New to Android Auto - any tips?

Rolfe

Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
I finally got my new phone with Android Auto installed, so I plugged it in to see what would happen. Pretty impressed so far, but I have a feeling I'm not aware of all its capabilities and how to get the most out of it.

I thought I'd try the "call so-and-so" feature, and said "call Elsie", hoping to get the person on my contacts list whose first name is Elsie. Instead the car said "Calling Elsie Ingles nursing home" and before I even had time to react I found myself having to stammer apologies about a wrong number to a slightly bemused receptionist. I tried that again today but instead said Elsie's full name. That got a query about the name and a request to tap the right name on my contacts list, after which it worked. (And as it did, I remember that it's Elsie's birthday today, so I even had an excuse to phone her - I'd been meaning to anyway, but it had slipped my mind. She has covid. We have dinner and the theatre on Tuesday, what are the chances?)

I'm a bit nervous about just asking it to call someone though, in case a similar thing happens. Do I have to go through my entire contacts list training the system? Is it common for it to connect directly to a random business just because the first word was right?

Voice commands on the satnav have a similar thing. I was driving around nearby villages trying to get a feel of what it could do. I said "Blyth Bridge" and the car immediately said "adding a stop at Blythe Bridge, England". Which is hundreds of miles away. I tried "Blyth Bridge, Scotland" but got the same thing. I looked up Blyth Bridge in the menu by typing it in, and it was there as "Blyth Bridge, Peeblesshire". So I tried again, this time saying "Blyth Bridge, Peeblesshire". The correct words came up on the screen so I thought "this time!" But no. "Adding a stop at Blythe Bridge, England." (Eventually I confused the thing so badly that the screen froze, but fortunately it had sorted itself out overnight. I think I was adding random stops to an increasingly complicated route that went to the Midlands and back several times, when I thought I was just setting new destinations, and in the end its brain fried.)

Small places seem to suffer from non-recognition. Even though they're in the menu, the voice recognition doesn't get them. "Carlops" got me "car wash" or nothing. My own address (before I'd actually set "home") tried to send me to a ChargePlace Scotland charging station somewhere in West Lothian, for no readily apparent reason. It's not that it doesn't understand, it's that it jumps to some wild conclusion and sends you off there without giving you any chance to affirm or deny.

The system thinks I have a perol car, and offers me routes to save petrol. Despite the fact that it's bound to Caliban, who is an EV. Not sure how to change this. Will it start showing chargers if I do that? Or is there a way to ask it?

Anyway, all you Android Auto experts here, what should an absolute novice be told about this thing?

Android/google assistant works a lot better for voice commands once you train it with your voice. Especially if your accent isn't American...

It'll be in the google home app on the phone, just open it and it will probably ask you if you want to to do it, if not you could alway say 'ok google, how do I train google assistant'...

Nobody else? What can this thing do that I might not expect? Any foibles I should be aware of? Should the phone button on the right-hand steering wheel array work, because I don't think mine does.

If you open Google maps on your phone or computer, in the settings in your profile there is an option to configure your car as an EV and set the charger socket types it can use

Maps support for charge points is pretty limited at the moment, but Google say they are working in it.

My Electroverse app is available on the car screen along with other apps like pod casts etc. It's a bit easier the use then via the car screen than the phone when on a journey.

I don't tend to use the voice much, mainly replying to people who message me in the car. AA will also offer to read texts to you when they arrive.

Trading Google assistance to your voice definitely improves the recognition

I didn't find the setting for an EV when I first looked, but I'll try again now I know it's there. A bit strange when the car is bound to the phone that it doesn't know automatically. (Oddly, I did find how to tell it which charger sockets I could use, so maybe as I set that it has taken the hint.)

I have also found the facility to train it for voice recognition, so I'll do that when I have time.

I found that the voice button on the left-hand steering wheel array works, but the phone button on the right doesn't seem to. Although I thought it did when I first connected the phone? Maybe I need to try again.

I use the waze app for avoiding traffic to and from work.

Regarding voice commands, mines been a bit flaky recently so unsure if an update has affected anything.

As other shave said, change Google Maps settings to an electric vehicle. When calling prople my experience is to use full name, or name as you have saved in contacts. If you have more than one number for a contact, then specify which number you want to dial, e.g home or mobile.

I use the waze app for avoiding traffic to and from work.
I used to use Waze years ago when I was high miler, but I cannot see it has any features that are not now in Google maps (after all Google own it), and with maps you do not get all those annoying adverts they have put in Waze now whenever you stop at a junction.

I used to use Waze years ago when I was high miler, but I cannot see it has any features that are not now in Google maps (after all Google own it), and with maps you do not get all those annoying adverts they have put in Waze now whenever you stop at a junction.
I don't see any adverts at junctions?

You can't play music saved on your phone via bluetooth whilst connected to AA - so I downloaded "Musicalot", which works with AA and all is good.

Do try the bite size games - they are really silly (maybe not chess, but not had long enough wait to try that one!) but they pass the time.

I prefer Waze to Google maps - but mainly because it gives the cost of the tolls, which is not a (major) issue in the UK (Google might do that now, but haven't used it for a while). I can also change the voice guidance to something stupid, annoying my wife, which is a bonus!

Also, not directly related but, I bought a really short USB cable with right-angle connectors, so my phone just sits in the tray at the front without loads of wire everywhere. This is great the majority of the time until you need to look at the actual phone whilst parked.... First world problems, eh?!

Thanks very much for that. I'm now about to see how it performs taking me to a car park in Glasgow which isn't the one I usually use. I think I know where I'm going, but we'll see.

FWIW I listen to music from my phone using BT earbuds whilst out walking - I don't notice any real degradation in music quality; then again I'm partly deaf as it is. :)

People criticising the sound degradation through bluetooth. I haven't tried so I don't know if it's significant.
If you download a music player app such as the previously mentioned Musicolet or Media monkey the sound will be via USB to Android Auto.
I sometimes use a set of bluetooth earbuds while on holiday and cannot detect any degradation in sound quality.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 510 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back