MZ ZS EV Infotainment screen goes off

I The infotainment screen on my new ZS has frozen up in the phone screen position. I have noticed other issues in the past few weeks, primarily being unable to return to the main screen while in the phone screen mode. Any comments?
Try the reboot by holding the centre home button until the screen goes off and the MG symbol appears.

I The infotainment screen on my new ZS has frozen up in the phone screen position. I have noticed other issues in the past few weeks, primarily being unable to return to the main screen while in the phone screen mode. Any comments?
I don’t think you can if you’re connected and on a phone Call.

The infotainment screen went blank for the first time yesterday. The car has done 1700 miles. As I was driving I did not have time to sort it out.

However when I pressed the down arrow on the right side of the steering wheel to change screens on the dashboard it lit up again and the radio came on!

There is an update for the infotainment screen going blank and it speeds up the response, it was released in the last month, contact your dealer for software update.

Try the reboot by holding the centre home button until the screen goes off and the MG symbol appears.
I held down the centre button and the system rebooted after about 10 seconds. I will say that I initially contacted MG Customer Service and after some time on the phone they came back and said there was no way to reset/reboot the system. Then, when I contacted MG in Bushy - spoke to a very pleasant and helpful agent - he also said he was not aware of any reset/reboot procedures, and booked me in for September. In light of how simple it was to correct this problem, it is disappointing that the service people at both customer service and the dealership did not have this information to hand!

I held down the centre button and the system rebooted after about 10 seconds. I will say that I initially contacted MG Customer Service and after some time on the phone they came back and said there was no way to reset/reboot the system. Then, when I contacted MG in Bushy - spoke to a very pleasant and helpful agent - he also said he was not aware of any reset/reboot procedures, and booked me in for September. In light of how simple it was to correct this problem, it is disappointing that the service people at both customer service and the dealership did not have this information to hand!
I hope this resolved the problem for you, but you are correct it’s a shame..

I should be surprised that no one knew how to reboot at MG. I should be… but I’m not.

There is an update for the infotainment screen going blank and it speeds up the response, it was released in the last month, contact your dealer for software update.
MG service bulletin number :- 0020 is my understanding.
Only available for the ZS EV at the moment.
The problem of the screen crashing / freezing / turning black has been going on since the launch of the ZS EV.
I reported this to my supplying dealer service department, in late Jan 2020.
We collected the car in early Jan 2020 and are still awaiting for the promised follow up call in a couple of days ⏰😞 !.

MG service bulletin number :- 0020 is my understanding.
Only available for the ZS EV at the moment.
The problem of the screen crashing / freezing / turning black has been going on since the launch of the ZS EV.
I reported this to my supplying dealer service department, in late Jan 2020.
We collected the car in early Jan 2020 and are still awaiting for the promised follow up call in a couple of days ⏰😞 !.
I got my ZS in December '19. Still love the car. The screen kept going blank sometimes the radio still played other times silence and blank screen. I reported it to the dealer who checked it over and couldn't find anything wrong. I took it back to the dealer a few times for this, no faults found. Screen still goes blank occasionally but comes back on . I suppose we'll just have to live with it unfortunately.

I got my ZS in December '19. Still love the car. The screen kept going blank sometimes the radio still played other times silence and blank screen. I reported it to the dealer who checked it over and couldn't find anything wrong. I took it back to the dealer a few times for this, no faults found. Screen still goes blank occasionally but comes back on . I suppose we'll just have to live with it unfortunately.
Mine behaves in the same way.
The software update ( 0020 ) is meant to address the crashing / freezing issues.
There is no consistency into how and when it is likely to die.
The most inconvenient is when using the Sat Nav, the screen just turns black.
The spoken directions are still working, but no visual map screen of course.
A complete shut down of the car, then a full reboot will usually see the Sat Nav recover in full.
But this can be a bit inconvenient if you are travelling on the motorway !.

Mine has never gone off after it's booted up but it does very occasionally take up to 30 seconds to boot up initially. FWIW the update has not made any difference to this slow booting up.

I had the infotainment system update a couple of days ago (I've only had the black screen once or twice IIRC so I don't count it as an issue). I can confirm the system is a bit quicker in some areas, most notably switching sources. This used to take ages now, but is instant for radio stations, but there's still a delay when going to USB. Haven't tried the rest of it yet!

I had the infotainment system update a couple of days ago (I've only had the black screen once or twice IIRC so I don't count it as an issue). I can confirm the system is a bit quicker in some areas, most notably switching sources. This used to take ages now, but is instant for radio stations, but there's still a delay when going to USB. Haven't tried the rest of it yet!
Can you now take a phone call and switch screens? On mine once on a call only the call screen is displayed and you can’t get out of it. So for example if satnav is on there’s no way of following it if on a call - you’re stuck on the call screen. Using Apple CarPlay is a different matter - that’s ok. This may be an issue with my ZS.

Has anybody had this problem? It has happened a few times with me. I turn the car on and everything boots up as normal but the main infotainment screen fails to light up. It has also suddenly switched off whilst driving a couple of times. This worries me, if I was using the sat nav then that could cause problems. On one occasion I drove to my dealer when it failed to light up and showed them. They took it into the workshop and, as you would guess, it turned on just as it went in. They checked all the connections but could do little else. It has happened a couple of times since then. The heater and AC still work but you cant see the settings on screen. The radio will not work. Anybody else had this??
Hi mate did you ever get problems sorted out as I have the same problem on mine and any advice would be great thanks tom

I noticed the infotainment screen dimmed about 4 or 5 times for around five seconds each time on the journey home yesterday, I've never noticed this before!!! Anyone else had this problem?

Has anybody had this problem? It has happened a few times with me. I turn the car on and everything boots up as normal but the main infotainment screen fails to light up. It has also suddenly switched off whilst driving a couple of times. This worries me, if I was using the sat nav then that could cause problems. On one occasion I drove to my dealer when it failed to light up and showed them. They took it into the workshop and, as you would guess, it turned on just as it went in. They checked all the connections but could do little else. It has happened a couple of times since then. The heater and AC still work but you cant see the settings on screen. The radio will not work. Anybody else had this??
This has just started happening to MG 5 in the last few days, it seems to be related to the bluetooth pairing with my Iphone.
If I leave the phone switched off, no problem. If I start the car with phone switched on it happens regularly, then if I turn phone off it still happens. If I pair an old phone it is ok. Questions: - Is it the New Iphone, probably not as it only started recently, is it an update on IOS? or is there a fault on the infotainment system?
It is going in tomorrow to the dealership maybe they can find out!

Not sure if it's any use, I had a similar thing. I held the physical HOME button and after about 20 seconds it comes back into life

Just remember to NOT do the HOME button reset of the infotainment, while driving the car.

The car will totally panic and all assistance systems will be off while the infotainment reboots :)

This is experience talking :)

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom