Motorway signage

jollyman

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Has anyone noticed adverts for ev charging on the big signs on the motor way,the ones for mc Donald’s and m&s just before the services etc,because I have several times driven in services and there’s been no ev chargers at all , what a waste of time, when a simple stick on sign would tell wether to stop or not. Am I missing something or not?

Actually on my way to the Fully Charged Live show in Harrogate I called into the Service area at Ashby-de-la-Zouch. I was pleasantly surprised to see the charge point cost clealy illuminated.
View attachment 17839
It was also about 10p cheaper than I pay for rapid charging down in the south. It was also fast. Buy the time I had walked to the starbucks and ordered the coffee the charging had finished. Very pleased.
I have not seen that before, and it's a positive change. As long as there were multiple charge points.

I wonder whether we'll start to see price competition between companies at busy service stations. I'm seeing two or even three different companies with chargers at the same place.
I admire your optimism. ;)

I believe the word Cartel might be relevant in such a situation. :)

Actually on my way to the Fully Charged Live show in Harrogate I called into the Service area at Ashby-de-la-Zouch. I was pleasantly surprised to see the charge point cost clealy illuminated.
View attachment 17839
It was also about 10p cheaper than I pay for rapid charging down in the south. It was also fast. Buy the time I had walked to the starbucks and ordered the coffee the charging had finished. Very pleased.
I wonder if they make it cheaper off peak eg 12:00 - 04:30?

Unless they're getting off-peak rates themselves then I doubt it ... if someone needs a charge at that time of night then they'll still pay the higher tariff.

Unless they're getting off-peak rates themselves then I doubt it ... if someone needs a charge at that time of night then they'll still pay the higher tariff.
It would be nice if a company like Octopus got involved and offered off peak rates on rapid chargers. I suppose I can dream.

Motorway service stations are designed for the lazy or time short drivers who don't want to divert off the motorway to find cheaper facilities, and as they don't reduce petrol and diesel prices during off peak times, I doubt they will reduce the price of recharging EVs.

It would be nice if a company like Octopus got involved and offered off peak rates on rapid chargers. I suppose I can dream.
I know it doesn't apply to motorway services, but Octopus have their "7-11" scheme, where using an Osprey rapid between 7pm-11pm with an Electroverse card gives a 20% discount.

Also, I have seen Gridserve logos on services signs recently.

I know it doesn't apply to motorway services, but Octopus have their "7-11" scheme, where using an Osprey rapid between 7pm-11pm with an Electroverse card gives a 20% discount.

Also, I have seen Gridserve logos on services signs recently.
Ive only recently got my Electroverse sign up invitation, I havent used it in anger yet. Thanks for the info.

Motorway service stations are designed for the lazy or time short drivers who don't want to divert off the motorway to find cheaper facilities, and as they don't reduce petrol and diesel prices during off peak times, I doubt they will reduce the price of recharging EVs.
But with respect, Petrol and Diesel buying prices dont change during the set hours, electricity buying prices can and that differential could be offered to the customers.

That is ideal it’s what is necessary to attract more people to buy ev s,it’s about as rare though as hens teeth ,and where I live in the south west will be the last place in the country ,all the way up the m5&m6 to be installed.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 544 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back