New mg zs ev owner charging question

Pokerpiazza

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

New owner here looking for some advice on the charging of the car.
Loving it so far and have an older rolec charger with a tethered type 1 lead that I am using a type 1 to type 2 adapter to enable charging the car.

It seems to charge fine as expected but I have a question on it shutting off.

It seems that it doesn't want to turn off. When I initially plug it in it waits and the car initiates the start. I hear the clunk and the charge starts. I can look at the info and it tells me on the car the status of the charge. It gets, to 100 percent but the charger does not stop. I have tried this on the Granny charger too and it seems the same and just says it is charging even thought the car says 100 percent. Is this normal or should it stop the charge? My old car (outlander phev) used to stop the charger automatically.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Paul

Hi,
i think that this is the batteries equalising. it’s quite normal and if yiu search on here there’s quite a bit about it. Basically the battery management system will look to equalise the charge across all the battery cells before finishing the charge. It can take a few hours in some instances. 🙂

Hi all,

New owner here looking for some advice on the charging of the car.
Loving it so far and have an older rolec charger with a tethered type 1 lead that I am using a type 1 to type 2 adapter to enable charging the car.

It seems to charge fine as expected but I have a question on it shutting off.

It seems that it doesn't want to turn off. When I initially plug it in it waits and the car initiates the start. I hear the clunk and the charge starts. I can look at the info and it tells me on the car the status of the charge. It gets, to 100 percent but the charger does not stop. I have tried this on the Granny charger too and it seems the same and just says it is charging even thought the car says 100 percent. Is this normal or should it stop the charge? My old car (outlander phev) used to stop the charger automatically.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Paul
This is normal and it’s for HV battery equalization, mine shows 100% charge with granny charger and it takes about 2 hours to stop charging and then MG badge turns off.

Last edited:
If i recall HV battery equalization only happens after a set number of charges, 40 charges rings a bell could be wrong on the amount, but happens more when using rapid charges, if you don't allow it to equalize a message will appear saying HV battery equalization needs to be done.

Hi,
i think that this is the batteries equalising. it’s quite normal and if yiu search on here there’s quite a bit about it. Basically the battery management system will look to equalise the charge across all the battery cells before finishing the charge. It can take a few hours in some instances. 🙂
This is correct, the cells are levelled out to get the best out of the car, the front MG light will stay solid during these sessions it won’t pulse..

If i recall HV battery equalization only happens after a set number of charges, 40 charges rings a bell could be wrong on the amount, but happens more when using rapid charges, if you don't allow it to equalize a message will appear saying HV battery equalization needs to be done.
It does it when it’s needed and subject to frequency of use and charging.

Hi,
Thanks for the info.

I can't really seem to find anything specific for the granny charger but when I plugged it in today when it was pretty much fully charged to try to diagnose if it was the car or the charger.
Initially the yellow power light came on, then once the car called for charge the green charge light came on solid. I left this for 3 hours despite the car saying it was 100 percent charged and was checking on it every half an hour and then it started flashing on the power and charging light. Is this normal? I don't want to seem twitchy but just want to make sure I don't damage the battery.

If it is normal I can rule out the car as an issue but then hopefully the next time I charge the car on my 32 amp rolec charger it will actually turn off once full.

Thanks again for the advice, it is very appreciated.

Paul

Thanks for the info.

I can't really seem to find anything specific for the granny charger but when I plugged it in today when it was pretty much fully charged to try to diagnose if it was the car or the charger.
Initially the yellow power light came on, then once the car called for charge the green charge light came on solid. I left this for 3 hours despite the car saying it was 100 percent charged and was checking on it every half an hour and then it started flashing on the power and charging light. Is this normal? I don't want to seem twitchy but just want to make sure I don't damage the battery.

If it is normal I can rule out the car as an issue but then hopefully the next time I charge the car on my 32 amp rolec charger it will actually turn off once full.

Thanks again for the advice, it is very appreciated.

Paul
This all sounds normal. Please don’t worry about damaging the battery. The system is built with protection safeguards so you don’t have to worry. Just charge it when you need to and enjoy your car 🙂

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom