New MG4 has arrived and.....

Deleted member 12564

Reaction score
Having been driving the ZS EV for a few months I was curious as to how I would feel when the MG4 finally arrived.

It came on Friday and was put to use for a 450 mile round trip over the weekend and I have to say on the whole I'm very pleased with it and here are some of my first impressions which a are a mixture of surprise and delights and minor irritations

• Rear windscreen wiper - I had assumed this wasn't fitted but that seems to be a revision for the spec
  • Seat comfort seems a little less comfortable than the version I test drove but was ok for a long journey
  • Adaptive cruise and traffic jam assist are either one or the other which seems a odd - although both work well
  • Front windscreen water jets are not great but will do
  • kwh on long journey was averaging at 3.9 om the A1 at around 60 to 65 which I though was pretty good
  • One pedal driving - was a nice surprise I wasn't aware of on this model
  • unbinding ismart app from ZS to the bind to MG4 was relatively painless although the first time I used it I was told this was not an electric model, but has since refreshed
  • Lack of new car smell ( i was expecting) but the actual smell is a bit like new paint
These are my top of mind issues and I'm sure the car will throw up other positives an negatives as we go.

Having been driving the ZS EV for a few months I was curious as to how I would feel when the MG4 finally arrived.

It came on Friday and was put to use for a 450 mile round trip over the weekend and I have to say on the whole I'm very pleased with it and here are some of my first impressions which a are a mixture of surprise and delights and minor irritations

• Rear windscreen wiper - I had assumed this wasn't fitted but that seems to be a revision for the spec
  • Seat comfort seems a little less comfortable than the version I test drove but was ok for a long journey
  • Adaptive cruise and traffic jam assist are either one or the other which seems a odd - although both work well
  • kwh on long journey was averaging at 3.9 om the A1 at around 60 to 65 which I though was pretty good
  • unbinding ismart app from ZS to the bind to MG4 was relatively painless although the first time I used it I was told this was not an electric model, but has since refreshed
  • Lack of new car smell ( i was expecting) but the actual smell is a bit like new paint
These are my top of mind issues and I'm sure the car will throw up other positives an negatives as we go.
Definitely a MY23/phase 2/mark 2 or whatever they want to refer to it as. You'll also have 18" wheels with Bridgestone tyres if you've got a Trophy. Sounds like more positives than negatives and hopefully this stays that way. You'll see a lot of negative points on forums, but there are also quite a few people saying how much they like their MG4. Enjoy!

Mine is showing as "Released from factory" which would be nice if built in the UK, but now means approx 30-42 days shipping from what I can make out.

Definitely a MY23/phase 2/mark 2 or whatever they want to refer to it as. You'll also have 18" wheels with Bridgestone tyres if you've got a Trophy. Sounds like more positives than negatives and hopefully this stays that way. You'll see a lot of negative points on forums, but there are also quite a few people saying how much they like their MG4. Enjoy!

Mine is showing as "Released from factory" which would be nice if built in the UK, but now means approx 30-42 days shipping from what I can make out.
Thanks, yes it seems like there is a lot of polarizing opinion on the phase 2 model, but most manufacturers always make changes post launch so I assume this is base don both costs and feedback - win some / lose some I'd say

We've had our MY23 Trophy for a few days and are pleased with it.
Managed to bind a smartphone with the car
Only managed to connect Android Auto for a second before the screen reverts to Home.
Software is also R40 so going back to the dealer tomorrow to see about R46.
Lane Keep Assist seems generally well behaved except on one or two occasions.
Rheostatic braking is good, once you get used to it. Haven't tried one-pedal yet
Inability to read files on a USB stick is annoying.
I always turn off automatic lighting before starting as it seems to turn headlights on in shade - there have been previous posts on this topic.
With around 500 pages of manuals, there's a lot to learn.

I think it's regenerative rather than rheostatic as it gets fed back into the battery. OPD and regen braking or KERS as MG have previously called it is one of the best things about EVs in my opinion. You can drive around town etc and hardly touch the brake pedal once you've got used to the relevant vehicle.

Congrats on getting the MY23 :) - mine arrived on the 3rd, and is an MY22... not sure whether I'm relieved or disappointed :D Will be happier when they finally send the next dashboard update out, so I can see if we've finally fixed the "car not activated" glitch (fix on the forum, basically tap infotainment 5 times, key in the "secret code", select activate, change mode, reset, lock car, stand on left leg and spin widdershins until a unicorn appears....

I was so lucky then (or not time will tell) because the car I originally wanted wasn’t ready til March next yr she showed me a 73 plate MG4 in showroom and I fell in love there and then and get it Oct 26th this year I’m so excited I can’t wait😊

No 73 plate car exists yet. ;)
Yeh I mean when it gets it’s plate it’s going on the 73 plate

Yeh I mean when it gets it’s plate it’s going on the 73 plate
IMG_1240.png

Congrats on getting the MY23 :) - mine arrived on the 3rd, and is an MY22... not sure whether I'm relieved or disappointed :D Will be happier when they finally send the next dashboard update out, so I can see if we've finally fixed the "car not activated" glitch (fix on the forum, basically tap infotainment 5 times, key in the "secret code", select activate, change mode, reset, lock car, stand on left leg and spin widdershins until a unicorn appears....
I have the unicorn already built in to my MY22 so I didn’t have that issue. I can’t change the functions of the left star button though, it reverts to default every time I try - do I need another unicorn, a princess or a set of optional magical elves?

I have an MY22 exclusive but I suspect these observations are valid:
  • …….if you select ACC, when you go slow it automatically switches to TJA. Can’t remember the speed, it’s in the manual!
  • ……fine spray on mine, I thought they weren’t going to be good but they’re excellent!

ACC --> TJA ... erm, nope. Mine doesn't do that. (TJA being selected is shown by the driver display top-left showing a steering wheel ... if I have ACC selected then the steering wheel never appears, regardless of my speed).

• …….if you select ACC, when you go slow it automatically switches to TJA. Can’t remember the speed, it’s in the manual!
On this, is the only way to switch between the limiter and ACC via the touchscreen? On every other vehicle I've you could do this on the wheel (as you often start/finish on limiter with ACC in the middle).

The first time I read the manual I though you could, but after a few days with the car I've not found a way (and rereading it seems I may have been over generous in my interpretation).

ACC --> TJA ... erm, nope. Mine doesn't do that. (TJA being selected is shown by the driver display top-left showing a steering wheel ... if I have ACC selected then the steering wheel never appears, regardless of my speed).

Mine is the same as yours. I was using the TJA some of the time in a jam on the M25 this afternoon, but while it was OK at pretty low speeds (except it kept telling me to hold the steering wheel, when I was, but it meant it wanted to feel me turning it, which was daft because I was relying on it to turn it), as soon as we got out of a crawl the twitching steering wheel unnerved me. So I changed back to ACC. Whichever I selected was the mode I got and kept irrespective of the speed.

I bought one of these today, due in a few weeks for the new plates, just wondering is the software version new also? I've seen a few reviews complaining about that so wondered if along with the new wheels, rear headrest and wiper, there was a new software version also.

I bought one of these today, due in a few weeks for the new plates, just wondering is the software version new also? I've seen a few reviews complaining about that so wondered if along with the new wheels, rear headrest and wiper, there was a new software version also.
The infotainment software is updated and is slowly being rolled out to the older MG4s, but as for the other software modules, there is no way to find out.

We have just taken delivery of a Trophy. The software version is R40. The garage won't update it as is is not listed as a 'recall' on their database.

We have just taken delivery of a Trophy. The software version is R40. The garage won't update it as is is not listed as a 'recall' on their database.
Leave it a couple of weeks then complain that your Bluetooth connection keeps dropping out 😁

Just out of interest which dealer did you get it from? I got mine from Sandicliffe in Nottingham.

Got my Trophy on Friday and was on R40, but booked straight in this Wednesday for R46 to be installed. Dealer claimed it was only recently released but the car landed last week in the UK so don’t think PDI includes all updates.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 502 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back