Motorway signage

jollyman

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Has anyone noticed adverts for ev charging on the big signs on the motor way,the ones for mc Donald’s and m&s just before the services etc,because I have several times driven in services and there’s been no ev chargers at all , what a waste of time, when a simple stick on sign would tell wether to stop or not. Am I missing something or not?

Has anyone noticed adverts for ev charging on the big signs on the motor way,the ones for mc Donald’s and m&s just before the services etc,because I have several times driven in services and there’s been no ev chargers at all , what a waste of time, when a simple stick on sign would tell wether to stop or not. Am I missing something or not?
The opposite is also evident where you will see no advertising of ev charge points but there are chargers available. They always have the knife & fork sign and the petrol pump sign but nothing for EV charging. The motorway services really need to catch up and provide multiple rapid EV charging at every services .

In fact what would be nice would be real time led signage which told you how many charge points were available. This is obviously fantasy. 😄
Well if you link in to ZAP MAP using apple car play of Android auto etc, you can have all of that information, which ones are broken, which ones are free etc along with the cost per kWh.

Exactly I have zap map but unless you pay for premium service you don’t get that info about motorway services and as I do 95% of my charging at home I’m not going to pay for more subs that I do not use often, where as an led sign describing if they have them or not or if they or available or if they are working, at the 500yard point before the services would be

Exactly I have zap map but unless you pay for premium service you don’t get that info about motorway services and as I do 95% of my charging at home I’m not going to pay for more subs that I do not use often, where as an led sign describing if they have them or not or if they or available or if they are working, at the 500yard point before the services would be
It would be of use for sure, it would be much better if it was integrated into vehicle technology though so that real time calculations can be done in conjunction with GPS etc. Pretty much what Tesla have done in USA.

Nobody would ever use the charger points then!! 🤣
You mean they have a choice? If youre down at 2% and the charger is there with £1.50 kWh whatcha going to do?

Yes far too much ha ha might happen one day
When I was working in USA I had travel from New York to Pittsburgh Pennsylvania every week, a nice 400 mile journey and having never been in an electric car they gave me a Tesla Model X. The destination was keyed in to the sat nav, my boss just let the do it all. We set off, on the freeway it was autodriving and kept pinging up about charging along the route. I was ready for a stop so accepted a charger it offered it not only drove me off the freeway but it reserved the charger and drove straight to it. I plugged in and went for a coffee. It messaged me when I had enough charge to reach my destination and again to say it was full. The charging was free too. For 6 months I was working there and was totally sold on electric cars, I would have loved a model X but it's well out of my price range. It was a demonstration of just how good EV's in general can be if we do the joined up thinking on the infrastructure instead of everyone doing there own thing.

When I was working in USA I had travel from New York to Pittsburgh Pennsylvania every week, a nice 400 mile journey and having never been in an electric car they gave me a Tesla Model X. The destination was keyed in to the sat nav, my boss just let the do it all. We set off, on the freeway it was autodriving and kept pinging up about charging along the route. I was ready for a stop so accepted a charger it offered it not only drove me off the freeway but it reserved the charger and drove straight to it. I plugged in and went for a coffee. It messaged me when I had enough charge to reach my destination and again to say it was full. The charging was free too. For 6 months I was working there and was totally sold on electric cars, I would have loved a model X but it's well out of my price range. It was a demonstration of just how good EV's in general can be if we do the joined up thinking on the infrastructure instead of everyone doing there own thing.
Joined up thinking and UK government. I see an obvious problem !

Joined up thinking and UK government. I see an obvious problem !
To be honest, joined up thinking and ANY government can be an issue. My experience in USA was absolutely down to Elon Musk who has been a one man crusade in EV development.

I have to admit that the government imposing EV sales targets on manufacturers which will be ramped up each year can only be a good thing as the incentive will be there for the charging infrastructure to also ramp up (money to be made) from the increase in vehicles. I just hope that when labour takes over (it's inevitable) they continue with this policy or maybe even take it further.

Actually on my way to the Fully Charged Live show in Harrogate I called into the Service area at Ashby-de-la-Zouch. I was pleasantly surprised to see the charge point cost clealy illuminated.
20230518_115830.jpg

It was also about 10p cheaper than I pay for rapid charging down in the south. It was also fast. By the time I had walked to the starbucks and ordered the coffee the charging had finished. Very pleased.

Last edited:

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 544 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel