New (late 2021) ZS EV

Did you extend the telescopic steering wheel adjustment out on the 5 ?
Yeah. The issue was still there. I'm coming from a Golf Plus so I'm used to a higher seating position. I just felt my hips would start aching after a while as my knees were too high.

Looked at the video again this morning on my larger pc monitor and don't know how I've previously missed the screen caption "17 alloy rim with hubcap" and you can see, particularly in the shot of the rear wheel what looks like an alloy wheel underneath.

Does beg the question about what the wheels look like without the hubcaps
Like Darth Vader without his helmet?

I wonder what the alloys look like without the covers on ?
@Kithmo - That is a good question 🙋🏻‍♂️.
It is very difficult to tell what is going on here ?.
I think we can completely rule out steel wheels, because you can see the brake callipers through the road wheels ?.
Is it like some Tesla models, where the car has alloys wheels fitted, but then they slap on a wheel covers over the top ?.
I have tried hard to study the images of the wheels on the face lift model, but I am unable to see any visible provision for road wheel bolts ?.
Some manufactures who use a nice alloy wheel, then use a fancy cover that will over lay over the centre of the rim to hide the road wheel bolts.
But again, I can not see any evidence of this type of arrangement on the face lift ?.
The diamond cut alloys on the original ZS EV are a nice but are an expensive feature.
Maybe MG have gone for a more cost effective option of using a basic alloy wheel, then added a shiny cover mounted over the top, to give a similar effect ?.
Little bit of cost cutting to hopefully hit the right price point.
The biggest increase in price will be as a direct result of including that larger 72 kWh pack on the Trophy 🏆 model.
It does satisfy the criticism of certain people who said the range was a little too small on the original car.
And it would also appeal to first Gen owners who would like to upgrade to the bigger pack.
Offering it in two sizes, is a good move and covers both camps I guess.
When the car was first released, it’s closest competition was the e.Nero and the Kona, but the price of both of these models where a lot more expensive.
The biggest pull, was the 64 kWh packs.
So MG have responded with the 72 kWh pack on the face lift now.
If the 72 kWh model proves to expensive for some people, then they have the facility to increase production on the smaller pack model, without too much bother I guess ?.

@Kithmo - That is a good question 🙋🏻‍♂️.
It is very difficult to tell what is going on here ?.
I think we can completely rule out steel wheels, because you can see the brake callipers through the road wheels ?.
Is it like some Tesla models, where the car has alloys wheels fitted, but then they slap on a wheel covers over the top ?.
I have tried hard to study the images of the wheels on the face lift model, but I am unable to see any visible provision for road wheel bolts ?.
Some manufactures who use a nice alloy wheel, then use a fancy cover that will over lay over the centre of the rim to hide the road wheel bolts.
But again, I can not see any evidence of this type of arrangement on the face lift ?.
The diamond cut alloys on the original ZS EV are a nice but are an expensive feature.
Maybe MG have gone for a more cost effective option of using a basic alloy wheel, then added a shiny cover mounted over the top, to give a similar effect ?.
Little bit of cost cutting to hopefully hit the right price point.
The biggest increase in price will be as a direct result of including that larger 72 kWh pack on the Trophy 🏆 model.
It does satisfy the criticism of certain people who said the range was a little too small on the original car.
And it would also appeal to first Gen owners who would like to upgrade to the bigger pack.
Offering it in two sizes, is a good move and covers both camps I guess.
When the car was first released, it’s closest competition was the e.Nero and the Kona, but the price of both of these models where a lot more expensive.
The biggest pull, was the 64 kWh packs.
So MG have responded with the 72 kWh pack on the face lift now.
If the 72 kWh model proves to expensive for some people, then they have the facility to increase production on the smaller pack model, without too much bother I guess ?.
Maybe I’m being daft here, but if going to use wheel covers (for aero performance I presume) why not use cheaper steel rims instead of alloys?
Does wheel weight affect efficiency?

Maybe I’m being daft here, but if going to use wheel covers (for aero performance I presume) why not use cheaper steel rims instead of alloys?
All weight affects efficiency.

Be useful to have cheaper replacements though when the wheel gets spanked into a curb.

Be useful to have cheaper replacements though when the wheel gets spanked into a curb.
Toyota did this with the 2006 Prius, the wheel trims (over alloy wheels) were well over £30 EACH to replace. They had an even more complex design with the 2016 Prius, each wheel had 5 aerodynamic plastic inserts in a very lightweight wheel, the inserts were £15 each, so £75 per wheel to replace.
I hope the MG ones aren't as expensive, not only for the fact they might get damaged, but because they might get stolen if they are.

Has anyone heard what the launch date will be yet ? The dealer has my details however I am keen for them to order as soon as they can, so hopefully be one of first with the new model especially as my current car is a Ford Kuga Titanium X 2l Diesel AWD 😳 and it is not economical atm 😔 although it is only 3 years old the price of fuel just now is terrible. Not ideal when you live rural and really need your car. Thanks Guys

All weight affects efficiency.
Sorry I specifically meant in relation to the rotational mass off the wheel, I wonder if the effect of extra weight is exaggerated if it’s being rotated compared to just standing weight.

Yes wheels specifically are worse, 1kg in the wheels has far more effect than 1kg sat on a seat. It’s exactly the same but far worse for pedal / road bikes (racers) hence why people spend a fortune on posh shimano wheels to save a few 100 grams.

Yes wheels specifically are worse, 1kg in the wheels has far more effect than 1kg sat on a seat. It’s exactly the same but far worse for pedal / road bikes (racers) hence why people spend a fortune on posh shimano wheels to save a few 100 grams.
Thanks.
It’d be interesting to weigh the current ZS wheels and the new ones....

Toyota did this with the 2006 Prius, the wheel trims (over alloy wheels) were well over £30 EACH to replace. They had an even more complex design with the 2016 Prius, each wheel had 5 aerodynamic plastic inserts in a very lightweight wheel, the inserts were £15 each, so £75 per wheel to replace.
I hope the MG ones aren't as expensive, not only for the fact they might get damaged, but because they might get stolen if they are.
But a new wheel is c.£150 plus refitting a tyre etc?

Did you extend the telescopic steering wheel adjustment out on the 5 ?
I am going for the ZS EV new model , I hope my partner is comfortable in it , I didn’t really think about it , he is 6’1 I’m 5’5 so 🤞🏼 It will be alright , I currently drive a Ford Kuga AWD & he always puts the seat right back

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom