New ZS EV ACC change sensitivity/rate of acceleration

02coled

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
Hi All,

I'm new to the forum.

I was lucky enough to test drive the new MG ZS EV Trophy Connect today, even though it was unregistered and on trade plates with the protective wrapping still on (long story).

Anyhow, I was generally really impressed with the vehicle, the quality of finish, how it drove and its features.

I did however have one issue with the car which is putting me off placing an order because of how much I use ACC. The issue was how slow the ACC reacted to either changes of manual speed setting, the car in front accelerating away or manoeuvring into a lane which was clear ahead. I had a play through the car settings and couldn't find any adjustment for the ACC sensitivity/acceleration (like you do on VW's), I also tried changing between the driving modes and this didn't appear to change how the ACC reacted. Did I miss a setting somewhere, was I not using it correctly, or is the ACC very slow to react on the MG ACC system?

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Hi All,

I'm new to the forum.

I was lucky enough to test drive the new MG ZS EV Trophy Connect today, even though it was unregistered and on trade plates with the protective wrapping still on (long story).

Anyhow, I was generally really impressed with the vehicle, the quality of finish, how it drove and its features.

I did however have one issue with the car which is putting me off placing an order because of how much I use ACC. The issue was how slow the ACC reacted to either changes of manual speed setting, the car in front accelerating away or manoeuvring into a lane which was clear ahead. I had a play through the car settings and couldn't find any adjustment for the ACC sensitivity/acceleration (like you do on VW's), I also tried changing between the driving modes and this didn't appear to change how the ACC reacted. Did I miss a setting somewhere, was I not using it correctly, or is the ACC very slow to react on the MG ACC system?

Thanks in advance for any responses.
I was using ACC on the motorway yesterday in my Gen1 ZS EV and, yes it was a bit slow to realise the car in front had sped away, I don't recall seeing any settings to change the reaction, except moving the detection range closer to the car (by twisting the stalk towards you). That may make it quicker to react?

I call that function "gain", as in amplification in electronics. It is very poor in the ZS and I do not think you can change it. I have not tried changing the driving modes. The thing you can do is just press the accelerator - that causes no problems and the ACC is still operational afterwards.

The Gen2 ZS EV has the same hardware/software of the Gen1, so it will be slow to react when car in front had sped away. Also, no regen on ACC.

The only ACC feature I adjust is how close to the car in front it will sit, which lets you move closer behind. But after playing around, I decided not very helpful.
If trying to cruise along a motorway with maximum range, I have sometime sit quite close to a lorry at 58mph or whatever their cruise control speed is.
However in this scenario the ACC is less efficient (eg no regenerative braking) so it doesnt make sense to use it.
If the new long range makes 2-3h on a motorway a possible journey, then using ACC will likely be more important than my Gen 1 ZS EV.
There is a rather delicious irony in an EV, that driving quicker, with less efficiency, which then creates an extra 20-30 minute stop, may result in a slower journey.
Hence I tend to dial in 60mph and sit back / relax!

I haven't used ACC much on the ZS, so I'm not sure if it's the same, but on the Prius I had before, the take off was slow, but once it started moving the car accelerated quicker in sport mode.

daft question, you said the car was unregistered and ptotective wrapping still on, do you think there might of been protective film on the the radar which could be affecting its reaction time?

I call that function "gain", as in amplification in electronics. It is very poor in the ZS and I do not think you can change it. I have not tried changing the driving modes. The thing you can do is just press the accelerator - that causes no problems and the ACC is still operational afterwards.
That's what I do use the accelerater to compensate for the lack of response.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom