My car rolled forward after parking

I expect the electric hand brake act the same as a manual hb .if you pulled a handbrake up while moving it would apply the cable to the brakes and slow the car or skid hence handbrake turns etc

See my previous comment - pulling the handbrake switch whilst driving activates emergency braking of all four wheels - using the ABS. There is no lock up.

My wife has put her bag there a few times while i'm driving and i moved it straight away .nothing has happened and i'm sure it must have pressed it even only for a second or so

My wife has put her bag there a few times while i'm driving and i moved it straight away .nothing has happened and i'm sure it must have pressed it even only for a second or so
Pressing "P" on the selector whilst driving does nothing.

Pressing "P" on the selector whilst driving does nothing.
Do you know if selecting P applies any additional parking lock - or just the handbrake?. E.g. on a conventional automatic gearbox P gives a transmission lock.

Do you know if selecting P applies any additional parking lock - or just the handbrake?. E.g. on a conventional automatic gearbox P gives a transmission lock.
Pressing park only locks the back wheels. There is nothing in the handbook about a transmission lock; it states that when "P" is selected it activates the Electronic Parking Brake.

Thanks. Does anyone know what the difference is between the auto-hold and the handbrake? They seem to do different things. Does auto-hold apply the front brakes and the parking brake the rear?

The auto-hold uses the handbrake. When you come to a stop it engages the handbrake automatically, pulling away it automatically disengages when enough torque is applied to stop it rolling back.

The Hill Hold Control uses the cars brake system by holding brake pressure after the brake has been released to stop the car rolling.

If you try pulling up on a hill using auto-hold - then apply the parking brake - the car rocks back after being held on the rear brake.

The handbook is confusing. It says the Auto Hold puts the car in park.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210125-150533.png
    Screenshot_20210125-150533.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 136
yes - the user manual is not great. I think that the auto-hold applies pressure to the brake pads holding them on the discs - independent of the parking brake function - but I could be wong!

Pressing "P" when driving does nothing - I've tried it.
Pulling the "EPB" (handbrake switch) whilst driving initiates emergency braking and activates all four wheels - I've tried it.
Thanks for that I have been worried about pushing the P while driving, perhaps the ICE version has it and it was copied to EV instructions. My hand brake is slow and the car slides a bit on my steep drive as there is short delay between the hydraulic brake coming off and the rear brakes winding on, used to slide to bottom before I cleaned it.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom