Moving to Octopus - current situation?

Dekkerb

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Hi
We're coming to the end of our OVO 2 year fix in a couple of weeks. We have looked at what's out there. We have a mark one MG5 SR. Over a year we use 5.6k kw charging the car and 5.3kwh on other domestics use. We were looking at getting a cheap overnight rate to charge the car and run major appliances etc. Octopus seemed the best offering but on the forum I've seen that you can't just move to a product, that some products (eg Agile) might be limited to existing Octopus customers and there is a 6 month waiting list to go on their gas tracker. Separately we are looking at getting 2 or 3 batteries but that's a whole other issue. Just really looking for advice on making the move and best product combo, accepting we will initially have to on their standard tariff initially thinking about waiting times to move products and is it, as some have said, better to phone to move things along. Any help appreciated. Thanks

Just an edit to say we moved to Octopus tracker which has made our OVO deal of 20p/kwh, which we thought was cheap, look expensive. No worries about setting timers and the like for limited night hours as in other products. Very happy and recommend to EV drivers who want an easy, good value product.

Last edited:
Like all suppliers you have switch to them first, before you can transfer onto their 'special' tariffs once they are happy they are getting reading from your meter. Ring them to transfer, tell them your intentions and it will be fairly speedy with Octopus.
Octopus is easy as the daytime tariff is virtually the same as the normal daytime.
Other supplier have other options.

Check your local tariff by inputting postcode, do not press enter, just scroll down. Filter by domestic and smart. All our tariffs | Octopus Energy

Last edited by a moderator:
There are many threads on this subject. If you use the search function you can browse them at your leisure for the information you need. Summarising all the threads, it depends on your usage pattern as to which provider gives you the best deal. You need to look over your previous years bills to get your usage data.

Thanks Gomev for your ever helpful response. A friend has shared a referral code put appreciate the nudge. It's reassuring to hear the process is pretty swift. Sounds like the gas tracker takes 6 months but worth it in the end I guess.

Last edited by a moderator:
Octopus are great
I use Octopus Go the price has just dropped to 9p for cheap rate period .
I also use Solar panels and a Tesla powerwall so effectively the maximum I pay for electric is 9p per unit or even less if the sun is out!
I find octopus very easy to deal with and easy to control (unlike some )
They were even good getting the smart meter working as we live in an area where mobile signals are very poor ( they fitted a booster aerial)

Regarding the Agile tariff; do you have/ have you checked for api (vehicle/charger) compatibility with Octopus? I haven't seen a published matrix of current (sorry) compatible combinations, but our mg4 + Hypervolt isn't one of them. Agile seems, by some margin, the best tariff if you can schedule and/or smart-manage some of your domestic use. Eventually they'll want to control your domestic battery too, but expect further rapid evolution of tariffs to accommodate 'Intelligent-Flux' style optimisation.

I don't think you need anything special to get onto Agile.
For Go you need an EV.
For Intelligent Octopus you need an Ohme.
Flux is a solar tariff.
Check out the Gas Tracker too.

I changed over to Octopus, currently on the Go tariff at 9p per KWH 0030-0430once my Ohme charger is installed I’ll change to Intelligent Octopus, 7.5p per KWH 2330-0530. The changeover from Shell energy was very straightforward and easy to do, very impressed with Octopus so far and the app is excellent.

Hi, Agree Octopus is excellent, so unlike most other suppliers.
I was on Fixed Go faster. When that ended changed to Agile, sounds from other comments that Agile is favourite. I have Home mini also which gives live home readings.

I moved back to Octopus on Saturday and changed to Intelligent this morning. You need the link to sign up though and I got this by emailing them. They replied pretty much straight away as well.

I don't think you need anything special to get onto Agile.
For Go you need an EV.
For Intelligent Octopus you need an Ohme.
Flux is a solar tariff.
Check out the Gas Tracker too.
I don’t think you need an Ohme. I have got Intelligent Octopus and have a Wallbox Pulsar Plus. I got an email recently saying the beta had finished and it was now officially supported.

This is what I got from Octopus that Wallbox chargers now supported by them.

The small print on Intelligent Octopus says that it is 7.5p in the cheap period but also that if the algorithm chooses to charge outside that time window it will still only be at 7.5p.

That is nice.

Attachments

• IMG_1116.png
    IMG_1116.png
    361.7 KB · Views: 65
The small print on Intelligent Octopus says that it is 7.5p in the cheap period but also that if the algorithm chooses to charge outside that time window it will still only be at 7.5p.

That is nice.
That's only if the car is actively charging not just plugged in.

Octopus Agile rates have been so low over the last 30 days that for us (and presumably others) Octopus Go is only just about worth being on, literally a few pounds in it.

The very nature of Agile means its of course had to predict whether this will continue, but thought i’d point it out.

I have just join Octopus and having trouble to connect my MG EV ZS to the overnight charging rate.
In conversation with Octopus are telling me MG are not there list therefore cannot offer the overnight charge rate, even with a Ohme charger, Is this true or false?

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom