New wall charger location

I would like a charger installing in my garage and one of the questions I need to answer is how far from the main fuse box will it be. I have power in the garage already with a small fuse box, however, I assume that as it's not the "main" fuse box this will not be ok to use to connect the charger to. This would be a pity as the location is around 12 metres from the house fuse box and would also involve a trench digging (I think) all adding to the cost. Does anyone know if the garage fuse box would be ok to use?
When BP fitted my charger they gave it it’s own fuse box they actually fitted my fuse on an outside wall as it was easier so I can’t see why installing it in your garage isn’t a problem

Can you locate the RCD on your consumer unit as it should give you the fuse amperage for your garage - you need 32amps for charger.

When BP fitted my charger they gave it it’s own fuse box they actually fitted my fuse on an outside wall as it was easier so I can’t see why installing it in your garage isn’t a problem
Thanks Steve. I hope that when I get round to having one installed they can do something like that as it sounds like a good idea 😀👍

Thanks for the quick reply Biffo. Yes I think you are probably right. I'm managing ok on the granny charger at the moment so might stick with that for now 😀👍
I was going to get a home charger but then I found out you can use the 7kw & 22kw charger at Tesco for free so I am hanging back until they start charging to use them

I was going to get a home charger but then I found out you can use the 7kw & 22kw charger at Tesco for free so I am hanging back until they start charging to use them
Using the free units at Tesco to grab a quick charge is great, but not when you need to put a LOT of charge in your battery that is.
Yes they are free, but charging overnight on cheap off peak electric when you are sleeping and not waiting around, is worth the cost IMHO.
Charging from home has to be one of the major advantages of owning an EV I think.
I would consider grabbing a wall box before the grant ends !.

Can you locate the RCD on your consumer unit as it should give you the fuse amperage for your garage - you need 32amps for charger.
If there is the room to fit it by the consumer unit they will do so but in my case it was to tight a fix so they fitted it on an outside wall in a waterproof box.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom