My trip in a Tesla model 3

Gomev

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
4 of us, all males, went on a day trip to Leicester from Leeds last week, well how did it go?

My son in law had got himself a model 3 in December as his company perk and is thrilled to bits with it so decided he would get us there and back. Including pick ups and drop offs a return journey of around 232 miles, far enough to require a charge somewhere along the way. The weather was freezing, we set off at zero and returned at -4C.
Being a newbie to EVs and currently finding it difficult to drive at EV friendly speeds we were doing 70-75 all the way where possible which was most of the way.
Got to Leicester and headed straight to the Fosse Superchargers, 8 of them 1 not working, to top up ready for the return journey, SOC was now 38% down from the starting 100%. There was a queue, we were second in line. Fortunately only waited about 10 minutes and charged up to 75%. His thoughts were only used 62 outward so 75 should be enough. We went to the event and made the return journey similar speeds.
Actually arrived back with 16%, so quite impressed considering the load, speed and temperature.

Would I swap my 5 for a M3.....NO.
It was noisy in the back and the ride was not the best, and I really couldn't cope with that tablet stuck on the dash. What I would like is the Tesla motor and it's efficiency plus the supercharger network of course.

This is just one journey so maybe I am wrong, but no I still wouldn't swap right now.

Some People lust after a Tesla, just based on the name and the cult following. I just recommend that if you do, try one first. Give it a decent try out, before you decide.

How do you imagine this same journey would have gone in an MG5 or 4?

At those speeds and with that load you would be relying upon the public charging network that is worse than SuC alternatives so it would have been harder to find a charger and taken longer to charge.

I visited Tesla and took a M3 and a MY for a test drive the other week. By any reasonable metric they are better EVs than anything that MG currently sell. Yes, they are considerably more expensive and not perfect but if you are needing a car to carry out regular long distance road trips they are better than pretty much anything else. The MY in particular would be adept at transporting 4 adults over long distances at speed in comfort.

Now if you can charge at home and, rarely travel beyond the range of your vehicle and on a budget or need the space that an estate car offers it is easier to make the case for an MG.

The rear seats in the Model 3 have a relatively high floor and are not particularly comfortable for adults. But there is no way that my LR would manage that length of journey at that speed in that weather.

How do you imagine this same journey would have gone in an MG5 or 4?

At those speeds and with that load you would be relying upon the public charging network that is worse than SuC alternatives so it would have been harder to find a charger and taken longer to charge.

I visited Tesla and took a M3 and a MY for a test drive the other week. By any reasonable metric they are better EVs than anything that MG currently sell. Yes, they are considerably more expensive and not perfect but if you are needing a car to carry out regular long distance road trips they are better than pretty much anything else. The MY in particular would be adept at transporting 4 adults over long distances at speed in comfort.

Now if you can charge at home and, rarely travel beyond the range of your vehicle and on a budget or need the space that an estate car offers it is easier to make the case for an MG.
I was a back seat passenger (not driver) and it was awkward getting in and out and not the most comfortable ride and was noisy, tyre roar. Apart from that, I totally agree with you, I did say I would like the motor for it's efficiency and the network for charging.
If I was making regular long road trips of 200+ miles it would be certainly be the car for the job, unless it was Christmas of course (we've all seen the pictures LOL). However I and the vast majority don't make regular long journeys.
Whilst the MG has it's faults, it is comfortable and I've come to enjoy driving in a more relaxed manner, it doesn't really seem to take much longer to get anywhere.

I was a back seat passenger (not driver) and it was awkward getting in and out and not the most comfortable ride and was noisy, tyre roar. Apart from that, I totally agree with you, I did say I would like the motor for it's efficiency and the network for charging.
If I was making regular long road trips of 200+ miles it would be certainly be the car for the job, unless it was Christmas of course (we've all seen the pictures LOL). However I and the vast majority don't make regular long journeys.
Whilst the MG has it's faults, it is comfortable and I've come to enjoy driving in a more relaxed manner, it doesn't really seem to take much longer to get anywhere.
I agree that it is lower and more difficult for those of us of a certain age (and I very much include myself) to get into a M3 than a MG5 and the passenger comfort is probably not so good. For the driver a M3 is pretty good and for all occupants a MY is much more roomy and comfortable.

A Tesla can use all the same charge points as a MG and has access to the supercharger network. They also charge significantly faster and are generally more efficient so use less energy to travel a given distance. Anyway you look at it rapid charging a Tesla is a better experience than charging an MG. Even at Christmas.

As you say, for most people, most of the time a MG will get you from A to B just as effectively as a more expensive EV. Choice is good though.

Have you actually sat in the back of an MG5 for a journey? I find that although kneeroom is fine I can't get my feet under the front seat so have to sit at an awkward angle and there is no under thigh support. I also find my MG5 to be really noisy at motorway speeds, much noisier than my previous Modeo 2.0 diesel and my wife's Corsa electric.

I decided to replace my 10 year old 5 series BMW with Electric as 95% of my journeys are within 50 miles of home and my daughter lives in central london so there is a cost consideration by going electric into London. I purchased my MG5 a year ago after looking around at all the alternative E vs on the market the size and cost were a major consideration, The Tesla Y was an option but too expensive and I had heard of build quality issues? I also made the decision that I wouldnt have gone electric if I didnt have othe ICE cars for holidays and longer distance travel as until the charging network is better the MG5 stays local. After a years use and 5000 miles I am very happy with the MG5. my only slight concern is the decline in range during the recent cold weather a full charge only seems to do around 170/180 miles admittedly i have the heater on high and heated seats as well Obviously the Tesla scores with its charging network if you are doing long distances

4 of us, all males, went on a day trip to Leicester from Leeds last week, well how did it go?

My son in law had got himself a model 3 in December as his company perk and is thrilled to bits with it so decided he would get us there and back. Including pick ups and drop offs a return journey of around 232 miles, far enough to require a charge somewhere along the way. The weather was freezing, we set off at zero and returned at -4C.
Being a newbie to EVs and currently finding it difficult to drive at EV friendly speeds we were doing 70-75 all the way where possible which was most of the way.
Got to Leicester and headed straight to the Fosse Superchargers, 8 of them 1 not working, to top up ready for the return journey, SOC was now 38% down from the starting 100%. There was a queue, we were second in line. Fortunately only waited about 10 minutes and charged up to 75%. His thoughts were only used 62 outward so 75 should be enough. We went to the event and made the return journey similar speeds.
Actually arrived back with 16%, so quite impressed considering the load, speed and temperature.

Would I swap my 5 for a M3.....NO.
It was noisy in the back and the ride was not the best, and I really couldn't cope with that tablet stuck on the dash. What I would like is the Tesla motor and it's efficiency plus the supercharger network of course.

This is just one journey so maybe I am wrong, but no I still wouldn't swap right now.
Until Elon bought Twitter I would have jumped at buying a tesla (preceeding the necessary lotto win of course). But his twitter folly, I couldn't buy one knowing his views on his workers. That's my moral stand, however I do recognise the many strengths And weaknesses of Tesla's
I understand people wanting access to the charger network and I think you can now (seen some posts) but what I would love from MG is over the air Software updates. VW do this on the ID models too, yet I have to trundle into the dealer, loose the car for a day and hope the system works, as my dealer often says the link doesn't work

Personally i think the Tesla Model 3 looks awful, it’s like a toy car and appears to be a CAD designed like they gave up at the front because it was a Friday afternoon! I couldn’t live with that sole tablet screen controlling everything in the car with nothing else to look at in the interior, it’s a saloon so totally impractical, and just my take but the rear lights are pathetic.

I drove a model 3 and have ordered a Long Range Model 3 -good to drive and is most efficient for its battery size in all long range tests see Mat watson
a few days ago Carwow in cold weather i Drive the longest range cars till they die.
having driven the MG four LR i would say it has better ride and handling but I was too concerned about quality issues so far and range in cold weather -one years time when sorted with extra range it will be the one to buy !
Fit and finish of the Model 3 i test drove was good -BTW i rented a MGZS petrol recently with 30,000 miles -drivers car carpet worn through -steering wheel worn, stitching loose -paintwork poor and some software issues -disappointing

matt Watson

Attachments

• 24A779CB-01EA-41EF-92A9-797DC62BE114.jpeg
    24A779CB-01EA-41EF-92A9-797DC62BE114.jpeg
    281.2 KB · Views: 70
I love my MGZSEV Long Range, it's done everything I wanted and range has been as hoped for, that's 280—300 in summer and 220 in depth of winter. I don't want an M3 because it's got a boot not a hatchback and Tesla have been way too expensive for me. BUT, now the MY with its proper hatchback space is down to £44k new, then it's very attractive when compared to a £34k ZSEV or even a £40+ Niro/Kona/Kia EV6 or ID4.

I test drove the ORA Cat yesterday. And the MG4 and refreshed ZS EV last year. In many respects they are all better than my Model S. Significantly in price, obviously.
But the main reason I bought the S (as well as it being my dream car) is frustration after 5 years battling against the public rapid charging infrastructure. Or lack thereof. I’ve made lots of videos about it.
Since having the Tesla, I haven’t had charging anxiety once. Just set off on the drive and let the car tell me where I need to go to charge.
I’m afraid I’d buy an ICE car rather than any electric other than a Tesla until there are at least a couple of rapid chargers on at least 70% of petrol stations.

I’m afraid I’d buy an ICE car rather than any electric other than a Tesla until there are at least a couple of rapid chargers on at least 70% of petrol stations.

That's a strange metric. Given the current trend towards massive batteries and the cost differential between home and Rapid charging most people will rarely use Rapid charging, and only when on long journeys. For me charging hubs on major routes make far more sense than a couple of Rapids in towns. I find it a PITA to arrive at a single or double Rapid just after someone else has started charging, potentially for an hour. At least at a large hub the chances of another one coming free are improved. For the site owner with a Rapid EVs are probably a bit like buses, none for hours then two come along together.

Have to admit I'd think twice about having an EV if I was regularly having to fuel up on public facilities. Less about the cost mroe about the inconvenience.

My mate regularly does a 200 mile journey once a month and says on the basis of that he wouldn't want an EV. I'd probably put up with that for the other benefits, but I don't try to persuade him either way.

The huge advantage of owning a Tesla is the strength of charging infrastructure, without any shadow of a doubt IMHO.
If you are churning out a LOTS of miles, then the reliability of their chargers simply can’t be beaten, end of story.
If you are a non Tesla owner and are only covering journeys that is achievable within the range of your pack, without the need to charge on route, then it really does not make that much of difference TBH.
Now that some other manufacturers EV’s are being offered with bigger packs, that are able to cover same / more miles than a Tesla fitted with smaller packs, in which case the super charging network is not that super important.
You have to get your usage case right !.
I think it is okay to say, that the big majority of Tesla owners purchase one simple because of the support of super charger network that comes with it, and I think that is very fair and correct.
I wonder if they will continue to feel that way IF that exclusivity fails away, IF the super charger network opens up beyond the small trail run that is currently in place at the moment ?.
OBTW - I don’t own a Tesla myself, but I do understand why owners would be angry 😡.
I know the government have been applying pressure on Tesla for a while now, hence the “start up” trail.
Will this be expanded - who know’s ?????.
I mean let’s be honest here, if Tesla decided to do it, then they will just do it !.
They had no regard for the recent owners when they slashed 6 to10 grand off the price of a model 3 / Y over night a few weeks ago.
Dirty trick that !.

I test drove the ORA Cat yesterday. And the MG4 and refreshed ZS EV last year. In many respects they are all better than my Model S. Significantly in price, obviously.
But the main reason I bought the S (as well as it being my dream car) is frustration after 5 years battling against the public rapid charging infrastructure. Or lack thereof. I’ve made lots of videos about it.
Since having the Tesla, I haven’t had charging anxiety once. Just set off on the drive and let the car tell me where I need to go to charge.
For anyone doing regular long journeys or without home charging I'd agree with you. Many people rarely drive more than 200 miles in a day in which case 'regular' EVs may serve them well.

A friend of mine is trying to sell him model S at the moment. He has been disappointed with the build quality and doesn't enjoy some of the autonomous driving features, in particular the changing of speed when merging and tendency to auto brake sharply when it mistakenly thinks it is about to hit something. Problem is he reckons his car has devalued by about £10k in past few months, and lost more than the total price of a MG4 in the two and a half years he has owned it.

The depreciation of Telsa cars does provide an opportunity for second hand buyers though and Model 3 cars in particular are now looking good value. With 30 odd thousand pounds to spend you can have a brand new MG4, or MG5, or a decent used M3. That isn't a choice you would have had 6 months ago.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom