Model update: User feedback makes MG4 Electric even better (MG Press 24-05-2023)

(Google translated from offical MG press release on 24.05.2023 in German, source: Modell-Update: Nutzer-Feedback macht MG4 Electric noch besser - MG Motor Europe)
  • MG Motor is further upgrading the MG4 Electric - model year 2023 from now on at the MG Motor agencies
  • All models with even more extensive standard equipment, seat heating from the standard [1], heat pump now for the Comfort [2] and Luxury [3] variants as standard
  • One-Pedal-Driving, route-assisted battery preheating - further improvements of the MG4 Electric
Munich, Germany, May 24, 2023 – MG Motor has further upgraded the MG4 Electric for its customers. The 2023 model year of the hatchback brings new and additional equipment as well as further comfort and safety features. Only a few months after the successful market launch of the MG4 Electric, MG Motor is thus implementing initial feedback from customers and the trade press and further optimizing the currently most popular MG motor model.

Optimized battery preheating​

A new feature has been added to the preheating function available in all models in the Luxury variant. The battery can not only be actively preheated via setting via the 10.25-inch touchscreen, which improves the charging time, as with the standard and comfort equipment, but the process can also be carried out after the update using the navigation and depending on the route to a charging station can be automated.

One-Pedal-Driving and Co.: additional standard equipment for all models​

The equipment level of the MG4 Electric receives a further boost. Heated front seats, a heated steering wheel made of microfiber leather and 17-inch aluminum wheels with two-tone wheel trims are now part of the standard equipment for both the MG4 Electric Standard and the MG4 Electric Comfort.

The MG4 Electric Luxury is now standard on striking 18-inch aluminum rims with two-tone wheel trim. The heat pump previously reserved for the Luxury model is now also part of the standard equipment for the Comfort model. It heats the interior particularly efficiently, which means that a longer range can be available in cold temperatures.

All three model variants include a rear window wiper and now three rear headrests, which further increase the level of safety for passengers, as standard. In addition, all MG4 Electric variants can now be driven in comfortable one-pedal driving. Only by releasing the accelerator pedal is the moderate braking effect, even to a standstill, and thus the energy recovery triggered.

Prices remain low​

With the attractive facelift measures, MG Motor is further increasing the technical level of the MG4 Electric and incorporating customer wishes in terms of equipment. For those interested, the compact, fully electrified hatchback remains an extremely attractive entry-level model for electromobility.

After deducting the manufacturer's environmental bonus*, the MG4 Electric Standard is available in Germany from €32,312.50*. The MG4 Electric Comfort starts in Germany after the manufacturer environmental bonus* from €37,312.50, the MG4 Electric Luxury from €39,312.50. Thanks to the customer environmental bonus*, all models are eligible and the price can be up to €4,500 lower if a corresponding customer application is approved.
Source (in German): Modell-Update: Nutzer-Feedback macht MG4 Electric noch besser - MG Motor Europe

OK thats interesting.
MG will keep or lose me as a customer on this next round. Current Trophy is good overall yet the lack of updates/fixes/comms is a major worry.

Next wave (v2.0 if you will) could add what I really miss and think the car needs to remain competitive with others:
Heat pump
One-pedal mode (make it a on screen toggle switch, remember last set)
Audio upgrade option

Yet software fixes should be all new and existing cars:
  • No preheat when charging idle
  • Steering wheel shortcuts should match on all trims and include LKA off
  • Stability of infotainment/Bluetooth
  • Nav doesn’t plot chargers ‘en-route’
  • Improve efficiency calculation
  • Preheat/charge scheduling fixes

I fear the fixes won’t happen for existing cars and most should be invisible. Yet the platform doesn’t seem setup to rollout software at all and the dealer based updates are confused, slow and time consuming with no incentive to do them unless a warranty break/fix or yearly service. This is on MG and not the fault of individual dealers.

SAIC are yet to document/release their APIs so no support integration with chargers, solar, apps etc. Nice to see efforts from the community to reverse engineer this.

Fixes/improvements may only happen on new vehicles and if so, I’m out. The competition from the other China brands will be fierce and they are dealing with software/user experience better in my opinion (Ora Cat, Geely/Volvo/Polestar, BYD, NIO, Xpeng). Plus then you have Tesla, Lucid, Kia, Hyundai of course…

VW group, Stellantis group and Toyota are all falling behind badly.

Last edited:
OK thats interesting.
MG will keep or lose me as a customer on this next round. Current Trophy is good overall yet the lack of updates/fixes/comms is a major worry.

Next wave (v2.0 if you will) could add what I really miss and think the car needs to remain competitive with others:
Heat pump
One-pedal mode (make it a on screen toggle switch, remember last set)
Audio upgrade option

Yet software fixes should be all new and existing cars:
  • No preheat when charging idle
  • Steering wheel shortcuts should match on all trims and include LKA off
  • Stability of infotainment/Bluetooth
  • Nav doesn’t plot chargers ‘en-route’
  • Improve efficiency calculation
  • Preheat/charge scheduling fixes
Heat Pump - yes my Leaf had one - and I 'think' it helped .. But the larger range on my Trophy covers 98% of my long distance drives without to many issues (AC Heating or Cooling on) - So no major biggy - Nice to have yes - Would I part ex mine and buy a newer one just to have this - NOPE - New car - Different manufacture I'd check if its 'standard or option and consider.

One-Pedal mode - Was left ON - on my Leaf - Do I miss it - No - Reason - The 4 feels free'err - Its hard to explain, but we have an older leaf that doesnt have one-pedal mode & that rolls as free as the 4 ..

Pre-Heat whilst still plugged in - That's MY ONE WISH that should be 'resolved' with my existing car - didn't MG sort that for the gen 1 MG 5

My other Wish that they would SORT is the Windscreen spray bars and the USELESS facility on cleaning the screen they actually give you - Spray hitting the wiper Arm and not above the wiper arm ?!

Laggy infotainment screen - Hope that will improve with s/w patches..

I think i'm learning a fast, hard and likely expensive lesson here. I knew the car was well priced and as so, expected some corners to be cut. The car is a decent car but there are bugs and an extensive wish-list of improvements.
The bit that gets to me is that both of the above seem to be stuck as they they stand, with only MG able to move things forwards. As MG stands this appears unlikely to move, that coupled with their very poor customer service leads me to consider moving myself to an alternative well established brand with good customer service. So this time I will be starting from that end first.... customer service ...then car.

If we can get some decent infotainment upgrades underway the car will be even more liveable day to day.

Shortcuts (customisable) on the main infotainment screen are definitely high on my list of software changes. E.g
• LKA-OFF/ON
• Shut Down

It's an android tablet, can't be very difficult for them to do.
OMFW, a one-stop button to switch that darn LKA off, I dream of such a thing! Even better, the ability to permanently switch it off. My list of irritating glitches with this car [edit - not cat, I have 2 cats but the Venn diagram of irritating glitches doesn't have much overlap!] is growing and growing. I'm ready to switch and I've only had it 2 months 😕.

Last edited:
I've got a similar list, but I see them all as just minor annoyances that I can work round. I certainly wouldn't want to pay £10,000 more for a car just to get rid of these small issues - and maybe find more issues, because no car is perfect. Mind you, I haven't had mine seven weeks yet.

OMFW, a one-stop button to switch that darn LKA off, I dream of such a thing! Even better, the ability to permanently switch it off. My list of irritating glitches with this car [edit - not cat, I have 2 cats but the Venn diagram of irritating glitches doesn't have much overlap!] is growing and growing. I'm ready to switch and I've only had it 2 months 😕.

I feel your pain, the glitches and foibles can be irritating.

My main issues are relatively minor, mere design flaws or software bugs/foibles. All should be fixable but whether or not current gen owners see the fixes is another story.

LKA for me is usually gentle and not intrusive, but sometimes it feels like its had enough and wants to plough me into oncoming traffic. I don't need it or use it, so it gets turned off on longer/higher speed journeys.

I've had to reset the infotainment screen a couple of times by holding the home button, as it comes on frozen on the black screen. A few times it hasn't engaged rear view/360 camera.

Android Auto should be wireless.

AEB Autonomous Emergency Braking has had a couple of ghost activations in the same day, none before, none since 🤞 but it was pretty hairy as there was no warning or reason, although I was only driving at 5mph or so pulling into a parking space.

Bluetooth is a bit hit/miss.

USB music is badly laid out and has no real memory function.

There are probably a few more minor irritations, I just don't let them bother me too much. I got an exceptionally good deal with this car through a friend, so wouldn't be able to replicate it let alone get anything close for the money I pay for it.

OMFW, a one-stop button to switch that darn LKA off, I dream of such a thing! Even better, the ability to permanently switch it off.

From my understanding on the 1st batch versions (which is what I have) - the LKA had a memory, in that it remembered what setting it had when you parked the car, but was updated to default to on at start-up (for the NCAP safety assessment?) on later models.

Mine is slightly strange in that it says that it is on when i get in, but as soon as I hit the brake peddle to engage drive, the slider on the display glides accross to off (thankfully - as LKA is woeful, for the odd time that i tried it! )

I feel your pain, the glitches and foibles can be irritating.

My main issues are relatively minor, mere design flaws or software bugs/foibles. All should be fixable but whether or not current gen owners see the fixes is another story.

LKA for me is usually gentle and not intrusive, but sometimes it feels like its had enough and wants to plough me into oncoming traffic. I don't need it or use it, so it gets turned off on longer/higher speed journeys.

I've had to reset the infotainment screen a couple of times by holding the home button, as it comes on frozen on the black screen. A few times it hasn't engaged rear view/360 camera.

Android Auto should be wireless.

AEB Autonomous Emergency Braking has had a couple of ghost activations in the same day, none before, none since 🤞 but it was pretty hairy as there was no warning or reason, although I was only driving at 5mph or so pulling into a parking space.

Bluetooth is a bit hit/miss.

USB music is badly laid out and has no real memory function.

There are probably a few more minor irritations, I just don't let them bother me too much. I got an exceptionally good deal with this car through a friend, so wouldn't be able to replicate it let alone get anything close for the money I pay for it.
That's the point that most people miss... The Price!
Ya gets what ya pays for!
If I had the money, say 40 to 50k I would have probably bought summat else. And that's what it would cost to POSSIBLY get what y'all want. 😀
Just sayin 😉

From my understanding on the 1st batch versions (which is what I have) - the LKA had a memory, in that it remembered what setting it had when you parked the car, but was updated to default to on at start-up (for the NCAP safety assessment?) on later models.

Mine is slightly strange in that it says that it is on when i get in, but as soon as I hit the brake peddle to engage drive, the slider on the display glides accross to off (thankfully - as LKA is woeful, for the odd time that i tried it! )
You should try the brake pedal - it's much better ;)

I've got the muscle memory now to get in, press brake pedal, turn LKA to alert only and be on my way. It's a minor inconvenience at most now but it would be nice if it did remember, like the car we had before did.

You should try the brake pedal - it's much better ;)

I've got the muscle memory now to get in, press brake pedal, turn LKA to alert only and be on my way. It's a minor inconvenience at most now but it would be nice if it did remember, like the car we had before did.
Did you know that LKA comes back on (when in alert only mode) when cruise control is engaged, then switches off when disengaged?

Did you know that LKA comes back on (when in alert only mode) when cruise control is engaged, then switches off when disengaged?
Mine doesn't do this with ACC cruise control. It does if using TJA though....

Mine doesn't do this with ACC cruise control. It does if using TJA though....
Let me check - as the LKA challenge is a mystery, I seem to have found a bunch of settings that it never steers (i.e. steering wheel on driver display is yellow, NOT green), which it remembers to stay off all the time (1st batch of car)

Let me check - as the LKA challenge is a mystery, I seem to have found a bunch of settings that it never steers (i.e. steering wheel on driver display is yellow, NOT green), which it remembers to stay off all the time (1st batch of car)
AFAIK - If you use ACC and LKA is switched off, it will stay off (until you restart the car). If you are using TJA, Traffic Jam Assist, some people use this as a sort of autonomous driving as TJA also has lane keeping switched on. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong. In TJA mode, the steering wheel symbol should go green when the car is comfortable that it can see the lane markings so sometimes it will be off eg on an A road with poor markings but on a motorway it should go green.

EDIT, if you are in an early car with no updates, the LKA/TJA was shockingly bad

AFAIK - If you use ACC and LKA is switched off, it will stay off (until you restart the car). If you are using TJA, Traffic Jam Assist, some people use this as a sort of autonomous driving as TJA also has lane keeping switched on. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong. In TJA mode, the steering wheel symbol should go green when the car is comfortable that it can see the lane markings so sometimes it will be off eg on an A road with poor markings but on a motorway it should go green.

EDIT, if you are in an early car with no updates, the LKA/TJA was shockingly bad
Is 1st March classed as early?

I'll check, but from recollection TJA is to be avoided, in my eyes (1st batch), TJA did the steering & ACC did the distance - just didn't like the steering part, but the ACC is fine, and does stop to a halt if using it. - both are off on default - ACC can be switched on from the steering wheel, which is useful on motorways / A roads

Is 1st March classed as early?

Depends if that is delivery or build date I guess.....

I'll check, but from recollection TJA is to be avoided, in my eyes (1st batch), TJA did the steering & ACC did the distance - just didn't like the steering part, but the ACC is fine, and does stop to a halt if using it. - both are off on default - ACC can be switched on from the steering wheel, which is useful on motorways / A roads
I'm not a fan of the TJA even with the latest updates. The ACC is not fantastic either to be honest IMO, still get phantom braking and it slows down way too much for corners

I'm not a fan of the TJA even with the latest updates. The ACC is not fantastic either to be honest IMO, still get phantom braking and it slows down way too much for corners
How strange, dont get that with ACC on, it does slow a few % (very gently) if you turn the wheel going round a corner (1st batch of car), but its not noticeable on a 50mph A road (with myself steering!), it may drop to 48, and then get back to 50 when in a straight line again.

That's the point that most people miss... The Price!
Ya gets what ya pays for!
If I had the money, say 40 to 50k I would have probably bought summat else. And that's what it would cost to POSSIBLY get what y'all want. 😀
Just sayin 😉

If I was spending 33k outright on a car, I'm not sure I'd be taking the Trophy. I might have stumped for an older Tesla 3.

It fell on my lap, and the cars I had to choose from within the scope of the deal through my friend were fairly limited, and the 4 looked to be the best overall deal for me (again, within the scope of said deal available) issues included.

The Born looks a solid car, but it's not without its own problems, and the looks aren't there for me.

The 2008 is FWD and doesn't handle particularly well, it also feels fairly small.

But.. had I been able to get the same deal in a years time, I might have still went with the Trophy, only by then the issues should be ironed out.

I'm currently driving round in a 2023 1.0 TSI Seat Arona Auto hire car whilst on holiday, and it's fairly naff in comparison to the 4. The infotainment system isn't very straightforward, but the Android Auto and LKA works very well, as does the Adaptive Cruise.

I miss the way the 4 drives though.

Last edited:

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 470 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 79 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 45 7.6%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums