My car rolled forward after parking

So no handbrake turns, very impressed with the traction control and abs on snow.
Used to put the hand brake on as I jumped out of my sliding door Bedford and time it to be level with the rear doors, never got it right. We cant do the hand brake parking trick either

The handbrake button absolutely does work whilst driving - I've tested it on an open road. It applies all four brakes including the ABS to do an emergency stop.
You are right. I checked a few places and it does work at high speed. I may have mixed up with the circular P button when I was reading about it :(

Tried the handbrake going down hill on a muddy lane from 20 mph, ABS brought it to a very abrupt stop.
I had a Morris minor, locking the wheels in the wet didn't slow it up much

Hi all. Thanks for all the replies.

I think I might have worked out what happened. It was an icy slope and didnt happen straight away, it was only a couple of hours later I came back to find it further forward, so it could have happened a few minutes after parking, or an hour... im really not sure.

So when I park on a downhill slope I now take my foot of the brake before pressing 'P' and I can hear what I think is the brakes locking (I presume its the Autohold brakes)..... then I press the 'P' and a further locking sound is heard. Double locking.

Previously I used to press 'P' without taking my foot off the brake (so didnt allow for the 1st autohold braking) and put straight into P. Does it sound like this could have been the cause?

Interesting post.
There does seem to be one flaw that I came across
Our car is parked on a sloping drive. One day when it was charging on the granny we had to move it urgently, so my wife got in and tried to reverse it (still connected). It seems to fire up as usual but put into reverse it won't go -but the brakes come off and the car rolls forward! It does the same if you try D for forward. This could be very dangerous.
I flagged it to the garage where we bought it but they said they could do nothing without seeing for themselves. Thats as far as it got.

If the car is still plugged in, it will deliberately not allow you to select D or R. So if it's in neutral and the parking brake is off, it will roll.

I cannot understand why it is possible to "start" the car at all whilst it is charging. That is a staightforward error in the logic. The most that should be possible is to have the radio on.

I can foresee occasions, once we’re out of lockdown, where I might well want the car on whilst charging, particularly at a rapid charger so that the heating or air con can be used whilst taking a charge.

I switch off while in D, no neural or P, I think a worm geared motor puts the rear brakes on for parking.
I put the ACC on going down hill once a week, uses the friction brake due to software error and cleans the discs.
I do t believe it is software related - it was designed that way and a flow through from the ICE system. MG have previously stated it is so they can rely on the brake during operation. More expensive systems clearly use both but you get what you pay for.

Put it another way, even if the car is turned on when plugged in to charge, why is it possible to engage Drive or Reverse - any change from Park should be inhibited.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom