Motorway efficiency test MG4 Trophy

Nigelleics

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Hi. I thought I'd spend this nice day seeing what difference it made changing the Regen settings and testing the efficiency at gentle motorway speeds.

I did 2 runs of 27 mile there, 27 mile back along the A46 dual carriageway from North Leicester to Newark. This allowed a clear run with no slowdowns apart from a roundabout at start and finish.

Mode was set to Normal in both cases. Radio off, auto lighting off, maintaining speed between 60 and 65mph. Sunny weather with light winds.

In test 1 I left regen on setting 3, whilst in test 2 I changed it to level 1 in order to give more coasting and less engine braking.

The results are as follows (please don't laugh!)
Test 1: 54.9 miles, 3.8 ml/kw
Test 2: 54.9 miles, 3.8 ml/kw

As you can see from the pics the range decreased by 69 miles during the 2nd run of 55 miles. I reckon this gives a range of 235 miles, though I'll want to do further tests at 56 mph and 70mph to see to what extent speed is a factor. I'll probably also test the eco mode out of curiosity.

Attachments

• 20221011_145220.jpg
    20221011_145220.jpg
    185.9 KB · Views: 182
  • 20221011_135107.jpg
    20221011_135107.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 183
In comparison to my old Ford C Max diesel which did 65mpg at similar speeds, this gives a breakeven cost per kwh of 47.8p

Edit: I'm certainly interested in any more suggestions for improving the economy and further testing.

I think you're correct. The economy around town at <30mph is fantastic, regularly getting over 5ml/kw, which is certainly un-diesellike. It's just a matter of getting over 4 on motorways without being part of a lorry train.
I made a quick trip to town today and was stunned to see this !
And no it's not all downhill 🤣
It's relatively flat throughout the journey
There was a little queuing here and there.
I know it was only just over 3 miles but as you can see from average mph I wasn't crawling
20221011_160214.jpg

I made a quick trip to town today and was stunned to see this !
And no it's not all downhill 🤣
It's relatively flat throughout the journey
There was a little queuing here and there.
I know it was only just over 3 miles but as you can see from average mph I wasn't crawling
View attachment 11762
Which driving mode were you in?

Hi. I thought I'd spend this nice day seeing what difference it made changing the Regen settings and testing the efficiency at gentle motorway speeds.

I did 2 runs of 27 mile there, 27 mile back along the A46 dual carriageway from North Leicester to Newark. This allowed a clear run with no slowdowns apart from a roundabout at start and finish.

Mode was set to Normal in both cases. Radio off, auto lighting off, maintaining speed between 60 and 65mph. Sunny weather with light winds.

In test 1 I left regen on setting 3, whilst in test 2 I changed it to level 1 in order to give more coasting and less engine braking.

The results are as follows (please don't laugh!)
Test 1: 54.9 miles, 3.8 ml/kw
Test 2: 54.9 miles, 3.8 ml/kw

As you can see from the pics the range decreased by 69 miles during the 2nd run of 55 miles. I reckon this gives a range of 235 miles, though I'll want to do further tests at 56 mph and 70mph to see to what extent speed is a factor. I'll probably also test the eco mode out of curiosity.
Hi Nigel, thanks for all the detailed data. I just preordered my MG4 SE long range in White yesterday. I was just wondering where you ordered your and how long it taken till it was delivered to you. Also what spec and colour did you go for ?

Hi Nigel, thanks for all the detailed data. I just preordered my MG4 SE long range in White yesterday. I was just wondering where you ordered your and how long it taken till it was delivered to you. Also what spec and colour did you go for ?
I ordered mine from the first shipment and got it on the 29th September. Black trophy

I ordered mine from the first shipment and got it on the 29th September. Black trophy
Oh nice, so you probably ordered around the beginning of Sept ... that is quite fast consider our dealership lead times!
I am hoping I can do 56mph on the motorway and get at least 4-4.2 miles per kwh in January time. Do you think that is realistic with heater only on 18 C ish

Oh nice, so you probably ordered around the beginning of Sept ... that is quite fast consider our dealership lead times!
I am hoping I can do 56mph on the motorway and get at least 4-4.2 miles per kwh in January time. Do you think that is realistic with heater only on 18 C ish
I'd imagine 4+ at 56mph is doable especially with a bit of assistance from lorries. I'm intending to do a few more tests on my chosen route from before.
1) 60-65mph as before but with ECO mode to see if there's any difference. My foot's gentle so probably not.
2) 70-75mph
3) 56mph using lorries where possible without getting silly close.

I'd imagine 4+ at 56mph is doable especially with a bit of assistance from lorries. I'm intending to do a few more tests on my chosen route from before.
1) 60-65mph as before but with ECO mode to see if there's any difference. My foot's gentle so probably not.
2) 70-75mph
Going of thread a little, as yours is one of the first batch. Have you had the oil leak and undertray issues at all ?

2) 70-75mph
You don't need to get close to trucks at 56 mph.

I've just done a return trip from Chesterfield to Liverpool in my Outlander phev brick, 77 miles each way with 23 miles electric range outbound and 1 mile range at the start of the return.

Plenty of hills at the Derbyshire side.

Regen contributed enough for 66% of the outbound to be ev and 50% on the return with electric efficiency 4.2miles per kwh.

Much of the trip on motorway at 56 plus excursions into higher speeds to pass vehicles travelling at 56 on over-reading speedos rather than gps, and on minor roads matching general traffic speeds.

If you can't better 4 miles per kwh with an MG4 you're doomed as an ev driver, doomed I tell ye 😱🙂

I've just done a return trip from Chesterfield to Liverpool in my Outlander phev brick, 77 miles each way with 23 miles electric range outbound and 1 mile range at the start of the return.

Regen contributed enough for 66% of the outbound to be ev and 50% on the return with electric efficiency 4.2miles per kwh.

Much of the trip on motorway at 56 plus excursions into higher speeds to pass vehicles travelling at 56 on over-reading speedos rather than gps, and on minor roads matching general traffic speeds.

If you can't better 4 miles per kwh with an MG4 you're doomed as an ev driver, doomed I tell ye

If you can't better 4 miles per kwh with an MG4 you're doomed as an ev driver, doomed I tell ye 😱🙂
Hi, thanks for your detailed input... i can't wait till I get my MG4 SE Long range...

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 530 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back