MZ ZS EV Infotainment screen goes off

The garage had the car for 2 days when I got the call late Friday, all done you can pick up, So Saturday morning drove to the garage and was told the cars done . The technician said "they spent 6 hours on the car tiring to fine the faults" (which were random), he said there were faults showing up on the logs, so they just reset the computers, because they couldn't replicate the faults and said its properly the devices I'm plugin to the car, mobile phones, and Ipod, I now carry around my old TomTom because can't rely on the infotainment screen working, also no updates done on car.

Camera and radar were checked for alignment and ok

The sunroof make a banging/tapping noise when open, this I filmed by sticking a go pro to the sunroof to record, but this evidence is no good because the technician cant replicate the sound by driving the car for 5 minutes, I did say get in the car me in the front and him in the back and you I will hear the sound, but he refused because of social distancing. They said after specking to MG that I will have to wait until its happening more often, So if the sunroof cracks because of the movement and banging will MG cover under the warranty as glass is not, he Said MG will have a record of the banging so should replace, But how can they have a record if they don't believe me or the video footage.

The MG warranty is a shame as it they cant replicate the fault or faults, they will not act.
I was not happy with technician although he said his hand are tried by MG, so called MG warranty.
Will See if resetting the computers make any difference to the infotainment system.
Has anyone else had a banging/tapping sound when the sunroof is open, going normal around a right bend and a bit of a bumpy road? does not happen all the time but once it start it usually there till you close the roof.
Sunroof Video sound link
SunRoof_Taping_sound_when_open.mp4
Is it sorted now?

The latest update is as follows, Booked the car in with FG Barns in Maidstone again 6 week wait, two day before the booked date I was coming from Ashford passed Maidstone when the sunroof was making the tapping noise when open (seem related to outside temperature, the hotter it is less likely to tap), so I poped into FG Barns and asked if someone could listen, A manager came for the ride and agreed that the sunroof was tapping and would be covered under warranty (great). Dropped car off and 11days later picked car up all sorted, thats what I thought but driving home with the sunroof open again tapping sound, drove straight back to FG Barns again another test drive with the mechanic who did the work and again agreed thats it's still tapping and to rebook the car back in. Again 6 weeks later before the earliest slot, dropped car off, after 9 days I phoned FG Barns only to be told the sunroof is still tapping even after they had thought it was rectified, it's now gone to MG technical for advice.
So far the car has been in the garage for this problem for 25 days and counting, the loaner car is petrol and boy i forgot how much petrol cost compared with electric.

As for the software issues, this seems to have been sorted with the comfort update and another update which they could not tell me what it was , I also rooted my phone and put the lastest version of android, all seem ok.

The latest update is as follows, Booked the car in with FG Barns in Maidstone again 6 week wait, two day before the booked date I was coming from Ashford passed Maidstone when the sunroof was making the tapping noise when open (seem related to outside temperature, the hotter it is less likely to tap), so I poped into FG Barns and asked if someone could listen, A manager came for the ride and agreed that the sunroof was tapping and would be covered under warranty (great). Dropped car off and 11days later picked car up all sorted, thats what I thought but driving home with the sunroof open again tapping sound, drove straight back to FG Barns again another test drive with the mechanic who did the work and again agreed thats it's still tapping and to rebook the car back in. Again 6 weeks later before the earliest slot, dropped car off, after 9 days I phoned FG Barns only to be told the sunroof is still tapping even after they had thought it was rectified, it's now gone to MG technical for advice.
So far the car has been in the garage for this problem for 25 days and counting, the loaner car is petrol and boy i forgot how much petrol cost compared with electric.

As for the software issues, this seems to have been sorted with the comfort update and another update which they could not tell me what it was , I also rooted my phone and put the lastest version of android, all seem ok.
I’d ask them to provide an electric car..l

Has anybody had this problem? It has happened a few times with me. I turn the car on and everything boots up as normal but the main infotainment screen fails to light up. It has also suddenly switched off whilst driving a couple of times. This worries me, if I was using the sat nav then that could cause problems. On one occasion I drove to my dealer when it failed to light up and showed them. They took it into the workshop and, as you would guess, it turned on just as it went in. They checked all the connections but could do little else. It has happened a couple of times since then. The heater and AC still work but you cant see the settings on screen. The radio will not work. Anybody else had this??
Yes 8 weeks ago my main screen went to black. the screen only works for the reverse info. the workshop said it is a common problem. i'm stil waiting for a new multimedia system. when i ask the workshop why it takes so long i get no satisfied answer. i have the idea that there is more going on and that they haven't the solution yet.

I did have this problem every now and again, but it hadn’t happened for a long time now...I just rebooted it when it occurred and it seemed to be fine.

We had a similar problem with our main TV...we tried everything for about a week. Follow advice we unplugged it for 1/2 hour and its been fine since.

We had a similar problem with our main TV...we tried everything for about a week. Follow advice we unplugged it for 1/2 hour and its been fine since.
Sometimes things just need to be reset....to reset your MG screen just press and hold the middle home button until the screen goes completely off.

Sometimes things just need to be reset....to reset your MG screen just press and hold the middle home button until the screen goes completely off.
I've been having the same problem. Occasionally the screen goes off and a when it reboots a kind of screensaver comes on to the bottom 30% of the screen. The garage checked it out and say it seems ok. The good thing is the mechanic told me the fault appears in the fault code list. So MG must know there is an issue. Hopefully they get a fix for it soon.

Yes 8 weeks ago my main screen went to black. the screen only works for the reverse info. the workshop said it is a common problem. i'm stil waiting for a new multimedia system. when i ask the workshop why it takes so long i get no satisfied answer. i have the idea that there is more going on and that they haven't the solution yet.
finally i've got an appointment in the workshop. They placed a whole new infotainment system and everything works fine now.

the infototainment system appears to generally slow when connecting to apple car play , took ages to play songs on spotify.
I find that it quite often does not open on Apple CarPlay unless you open the phone itself even tho it is set to work if phone is closed, eh, no it doesn’t.

I find that it quite often does not open on Apple CarPlay unless you open the phone itself even tho it is set to work if phone is closed, eh, no it doesn’t.
It may be that you need to check the CarPlay settings. There is an option to allow CarPlay when the phone is locked

I can't work out if Carplay is the problem or the car - mine disconnects so frequently it's not worth using, so I revert to Bluetooth. I've tried all settings and cables, makes no difference so I've just accepted that BT is they way for me.... That said, I had similar problems in a Mondeo with a different phone so perhaps Carplay isn't as robust as we're led to belive it is.

I can't work out if Carplay is the problem or the car - mine disconnects so frequently it's not worth using, so I revert to Bluetooth. I've tried all settings and cables, makes no difference so I've just accepted that BT is they way for me.... That said, I had similar problems in a Mondeo with a different phone so perhaps Carplay isn't as robust as we're led to belive it is.
I’d have the garage check the connections to the USB ports.. while I know that garages often blame our cables, it’s important they check the link between the USB port and the stereo

Mine has started doing the same on android auto , its a pain 😫 but going to try a different cable first

I’d have the garage check the connections to the USB ports.. while I know that garages often blame our cables, it’s important they check the link between the USB port and the stereo
Media plays fine from both ports!

Can I ask about the blank screen issues and the rectification you mention.
I am actually enquiring regarding an HS PHEV, but it uses the same Infotainment system as the ZS. Since Friday when the car was delivered, the Infotainment screen randomly goes blank for varying amounts of time, then appears to reboot with the MG logo.
It would seem similar to your problem. Given that it's a brand new car I am guessing it already has the 'comfort' update and doesn't appear to suffer the bing/bong issue. You mentioned the dealer carried out a further software update at the same time, can I ask had that completely rectified your blank screen problem?
With thanks
Keith

Has anybody had this problem? It has happened a few times with me. I turn the car on and everything boots up as normal but the main infotainment screen fails to light up. It has also suddenly switched off whilst driving a couple of times. This worries me, if I was using the sat nav then that could cause problems. On one occasion I drove to my dealer when it failed to light up and showed them. They took it into the workshop and, as you would guess, it turned on just as it went in. They checked all the connections but could do little else. It has happened a couple of times since then. The heater and AC still work but you cant see the settings on screen. The radio will not work. Anybody else had this??
I had this problem a few weeks back - probably happened about 6 times on different journeys - then I had the 12v battery problem in that while it showed heathy battery in fact the battery was faulty and the car would not start and the battery was replaced by the dealer - 10 months old from new - I asked if the 12v battery would be guaranteed for a year but was told MG only guaranteed this battery for 12 months from the car being new which I consider is a poor deal on a new battery !!!

I The infotainment screen on my new ZS has frozen up in the phone screen position. I have noticed other issues in the past few weeks, primarily being unable to return to the main screen while in the phone screen mode. Any comments?

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom