Next years facelift ZS EV

We need a spy at the dock to see them loaded for uk
There are already some of these ZS EV Facelifted versions stickered up at Longbridge headquarters. I have not seen them myself but I have been told today that the bumpers are as per facelifted ICE ZS, the charging flap is side hinged and slides to one side range of the bigger battery is said to be close to 300 miles, the info screen is larger and the seats looked similar to the facelift version. Demos are due in September. However currently neither the existing ZS EV or the New facelifted version can be ordered by MG dealers...

Last edited:
Very interesting. I had heard that some had been seen out testing in the Peak District. The cynical side of me says they will wait for a couple of months as the ship full of 5 extended range will need selling. They will sell remaining standard 5s (500?) Then once they have sold all the 5 extended range bring in the face lift 5 so how to introduce a model that could rob sales from that plan (EV facelift) is a problem for them as they have 5 and 5 extended range stick to sell. Both those models will be obsolete and no longer on sale this time next year I think?

Very interesting. I had heard that some had been seen out testing in the Peak District. The cynical side of me says they will wait for a couple of months as the ship full of 5 extended range will need selling. They will sell remaining standard 5s (500?) Then once they have sold all the 5 extended range bring in the face lift 5 so how to introduce a model that could rob sales from that plan (EV facelift) is a problem for them as they have 5 and 5 extended range stick to sell. Both those models will be obsolete and no longer on sale this time next year I think?
There’s a fair bit of speculation there! My son is in the market for an EV - so I told him about the 5 LR and Miles’s comment about being able to get a cracking deal on one of the original 5’s. He enquired via three separate leasing companies & was told that all stock had been sold! Things certainly seem to move quickly in the EV world.

Very interesting. I had heard that some had been seen out testing in the Peak District. ....
That was an MG Marvel towing a trailer near Buxton. But that is definitely not coming to the UK any time soon.

LOL he can have mine.

I was at my local dealer having a look round Sunday morning (Budgen Telford)
There were 4 MG5 outside and two inside none had sold on them? Miles has to be carful with what he says he is MG after all but there will be Ist gen 5s galore at knock down prices as they have declared that when these have gone there will be no more shipped here and the same will happen with the extended range when that UK stock is gone it will not be on sale here as soon as the face lift arrives. Yes some speculation here, but I have been buying and selling cars privately for over 40 years and have never seen cars become obsolete at this rate.

It seem that the UK has been chosen to dump these LHD end of line cars as other markets are going or have gone straight to the MG5 facelift. No cars residuals can withstand stock clearance discounting, next generation car being more capable if marginally more expensive and then a complete face lift all within 18 months. Your son will indeed be able o pick up a very capable but obsolete 1st gen 5 and rock bottom price in the coming months.

By the way the reasons above, is why leasing companies will not be restocking its would make no sense financially as the asset would deprecate too quickly and to compensate the rentals would have to go up to levels of the more mainstream (more expensive) manufacturers

Sorry getting hot under the collar I mean the RHD cars obviously in the posts above Dohhhh

I don’t think the mk1 MG5 will become obsolete. You may be surprised at the continuing demand on the second hand market. Any make that is heavily discounted when new can take a residual hit. We’re in uncharted waters with these EV’s. I think they will hold values and demand better than you think.

We all have our views so no problem I just disagree.

Residuals dive when you drive off the forecourt. But 3 different variants in such a short time is unprecedented. There will be demand because the second hand value of the cars will be so low after MG discount to get rid of the last few a new cars and there will be a market flooded with cars including (later) the extended range cars which owners have traded for the facelift which will have sunroof/towbar/LED lights etc etc. Lastly any car that is no longer part of the MG line up and not for sale new is obsolete.

Revisit this post in 2 years time when there is only the facelift on sale. MG will have to homologate the facelift, no reason that could not happen now except there are a lot of RHD worldwide stock to move through UK first as the other RHD markets have jumped to Facelift. I could be wrong but I can't find examples of the intermediate (old face) range extender on sale in any other RHD market. These are probably standard unsold 5's that have been enhanced to long-range spec to clear stock. The extra range is from modification of the same battery with tweaks to chemistry/control software. Then throw in pilot to sweeten the deal and find a single market where demand is strong to clear stock.

Sincerely hope I'm wrong time will tell.

Just going on the posts in this forum it seems there will be quite a few used MGs for sale when the facelift models become available.
I suspect there will always be a strong market for good used vehicles but if supply outstrips demand prices will drop.

bigger battery is said to be close to 300 miles
This would back up the suggestion that the HV pack in the LR version will be close to 70 kw's.
If so, I am thinking "Real World" range of 250 (ish) miles of range ???.
On the last Pod Cast, Miles said the the Chorley group had just obtained 50 ZS EV's !.
You can have any colour you like, as long as it's blue :giggle: .
Anybody wishing to upgrade from the MK1 - ZS EV or from the MK1 - MG5 in the future, to the longer range models, will only be possible, IF the residual valves of the first gen models remain strong / robust.
Giving the current early adopters, the opportunity to upgrade to Gen 2 cars, then brings in a supply of EV's at a more cost effective price.
Great news for more potentially new EV customers, who find the cost of owning a brand new EV - JUST a little to far out of their reach.
The second hand cars will still be coming with the transferable balance of the warranty, which is great for the dealer and the new owners.
Wash / Polish / PDI and onto the forecourt in less than half a day.
And yes - I worked in the trade, so I know how it works !.
If the trade in valves of Gen1 models are low, then current owners will not be able to justify the upgrade to the next Gen models.
That is just pure a simple.
This will then stall the influx of good affordable EV's into the dealers.
Remember a good percentage of these early cars are on PCP deals that are likely to be running on a three year or four year time scale.
Some of these first ZS EV models, will only be two years old in November !.
This time next year, would have been a better time for first Gen model owners.
Also, due to Covid restrictions a lot of these cars have very little mileage on the clock.
Customers paying payments on their PCP deals, set against a pre-agreed mileage covered / year.
In a LOT of cases, these people have been paying for miles they could not cover.
Nobodies fault, but the owner is finding it difficult to off set the cost against the use in return.
Owners to consider an upgrade, will need to consolidate the remaining balance of the original PCP agreement, and move over the balance to the new car.
This is going to result in a much higher monthly outlay, or the prospect of even increasing the term from three to four years, to keep the cost down.
This is very likely to be a bridge to wide to cross for most customers.
Yes - Of course the LR model will appeal to a whole new batch of customers, but you still need the return business from the original customers, to provide return income and stock onto the second hand EV dealer market.
It is vital to retain the original customers if possible.
Securing the sale of an upgrade to an original customer is effectively grossing two sales / profit at the same single point of sale.
This is not rocket science, it's just common sense and good / clever sales tactics.

I was at a MGB day on Sunday and there was a MG dealer there. Sales chap told me that the new ZS is due in January 2022 and will have a 250-275 mile range. As noted above, there are other models coming as well.

Has anyone else seen this yet? Looks like we get to keep the current grille whilst getting a unique new bumper style and bigger battery. New power train too...

View attachment 3584

More here:

As others have said this is a speculative render, the design patent graphic shows a new charging door like the MG5 one.

Personally, I'm not bothered in the slightest by tweaks to the bumpers , light clusters, trim etc.

It's the range and mechanicals that I'm hoping to see improved. o_O
LED lights would be nice, in place of the candles we have now. ;)

......... The extra range is from modification of the same battery with tweaks to chemistry/control software. Then throw in pilot to sweeten the deal and find a single market where demand is strong to clear stock.

The extra range is from a bigger battery, going from 52 to 61 kWh.

Residuals dive when you drive off the forecourt. But 3 different variants in such a short time is unprecedented. There will be demand because the second hand value of the cars will be so low after MG discount to get rid of the last few a new cars and there will be a market flooded with cars including (later) the extended range cars which owners have traded for the facelift which will have sunroof/towbar/LED lights etc etc. Lastly any car that is no longer part of the MG line up and not for sale new is obsolete.

Revisit this post in 2 years time when there is only the facelift on sale. MG will have to homologate the facelift, no reason that could not happen now except there are a lot of RHD worldwide stock to move through UK first as the other RHD markets have jumped to Facelift. I could be wrong but I can't find examples of the intermediate (old face) range extender on sale in any other RHD market. These are probably standard unsold 5's that have been enhanced to long-range spec to clear stock. The extra range is from modification of the same battery with tweaks to chemistry/control software. Then throw in pilot to sweeten the deal and find a single market where demand is strong to clear stock.

Fair comments

Don't confuse batted capacity with a bigger battery the capacity has increase by changes in the existing battery chemistry/control and allows a higher density of charge per kg of battery. The car including the pilot upgrade is almost the same all up mass as the current car. A new battery (bigger) would have boosted the weight considerably.

A 40kwhr battery delivers 40kwhr - to deliver more, the battery is rated higher - for example 60kwhr. When people talk about a bigger battery they generally mean a higher capacity battery, not physical size or weight.
A higher capacity battery will generally be heavier than a lower capacity, although batteries are becoming lighter with improved tech. This is why commercial vehicles and aircraft have stalled a little due to the massive relative weight that would be taken by the batteries.
Different countries rate the range differently and this adds to the confusion of what a specific size (capacity) of battery will deliver in a comparison for the same setup car in different countries.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom