New MG ZS EV Trophy...it's bad

Yes this true.

But this ain't my first rodeo. I have had EVs previously and never had this issue with the charging.

I have now tried 4 different brands of chargers with multiple different types of approaches:

Car locked
Car unlocked
Schedule charging off
Car switched on
Car switched off
Holding the HPC charger handle
Not holding the HPC charger handle

I can make it past paying, plugging in, safety checks complete, comms established, charging starts on both the charger and the car and within 2-3 seconds the car bails out and says 'Charging stopped'. No errors. No warnings.

Public AC charging is fine. Home AC charging is fine.
You’ve lost me here (maybe it’s just me) but if it charges at home fine and it charges at public chargers…where doesn’t it charge?

I had a problem trying to charge at a free charger, it would start to charge then a few minutes later it stopped, turned out I had to go into the app and put the charger I.d number in to tell it, it was charging my car, once that was done, no problem and it charged the car..

Last edited:
I can make it past paying, plugging in, safety checks complete, comms established, charging starts on both the charger and the car and within 2-3 seconds the car bails out and says 'Charging stopped'. No errors. No warnings.
How much charge is in your car when you try?

How much charge is in your car when you try?
Tried with 20%, 60ish and 85.

All the same.

This is the SR version, so shouldn’t be issue rapid charging to 80 and beyond.

You’ve lost me here (maybe it’s just me) but if it charges at home fine and it charges at public chargers…where doesn’t it charge?

I had a problem trying to charge at a free charger, it would start to charge then a few minutes later it stopped, turned out I had to go into the app and put the charger I.d number in to tell it, it was charging my car, once that was done, no problem and it charged the car..
Any DC rapid charging fails

Instavolt
Chargemycar
Polar
Genie

All fail.

Most of these don’t need an app. Instavolt is debit card - present your card and charge.

Home charging or public slow AC all good.

I'm pretty sure it'll disengage if you're in reverse without your seat belt on.

To be honest it's just easier if you're shunting it about to keep your foot on the brake, stick it in d and manually release the handbrake with the switch.
In my mk1, I do a reverse 1 point turn then drive forwards for 1/2 mile without a belt on regularly - just bongs about seat belt 🤷🏻‍♂️

The inability to move the car without the seat belt on is usually because you have Auto hold on, at least it was with the Gen 1.
Not IME in a MK1. Autohold is not available unless you have a belt on. Once you plug the belt in the autohold switch led lights up & normal autohold is resumed. For parking shunting it's easy to just unplug the belt & let it creep fwd or backwards without the autohold interfering 👍🏻

Yep just need auto hold off
On mk1 it doesn't mind if it's on or off. Without belt plugged in its not available (i.e. if normally on its cancelled until you plug belt in - useful for using creep when parking/manouevring)

On mk1 it doesn't mind if it's on or off. Without belt plugged in its not available (i.e. if normally on its cancelled until you plug belt in - useful for using creep when parking/manouevring)
Don't know never tried it when on as don't use auto hold I was just saying I have no problems moving with out seatbelt on

This got me to look in the manual p205 says

If the driver's seat belt is fastened, the power system is
READY, D or R gear is selected and the accelerator pedal
is pressed in order to pull away, the EPB will automatically
release.

So you just have to release parking brake manually with foot on brake to move without seat belt as it will only release automatically if seat belt is plugged in

This got me to look in the manual p205 says

If the driver's seat belt is fastened, the power system is
READY, D or R gear is selected and the accelerator pedal
is pressed in order to pull away, the EPB will automatically
release.

So you just have to release parking brake manually with foot on brake to move without seat belt as it will only release automatically if seat belt is plugged in
On my mk1 putting it in D or R from P releases the brake, you can hear the pads being wound in... whether youve got seatbelt on or not..

I have another thing I dislike…having to put the seat belt on to move the car…I park the car with its nose out, but the charger isn’t long enough to reach the front of the car, so need to turn it around, no problem one would think…no it won’t move unless I put the seat belt on…”look I’m only going two feet, turning around and parking the car the otherway round, I don’t need a bloody seat belt on”…car..oh yes you do, I’m not going to move otherwise..
We had that once - tuens out I had the door open looking out of it to reverse (I hate the 360 camera). It just puts the brake on immediatly if you try that. It will drive perfectly well (all be it with an annoying bong every few seconds) with no seatbelt on.

Give it a good talking to.;)
bbc comedy GIF
😂

Just to return the conversation back to where it started, may I please suggest one more niggle to the list (perhaps, someone knows the solution):

- It annoys me that the intelligent/manual speed assist needs to be enabled every time from MG pilot menu on infotainment screen. Making these functions available and then burying them deep into touch screen menu is not great;

To contribute to other points:
  • Music/audio source changing – in phone’s Bluetooth settings there is a difference between ‘Phone audio’ and ‘media audio’. Disabling ‘media audio’ sorted the problem for me, but it may not be a workable solution for people who listen to music from their phone via Bluetooth. In general, I just click SOURCE button on the steering wheel to flip it back to radio.
  • It fogs up a lot, yes, but reading these forums I’ve learned that the heating does not work properly in ECO mode. Also, after a while, I got tired of changing drive mode and KERS level every time to ECO and 2 respectively. So now, I just drive in NORMAL and with the heating mildly on which eases the fog. Directing side air vents to side windows also helped, although those reflections in both mirrors, as mentioned elsewhere, annoy me too;
  • Screen brightness/leakage of light is an issue. Though controlling brightness can be done by pulling the top of the screen down and there is a slider;
Overall though, I think it (ZS EV Trophy LR) is a good car for the price, but some of the hype (on how amazing it is) is unjustified. There are areas where corners were cut, and more importantly, there are usability issues that the more established brands would have eradicated by MK2.

Just to return the conversation back to where it started, may I please suggest one more niggle to the list (perhaps, someone knows the solution):

- It annoys me that the intelligent/manual speed assist needs to be enabled every time from MG pilot menu on infotainment screen. Making these functions available and then burying them deep into touch screen menu is not great;

To contribute to other points:
  • Music/audio source changing – in phone’s Bluetooth settings there is a difference between ‘Phone audio’ and ‘media audio’. Disabling ‘media audio’ sorted the problem for me, but it may not be a workable solution for people who listen to music from their phone via Bluetooth. In general, I just click SOURCE button on the steering wheel to flip it back to radio.
  • It fogs up a lot, yes, but reading these forums I’ve learned that the heating does not work properly in ECO mode. Also, after a while, I got tired of changing drive mode and KERS level every time to ECO and 2 respectively. So now, I just drive in NORMAL and with the heating mildly on which eases the fog. Directing side air vents to side windows also helped, although those reflections in both mirrors, as mentioned elsewhere, annoy me too;
  • Screen brightness/leakage of light is an issue. Though controlling brightness can be done by pulling the top of the screen down and there is a slider;
Overall though, I think it (ZS EV Trophy LR) is a good car for the price, but some of the hype (on how amazing it is) is unjustified. There are areas where corners were cut, and more importantly, there are usability issues that the more established brands would have eradicated by MK2.
I got this gem overlayed on the charging screen today, complete with weird spacing and interesting grammar (what "it" is I don't know):

Attachments

• IMG_20221226_115352.jpg
    IMG_20221226_115352.jpg
    317.9 KB · Views: 119
I got this gem overlayed on the charging screen today, complete with weird spacing and interesting grammar (what "it" is I don't know):
You're just looking for faults now😂

- It annoys me that the intelligent/manual speed assist needs to be enabled every time from MG pilot menu on infotainment screen.

Whassat do then?

Last edited by a moderator:
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom