Nasty Number Plate

Look, my dealership even went out of their way and had the apprentice paint the screw cover!

tcAlQEx.png
Gosh Eber! like your German city emblem looks cool.

There is a dealer who will go the extra mile alright !.
Or Km

A poor install, pure and simple !.
Why run the two sided tape horizontally for a start, and only in two staggered positions, what’s that all about ?.
School boy error.
Four strips of good quality two sided number plate tape evenly spaced vertically and then applied to a pre degreased number plate backing and the predegreased body surface contact points.
It’s not rocket 🚀 science really ?.
If this simple method is followed, they will stick without any issues.
Have you ever tried removing a set of plates, that have been stuck in place for a couple of years ?.
OMG - You will be lucky NOT to break the plates, they are stuck that securely.
Usually requiring the help of a hair dryer or a heat gun set on low, to help soften the glue on this tape.
When it sticks, wow does it stick.
Like with all adhesive's the secret is in the prep !.
If you want something doing correctly, then do it yourself my Dad use to say 🤣.
Could have been a lot worse…. The car could have fallen off the number plate 🤣

Look, my dealership even went out of their way and had the apprentice paint the screw cover!

tcAlQEx.png

Quite right too.
It’s what I’d do (and have done in the past)

Could have been a lot worse…. The car could have fallen off the number plate 🤣

The plate has jumped out of shame

My back plate was really loose and rattley, and it pulled off really easily without much force.

I refitted it myself with new sticky pads after cleaning off the old residue with 99% alcohol.

I'm glad they didn't screw the plate in!

Both my MG4 front and back plates were screwed on by the dealer, no tape. Impressed with the dealer at Rayne

A poor install, pure and simple !.
Why run the two sided tape horizontally for a start, and only in two staggered positions, what’s that all about ?.
School boy error.
Four strips of good quality two sided number plate tape evenly spaced vertically and then applied to a pre degreased number plate backing and the predegreased body surface contact points.
It’s not rocket 🚀 science really ?.
If this simple method is followed, they will stick without any issues.
Have you ever tried removing a set of plates, that have been stuck in place for a couple of years ?.
OMG - You will be lucky NOT to break the plates, they are stuck that securely.
Usually requiring the help of a hair dryer or a heat gun set on low, to help soften the glue on this tape.
When it sticks, wow does it stick.
Like with all adhesive's the secret is in the prep !.
If you want something doing correctly, then do it yourself my Dad use to say 🤣.
In the height of summer last year, plates were falling off all over the place! tape not that good in a heatwave.

These days UK plates must have the supplier's name on them, or you could be fined. I'm not sure if you can have your own message as well. Displaying number plates

Yes, this is the theory.
In reality I’ve had plates with no markings on for decades now, on multiple cars, without a single issue and they’ve sailed through MOTs too.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 511 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back