My first MG video for a while.....Am I wrong...?

Just watched that m8.
First of all kudos for making any content at all, as I know just how much time and effort must have gone into making it.

Second, don't get your "hair off" (Brizzle)
about anything I've said.
You wanted feedback. Here is some.
🤣👍

My app has worked flawlessly from day one, but I can understand how frustrating it must be for you with it not working, and I don't know what to suggest (my phone is Samsung S22 and my software is R40)

LKA is not designed for that bit of road you were on (but I am sure you know that)

You are joking about "obstacle very close with the bikes on the back" aren't you?

The car is constantly looking out for problems, (cross traffic assist) so of course it will see the bikes and think they are an issue.
Use Tow Mode? I would have thought to alleviate that?

Mine doesn't announce the date, weather or tell me how to drive, so can only assume a software update?

What software version do you have out of interest?

I don't see your issue with the cameras coming on at the junction, the car tells you countless times where your going, when coming up to a "real" roundabout for you to remember.
The fact that you say" Imagine this a roundabout" then come up to a junction! Of course it will put on the cameras to assist, its a junction! 🤣

Lovely Cat!

I don't have an issue with the main drivers display and can read all of it without issue, but It would be handy to customise it if you wanted to.

Yes a bad dealer experience really can affect a future buying decision.

I've had a Tesla Model 3 and would never go back. Just the windscreen wipers would stop me ever buying another one.
But I still benefit from the Supercharger network. In fact it's how I charge 99% of the time as I can't charge at home.

I love my XPower and have got use to turning off the LKA as a lot of my driving is done on country roads, but my previous Etron couldn't cope either, so definitely not an MG specific problem.

If we all drove from London to Lands end, and back again, all the time, then yes, I could see that extra cost might irk. (Eventually)

If you are driving all over the country, all of the time then having the car work out, and know the charging stops ahead of time is great.
But in reality most of us do the same old journeys (me anyway) most of the time and only need to know where are "go to" chargers are.

Once again, Thanks for the video.
Always interesting to see other folks opinions and views from " Their World"

Last edited:
Just watched that m8.
First of all kudos for making any content at all, as I know just how much time and effort must have gone into making it.

Second, don't get your "hair off" (Brizzle)
about anything I've said.
You wanted feedback. Here is some.
🤣👍

My app has worked flawlessly from day one, but I can understand how frustrating it must be for you with it not working, and I don't know what to suggest (my phone is Samsung S22 and my software is R40)

LKA is not designed for that bit of road you were on (but I am sure you know that)

You are joking about "obstacle very close with the bikes on the back" aren't you?

The car is constantly looking out for problems, (cross traffic assist) so of course it will see the bikes and think they are an issue.
Use Tow Mode? I would have thought to alleviate that?

Mine doesn't announce the date, weather or tell me how to drive, so can only assume a software update?

What software version do you have out of interest?

I don't see your issue with the cameras coming on at the junction, the car tells you countless times where your going, when coming up to a "real" roundabout for you to remember.
The fact that you say" Imagine this a roundabout" then come up to a junction! Of course it will put on the cameras to assist, its a junction! 🤣

Lovely Cat!

I don't have an issue with the main drivers display and can read all of it without issue, but It would be handy to customise it if you wanted to.

Yes a bad dealer experience really can affect a future buying experience.

I've had a Tesla Model 3 and would never go back. Just the windscreen wipers would stop me ever buying another one.
But I still benefit from the Supercharger network. In fact it's how I charge 99% of the time as I can't charge at home.

I love my XPower and have got use to turning off the LKA as a lot of my driving is done on country roads, but my previous Etron couldn't cope either, so definitely not an MG specific problem.

If we all drove from London to Lands end, and back again, all the time, then yes, I could see that extra cost might irk. (Eventually)

If you are driving all over the country, all of the time then having the car work out, and know the charging stops ahead of time is great.
But in reality most of us do the same old journeys (me anyway) most of the time and only need to know where are "go to" chargers are.

Once again, Thanks for the video.
Always interesting to see other folks opinions and views from " Their World"
Thanks for your reply and I welcome all feedback and yes...It took me about 16 hours to make that video...

The part of the video with the bikes on the back is part of one I'm making about "tow mode" interestingly after you turn it off the parking sensors don't automatically start again 😳 I had to reset all the functions...
It seems the cars are getting better and its frustrating the "faults" I have should be an easy fix foe SIAC but once you buy you're no longer a priority....
Hopefully it came across as a positive piece but telling the truth as well...All the usual reviews are done over a day or two...
I am working on a few videos, road trip charging, using the granny charger and how touring with and charging bikes with the car for example..

I'm looking forward to trying the X-power and maybe making a more positive video about it 😎

I'm off to Austin TX next month 😏 🤐 but I have the day job to do before that

Thanks again

Welcome back Captain, Thanks for trying to put pictures onto a few of the gripes which populate these pages, I cannot comment on the Trophy spec foibles , I am a pauper and got the SE LR , I have not connected the app/phone and find the car works fine for me the way it is . Anything I do not like is disabled , one way or another and most of us have found their own personnel work arounds to overcome MG rushed production targets. There is going to be an onset of better cars coming onto the market at prices which will make MG up their game and hopefully present owners may get better software updates on the back of that, but personally I think your assessments of once MG have your money then, go fish, may be more accurate. As to the question would I buy it again, well at the price I paid absolutely yes, it was by far the most complete package for the cost compared to to competition and everything wrong is mainly niggles, which may be the same with other brands at a higher price point. We do not have the financial resources to keep changing cars so the decision to get the MG4 was thought out to the enth degree and we will have to stick by that decision for a long time . Good video and keep em coming!

I am absolutely with @OriginalBigAl. I had a budget for a new car which I did not want to exceed. The MG4 SE SR was the only runner at that price point. (I could have stretched to the LR if I had really needed the range/faster charging, but I didn't.)

I do have some gripes and I agree there is at least a suspicion that MG don't care about customers once they have handed over their money. Improvements are about snaring new customers, not about rectifying easily fixed glitches for the existing ones.

Nevertheless I have workrounds for the glitches, which are more annoying than deal-breaking. I do get the impression that the Trophy has more instability in its software and more people complaining about that, though. The SE seems to be more stable, and once you have its measure it doesn't throw curve-balls at you.

I have the app connected and it usually works OK. If it doesn't, it usually seems to be because the car has gone to sleep. I have plugged in my phone to get Android Auto working and it is extremely good. I think I could have paid a lot more and not got anything that was any better.

And the car is a dream to drive.

Thanks for your detailed video. I can well understand some of your frustrations.

My app has generally been ok. It sometimes doesn't connect at home and when this happens, I find that if I turn wifi off on my phone and use the mobile network it does connect. That's really odd as it shouldn't make a difference, I only tried initially as our wifi is quite shonky. If I had your problems, I wouldn't be happy either.

I presume that you want the camera to come on at junctions? Mine came set like that and I found it quite distracting and, like you, found it annoying that it covered the navigation when it came on. I turned off that option for the camera in the settings very early on and had forgotten I had that feature until I watched your video!

I'm also lucky that my LKA remains off all the time, although my car is going for its first service this week so I'll be interested to see what the dealer does and what happens after that.

I still love driving it a year after getting it.

Last edited:
Thanks for your detailed video. I can well understand some of your frustrations.

My app has generally been ok. It sometimes doesn't connect at home and when this happens, I find that if I turn wifi off on my phone and use the mobile network it does connect. That's really odd as it shouldn't make a difference, I only tried initially as our wifi is quite shonky. If I had your problems, I wouldn't be happy either.

I presume that you want the camera to come on at junctions? Mine came set like that and I found it quite distracting and, like you, found it annoying that it covered the navigation when it came on. I turned off that option for the camera in the settings very early on and had forgotten I had that feature until I watched your video!

I'm also lucky that my LKA remains off all the time, although my car is going for its first service this week so I'll be interested to see what the dealer does and what happens after that.

I still love driving it a year after getting it.
How did it go after your service 🤔

Hi Captain
I have only just noticed a tiny settings wheel on the 360 camera screen.
You can turn it off if you want.
Apologies if already mentioned.👍
(Above volume UP button)

20231029_152436.jpg

(y)Let me know how you get on at its 1st service, I'm avoiding going in as need LKA to stay off

(y)I agree with the captain : but a base model new 3 is still twice the price as whats my current SE is worth, I only need superchargers very rarely as about 99% of my journeys are from home, or known locations where i can get power overnight. Just thinking back - how often did I need to fill up our ICE car away from home, about once / year - so for us its no problem. My 1st car was an ford XR2 with a 40 litre tank, and then I had a ford puma - again similar tank? - so 200 miles between fill up was very normal.

How did it go after your service 🤔
LKA now comes on by default, so I'm having to deal with it every start. :(

Rather than turning it off completely, I'm setting it to alert only just to see how often it triggers. It seems quite random really - sometimes it boings the moment I touch a white line and at other times not. Yesterday I was driving on a dual carriageway and deliberately drove across the line and it often didn't alert me. Yet on the lanes around home it did alert even though there was no white line.

I did briefly try it on its medium setting (can't remember what it's called) and when it triggered it was just a brief and reasonably gentle nudge on the steering wheel.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 511 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back