New cars stressful ??

pecker

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Anyone else find owning a new car stressful ? So far I’ve had a few things that make me wonder if it’s worth the hassle ?

• Stone chip on the front bumper after 2 weeks
  • Stone hit the bonnet 1st causing a small dent then chipped the window screen
  • Parking dent from the golf club and I even have door dent protectors and park as far away from others as possible.

All first world problems I know, dents are being fixed next week but I just feel unlucky, I’ve only had the car for 6 wks.

Has anyone else’s new car been in the wars ?

I hear you.
Stone chips are really difficult to avoid but keeping well back from vehicles in front, especially on a fast road means I've only got one in the last six months.

Inconsiderate door opening is my biggest fear (In automotive parking scenarios. Obvs.)
Hence I too will park as far away from anyone else as humanely possible.

I just want to keep it as nice as possible for as long as possible.

This I can relate to 100%.

& owning a brand new car is the worst, shows every little mark, tiniest scratch, really isn’t good for the blood pressure.

I’m one of these people that will go into a stores car park & park 200 yards away from the entrance if it means my car is not parked near other cars. I know accidents happen but some people, those that don’t take pride in the cars don’t seem to care if they open their door & clang your car in the process.

All you can do buddy is take care of it as well as you can but I totally get that feeling when you spot a new stone chip but the way I try & look at it, not something that can’t be fixed.

I’m one of these people that will go into a stores car park & park 200 yards away from the entrance if it means my car is not parked near other cars.
The problem with parking way out in the "the boonies" is that you're more likely to suffer vandalism there. :mad:

The problem with parking way out in the "the boonies" is that you're more likely to suffer vandalism there. :mad:
Yep!

I was born & raised in London, moved away in 1998 but this was always an issue there.

Worst one I had, I was staying with my cousin in Highbury ( had a Vauxhall Cavalier ) got up Monday morning for work & found a scratch on the front left wing, across the front door, they left the back door but then scratched it on the back, even around lock on the tailgate

Sounds stupid but I’d of been less “cheesed off” if they had broke into the car & tried to steal the stereo but what do they get out of damaging someone’s car like this? 😡

I have heard of it happening here on the Isle of Wight but thankfully it’s rare.

I'd like to think that car park dings/dents are not done maliciously. And it's just people being bl00dy careless. But doesn't alter the fact it's still a ding/dent/scratch.
That's why I Park almost a taxi ride from the Supermarket when I'm shopping, and go early morning when it's not busy, so far it's worked for me. If I go to a Car park and the only space for example, is between two heaps, I'll drive off and won't park, simple's, might seem a bit extreme, but that's just me. 🙄🙂

Crack across the windscreen from a stone chip just after Xmas. Its taken about 10 weeks for the new windscreen to turn up from China … They booked me in (wait another 2 weeks to book a time), I dropped off the car, got a call an hour later - they can’t do it, come pick up the car. They can’t calibrate the camera, software isn’t compatible with my car. Turns out local MG dealership has changed, and the new one can’t fix MG4’s yet. I still have a broken windscreen … waiting …

In January I noticed that Caliban had a scuffed off-side front wheel arch. I suppose I could have done it myself, although I have no recollection of anything that might have caused it. The repair shop offered me a touch-up job for about £50 or do it right for £200. By the time VAT was added to that it was almost £250 but I paid it. Caliban doesn't have another scratch on him, and it was the way he looked at me...

It feels like some sort of new car Karma for me.

The last 5 new cars I’ve owned have been hit my massive stones in the first couple of weeks and this car is no exception. It got smacked hard on the bonnet on the second day, then on the A pillar a few days later (both down to primer) and about a week later a nice wallop in the middle of the windscreen.

I’ve just come to expect it now. The first one where this trend started needed a new windscreen in the second week. The car after needed one within a month and the one after that had so many stone chips on the bonnet it looked like someone had been flicking cigarette ash on it! The last car had one that left about a 4cm scratch on the bonnet and a chip in the windscreen on week one.

It pisses me off but I’m resigned to the fact it’s going to happen due to Karma or the terrible state of the roads I commute on 🙄

It pisses me off but I’m resigned to the fact it’s going to happen due to Karma or the terrible state of the roads I commute on 🙄

I think that we're all in the same situation in the UK, don't think I've seen the roads in a worse state in the decades I've lived up here.
The irony is that it's the same fekking potholes year after year after year because the local council won't ( or can't ) spend the money to repair them properly.

Cut round the perimeter till you reach solid asphalt, lay the fresh stuff and compact it properly, finally, seal the join with liquid tar to prevent water ingress and early failure - is what they NEVER do. :mad:

That would involve setting up traffic lights and all sorts of expense so what we get instead is a couple of geezers with a couple of shovels chucking some asphalt from the back of a pickup and calling it done, utter waste of time.

Crack across the windscreen from a stone chip just after Xmas. Its taken about 10 weeks for the new windscreen to turn up from China … They booked me in (wait another 2 weeks to book a time), I dropped off the car, got a call an hour later - they can’t do it, come pick up the car. They can’t calibrate the camera, software isn’t compatible with my car. Turns out local MG dealership has changed, and the new one can’t fix MG4’s yet. I still have a broken windscreen … waiting …

Does that mean that window screen company’s can’t replace the screen due to camera calibrations ?

Does it have to be done by MG ?

Does that mean that window screen company’s can’t replace the screen due to camera calibrations ?

They need an MG technician from the dealership to come by with their laptop. They need special equipment/software, which I'm told they are waiting on

I posted sometime ago that one of the windscreen repair companies now has the equipment to calibrate the camera but I can't remember who.
Ah! Found it 😁

I posted sometime ago that one of the windscreen repair companies now has the equipment to calibrate the camera but I can't remember who.
Ah! Found it 😁

Thanks, mines a very small chip and being repaired hopefully next wk to try and prevent the need for a new screen

I think that we're all in the same situation in the UK, don't think I've seen the roads in a worse state in the decades I've lived up here.
The irony is that it's the same fekking potholes year after year after year because the local council won't ( or can't ) spend the money to repair them properly.

Cut round the perimeter till you reach solid asphalt, lay the fresh stuff and compact it properly, finally, seal the join with liquid tar to prevent water ingress and early failure - is what they NEVER do. :mad:

That would involve setting up traffic lights and all sorts of expense so what we get instead is a couple of geezers with a couple of shovels chucking some asphalt from the back of a pickup and calling it done, utter waste of time.
You should see some of the roads here on the Isle of Wight, especially some of the quiet residential areas, shocking.

I’ve lost count the amount of times the council/highways repair them, then 3-6 months later the holes are back.

When travelling I often take a longer route if it means I can avoid certain roads. I just feel sorry for the people who live smack bang in the middle of them & have no choice, I dread to think what it does to their tyres/suspension etc

Car parks are a PITA. In the MG4 you really need to open the door widely. Getting your foot over the sill and out is different than in other cars because it's wider and if the door opening is too narrow it's very easy to scuff the bottom of the door pocket with the sole of your shoe.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 502 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back