is shorter than me, and getting it back to my position is fiddly.
  • Drivers seat also doesn't feel symetrical. The RH thigh bolster sticks into my thigh, but the left feels fine.
  • Stereo lacks 'depth'. Not a lot of bass. Good tone and seperation otherwise.
  • No interior light in the middle of the roof. Makes putting the little one in her car seat a bit of a blind task with the dark interior and rear tinted windows.

Otherwise, love the car. Yet to take it on a long drive, longest has been <200km. TBH, the furtherest we'd be likely to go regularly is 200-220km from Auckland to the in-laws in Tauranga.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 498 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back