New to Android Auto - any tips?

Bluetooth is audibly inferior to a wired connection on most audio systems as it really compresses the sound unless you're using a high res codec (and even then you may hear it). If you're using android auto I do recommend you install an app to listen to radio stations - like bluetooth, DAB is inferior in quality to most streamed radio stations - try an experiment - listen to a BBC station through DAB then through BBC sounds running on android auto. The latter will almost certainly sound a lot better.

Just used the satnav to go to Glasgow and back. I checked the car park I wanted on Google maps on my PC before I left. When I got into the car, the phone immediately presented that as my chosen destination and asked me to confirm.

Then, I thought the estimated journey time was a bit long, and that it was varying as I drove for no readily apparent reason. Then I realised it knew about a traffic jam on the M8 fifty miles from home and had been factoring in the expected delay in real time.

Well impressed.

Just used the satnav to go to Glasgow and back. I checked the car park I wanted on Google maps on my PC before I left. When I got into the car, the phone immediately presented that as my chosen destination and asked me to confirm.

Then, I thought the estimated journey time was a bit long, and that it was varying as I drove for no readily apparent reason. Then I realised it knew about a traffic jam on the M8 fifty miles from home and had been factoring in the expected delay in real time.

Well impressed.
If you begin heading towards such a hold up, you'll start seeing other grey route lines, each tagged with "3 minutes slower", "5 minutes faster" etc, as alternate routes to get you past the traffic.
If you tap on (or just turn onto) one of them, it will switch you to that route.

Yes, I saw these all the time, even when there wasn't a hold-up. My experience of coming off the M8 in the centre of town when there's a snarl-up is that the game is not usually worth the candle, unless the hold-up is very severe - which this one wasn't. It was amazing to me the way it had factored in that hold-up right from the start of my journey and was regularly updating the journey time with reference to how bad the hold-up currently was. It was also telling my how much time I would lose to the hold-up even as it was factoring it in.

The alternative routes could certainly come in handy - I can think of a couple of times in the past when they'd have been invaluable. Sudden road closure due to a crash that has just happened, for one.

I tend to use the attentive routes to take "more interesting" roads if we are not in a hurry. We had a fantastic scenic drive over the peaks at the weekend on all but empty roads doing just that on our way to Wentworth Castle. Five minutes longer, but 100% nicer than the A road.

Good idea!

At the moment I'm using the satnav on journeys where I know where I'm going, just to get used to it, and familiar with its capabilities. It's a bit annoying that I now can't text someone from the car without the radio cutting out, mind you.

The Tomtom app is my preferred sat nav for Android auto. It costs £12.99/yr but maps are offline and I think its better guidance visually than Google maps. Just got back from the 🇺🇸 where it paid for itself in saved roaming data charges. Even if you save a offline line map in Google you still need a connection to calculate a route.

My husband is Turkish with an unusual name, so I have had to relabel him ’Husband’ on my contacts as Google can’t cope.
I have also learnt that if I say ‘OK Google’ I have to pause for it to wake up. If I say ‘OK Google call husband’ too quickly it quotes the definition of a husband!

My Electroverse app is available on the car screen along with other apps like pod casts etc. It's a bit easier the use then via the car screen than the phone when on a journey.
As a note on this, in the Auto settings on your phone you can hide/show apps to not show in the list. If you're like me you don't want a huge list to try and read while driving.

The Tomtom app is my preferred sat nav for Android auto. It costs £12.99/yr but maps are offline and I think its better guidance visually than Google maps. Just got back from the 🇺🇸 where it paid for itself in saved roaming data charges. Even if you save a offline line map in Google you still need a connection to calculate a route.
If I offline the map, Google maps calculates routes fine when I have no signal - isn't that the purpose of it! When you get a signal it says "you're back online" and updates the traffic info and route if necessary.

Last edited:
It's often easier to set up the journey in Google maps on your phone while stationary before you set off, and press the start navigation button and it will transfer the trip onto the car's screen. Setting it up on your phone allows you more easily to review and select the routes it is offering you before you start. You can review and select alternative routes on the car's screen by pressing the button that has the icon of two upwards arrows (one a solid line arrow the other dashed) and selecting the one you prefer. It will usually offer a quickest route, a shortest route and a most power efficient route.

Yes, I saw these all the time, even when there wasn't a hold-up. My experience of coming off the M8 in the centre of town when there's a snarl-up is that the game is not usually worth the candle, unless the hold-up is very severe - which this one wasn't. It was amazing to me the way it had factored in that hold-up right from the start of my journey and was regularly updating the journey time with reference to how bad the hold-up currently was. It was also telling my how much time I would lose to the hold-up even as it was factoring it in.

The alternative routes could certainly come in handy - I can think of a couple of times in the past when they'd have been invaluable. Sudden road closure due to a crash that has just happened, for one.
I believe it's using the real time data from the mobile phones of people stuck in the jam - conditions may change by the time you get to the affected spot, but it will factor that in as it gets new data.

Well, I suppose everyone but me had this bit figured, but well impressed again.

I'm at the eastern end of the M8, heading for Glasgow, this time to the car park I normally use so I am in no need of a satnav. However, the traffic was atrocious, and I started to worry if I would get there in time. I remembered that although I had no idea of the traffic ahead, AA would know. I pulled over for a couple of minutes, got my phone connected, AA up on the screen, and entered my destination.

AA immediately informed me I would get there by 18.47, which was OK but not exactly excessive for my purposes - curtain-up at the theatre was 19.15. I wanted to buy a sandwich and a drink, and consume these, before going in.

I kept AA onscreen, of course, and as I approached Livingston I saw an alternative route indicated as "six minutes less". Hmm, I could use six minutes, I thought. So I turned off the motorway and followed the directions into Livingston, going round a cloverleaf interchange I have met before and would normally avoid like the plague. I mean, that place is a mess of roundabouts, and just this week I discovered my ophthalmologist has moved his clinic out of there partly because "Livingston is not a place you want to bring people to if they have an eyesight problem."

I just followed the blue line, along roads I would have had no clue about under normal circumstances, and still the arrival time was showing as 18.41. Eventually AA guided me back on to the motorway, which was still fairly gummed up, but I had clearly skipped a very bad section and gained six minutes. Which made all the difference, as it happened. Sandwich and drink duly queued-for and bought and consumed in time for the curtain-up. Good show.

Last edited:
i've been using Android Auto off and on for months, but it's a bit weird on my Trophy, and I'd like to work out what's going on before I get the dreaded software update next week.

When I'm playing music from my phone on AA, everything is fine for a bit, then suddenly the volume drops. On examining the screen, I find it has switched to Bluetooth! If I try pressing the Android Auto icon on the screen, nothing happens - Bluetooth has totally taken over. I can even remove the USB cable, and the music carries on playing.

Meanwhile AA generally works on Google maps.

Why the problem with music (I tend to use the Tidal app on the phone) - am I missing something?

I think Android Auto uses the USB link for data exchange with the car (Google Maps rendering etc) and uses Bluetooth for the audio link (phone calls, music from your phone) - the AA system has to have both connections working to function. You may be able to increase the Bluetooth volume sent from your phone by adjusting the settings in your phone - best fiddled with when you're stationary.

Yes, interesting. Unfortunately, my car is so inconsistent that I really can't make sense of what AA is doing - particularly with music.

I think I'll wait till the software is updated before wasting any more time on it - it could be quite different :alien:

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 511 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back