Newbie questions

CaptReid

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Hi sorry if this has already been covered, I have searched but can’t find the answers, I’ve also asked the dealer but I don’t think they know. So I have a MG4 trophy, just got it last week, and it’s my first electric car. So I don’t really know anything about them, I have a couple of queries that I hope someone will be able to help.

1- does the MG4 have its own internet connection or something to connect to the app?

2- I’m charging at the moment with a granny lead,( today will be the second time I’ve charged it)when it got to 80% it slowed down, but when I put it on today it’s going really slow (1.2KWh) is there anything I should be doing or is it just plug in and lock it?

3- what are peoples thoughts on the heater, when my wife googled why it wasn’t working it said to try in normal drive mode, it did work then but that’s drive mode and I assumed that it would only affect driving not heating, there is also a energy efficiency mode (or something like that) that should then reduce heating

Sorry for babbling on, love the car and hope someone could help me with these minor issues
Thanks

1. The MG4 has an eSIM built in to it that provides app connectivity. That's why you have to bind the car to the app via the QR code. The Trophy also has Internet features (like Amazon Music and live updates for the built-in satnav) ... The SE models only get such features if you use Android Auto / Apple Carplay.

2. You don't say what your current state of charge (SoC) is (when trying to charge for the 2nd time). It is not unusual for charge rate to slow down above 80% SoC. Also, once the charge is near 100% the car might go into "cell balance" mode which uses a low charge rate to realign the capacities of all the battery cells.

3. I don't have my car yet so can't comment re. the heater. But I know someone else has posted about the heating not seeming to work until they put the temperature right up.

Cheers for quick reply,
1- my car doesn’t have any connection so I can’t bind app
2- when I plugged it in today it was at 38%

Sorry for double post, also meant to say that I have heard of charging slowing down at 80% but when does it need to slow down from 2.3KWh when using a granny lead

Cheers for quick reply,
1- my car doesn’t have any connection so I can’t bind app
2- when I plugged it in today it was at 38%
Can I ask how you know the car doesn't have any connection? Is it because you can't get Amazon music (if you have a trophy model) for example?

Alan

Hi Alan, when I’m trying to connect to the app it gives a message saying no connection, I’ve tried at a few different locations and times, took it back to the dealer at the weekend and the app connected, but I said “it’s connected to your Wi-Fi” he said “when you get home connect it to yours” I said “ it will only work at home then” and that was that

The app works over WiFi or via your phone data. The car esim works over mobile carrier data hence esim (basically same as the sim in your phone) and should not be reliant on WiFi for communication. I assume your phone has a good WiFi or mobile carrier signal in the car. The only other possible issue is poor 3/4/5g signal reception but given you have tried different locations that should not be the case. So is all phone signalling on, wifi, mobile data roaming and Bluetooth?

Alan

So am I supposed to connect the car to my phone data, I thought the car is supposed to have its own? That would again mean I would have to be close to the car for the app to work

There seems to be some misunderstanding here ... have you gone through the process to bind your phone/iSMART account to the car? (i.e. if you open the iSMART app can you see your car configured in the app?)

No. To be clear the car has its own data sim. To connect your phone has to have a WiFi connection or data roaming active to connect the app to the mg network. And then scan the small QR code to pair mg app account on phone to the car. Once active the app can connect from more than one device

Alan

Last edited:
Sorry for double post, also meant to say that I have heard of charging slowing down at 80% but when does it need to slow down from 2.3KWh when using a granny lead
Rapid charging is when the rate slows down over 80%, granny's only ment for an emergency,not full time charging ?

Can someone offer some advice on my charging please ….

I am currently using a MER unteathered charger locally whilst I wait for my home charger to be installed.

The charger signage says it has a charging capability of between 7 and 22kw but when I connect the car’s supplied Type 2 cable to it, the maximum I get is 6.8kw and sometimes less.

Is there a reason why I don’t get nearer the 22kw that the charger is capable of ? I can’t see a way of selecting different charge rates in either the car, it’s app, the charger, or the MER app. Do I need a different cable to get the higher speeds, or could it be something else ?

Thanks in advance - and Admin - please move this post if it id in the wrong place. Ta

The car is limited by the type of inbuilt AC charger and cable. UK models should be type 2 single phase charger which limits AC charging to 7kw about the level you are getting. If you look at your supplied cable L2 and L3 pins will not be provided with metal connectors.

Some early models were accidentally supplied with 11kw inbuilt chargers which need 3 phase input. To check look at the car socket to see if L2 and L3 are populated. If you are one of the lucky ones you need to buy a type 2 3 phase charging cable.

Alan

Have a look at the treads about the cable.
In summary hopefully correctly

What model have you the SR only has a 7kw onboard charger, the LR/Trophy seems to be coming with an 11kw one (I confirmed this on my car due for delivery yesterday)

Check the pins in the charge port to confirm between 7and11kw as there has been some debate re UK spec all being 7kw

7kw look like this 2 pins missing
FB_IMG_1667307036836.jpg

11kw like this
11648-896a096ba24f9a58a4563ed5316f433c.jpg

The next thing to consider is the lead. The supplied lead is a 7kw single phase 32amp lead so you won't get more with that either way. To get 11kw max you need a 3 phase 32amp lead.

11kw is the max you would get on an AC charger on any MG

The car is limited by the type of inbuilt AC charger and cable. UK models should be type 2 single phase charger which limits AC charging to 7kw about the level you are getting. If you look at your supplied cable L2 and L3 pins will not be provided with metal connectors.

Some early models were accidentally supplied with 11kw inbuilt chargers which need 3 phase input. To check look at the car socket to see if L2 and L3 are populated. If you are one of the lucky ones you need to buy a type 2 3 phase charging cable.

Alan
I have never been convinced that the UK LR models can only do 7kW and it is a mistake. Why would the manual state 11kW and delivered cars consistently be able to achieve that?

Can someone offer some advice on my charging please ….

I am currently using a MER unteathered charger locally whilst I wait for my home charger to be installed.

The charger signage says it has a charging capability of between 7 and 22kw but when I connect the car’s supplied Type 2 cable to it, the maximum I get is 6.8kw and sometimes less.

Is there a reason why I don’t get nearer the 22kw that the charger is capable of ? I can’t see a way of selecting different charge rates in either the car, it’s app, the charger, or the MER app. Do I need a different cable to get the higher speeds, or could it be something else ?

Thanks in advance - and Admin - please move this post if it id in the wrong place. Ta
You need a different car to get the full speed.
Only the Renault Zoe and some early Tesla Model S will charge at 22kW on AC.

You need a different car to get the full speed.
Only the Renault Zoe and some early Tesla Model S will charge at 22kW on AC.
Exactly. AC charging rates depend on the onboard charger installed in the car which converts AC input to DC for the car's battery. The MG4's internal charger cannot do more than 11kW (some say 7kW) and you will never get the full 22kW.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 543 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back