No regen when braking

That is curious, I do not get that on my car. When the brake pedal is pushed, touching the accelerator does nothing, no attempt at applying power. I have not tried that with the Hill hold system in use however, as I normally do not use it.

I'm sure most people know that auto-cruise control slows down using the brakes rather than regen which is annoying, but in normal driving then most people think that you get regen when braking? I remember when I posted about my test drive with the ZS and said that I didn't like the fact that it didn't regen when braking, Miles then pointed out that it does regen when braking and I was happy to be wrong. I've since said that you get regen when braking on my posts on this forum but think that is wrong. If you had regen when braking then I'd expect the regen to kick in when you press the brake pedal and as you press harder then the regen will increase until it starts to require the assistance of brake pads. I don't see that happening at all. The regen, as far as I can see, is just down to the KERS setting you're on and that kicks in when you lift off the accelerator and so has nothing to do with the brakes. Been annoying me for a while now, what do others think?
Yep, regents usually kicks in when you lift off the accelerator. Alter KERS setting to adjust level of regen/vehicle slowing. No regen when auto cruising. Note: Regen does not kick in when EV charged to 100%.

That is curious, I do not get that on my car. When the brake pedal is pushed, touching the accelerator does nothing, no attempt at applying power. I have not tried that with the Hill hold system in use however, as I normally do not use it.
You have to look at the power meter on the dash to see it happening as it feels like regen is slowing you down but it's the brakes until you come to a complete stop or touch the accelerator. (It only occurs if the car has already started slowing in ACC or Pilot)

You have to look at the power meter on the dash to see it happening as it feels like regen is slowing you down but it's the brakes until you come to a complete stop or touch the accelerator. (It only occurs if the car has already started slowing in ACC or Pilot)
Yeah you can be stopped in a queue of traffic and look a the power meter and see it at 6% which is crazy. There must be some feedback though as pressing the brakes much harder will zero it. Have I mentioned I find it annoying? :D

Yeah you can be stopped in a queue of traffic and look a the power meter and see it at 6% which is crazy. There must be some feedback though as pressing the brakes much harder will zero it. Have I mentioned I find it annoying? :D
How lightly are you tapping the brakes to bring your car to a stop then??? Normal stopping pressure should be enough to disengage the drive, I find it only holds power when stopped if i stopped on a hill, and just like using a clutch on an ICE car the car is 'holding' its position waiting for you to decide if you want to go or not. Just try using a bit more pressure on the foot brake when you stop. :)

It depends how you define braking!

But yes. On ZSEV regen only occurs with the equivalent of ICE engine braking, i.e. lifting off the accelerator and letting the vehicle do its thing. The vehicle is braking, but it's not the brakes doing it, if that makes sense.

The actual foot pedal connected brakes themselves are indeed just bog standard brakes as you would get in an ICE vehicle and are not linked to the regen in any way.

When I use them I feel a sense of failure for not having anticipated the road ahead properly 😂
I agree with you, braking with the pedal should be the exception, not the rule.

Both my Ioniq and Kona which I drove previously used regen to brake and the physical brake only came into effect when emergency braking or coming to a complete stop. If you look at the power meter on the MG, you can see the regen slows the car when you take your foot of the accelerator. At no point have I seen the brake pedal affect the regen.
Mine does(Trophy Mg4), you have to press gently to give extra regen,(25%max) with service brake, they are fly by wire brakes and so can be/are linked with regen. Same goes for acc, it uses both. 👍

The whole system is sh*te tbh. If you hold the car on the brakes you can see the power increase as the car tries to fight the brakes. If it was properly integrated then it should know that you want the car stopped because you're pressing the brakes and so shouldn't try and keep the car moving. The only time I want regen is when I want to slow down i.e brake, so to not have them connected is annoying to say the least.
If you press harder on the pedal when stationary, the power meter goes to zero. 👍

It depends how you define braking!

But yes. On ZSEV regen only occurs with the equivalent of ICE engine braking, i.e. lifting off the accelerator and letting the vehicle do its thing. The vehicle is braking, but it's not the brakes doing it, if that makes sense.

The actual foot pedal connected brakes themselves are indeed just bog standard brakes as you would get in an ICE vehicle and are not linked to the regen in any way.

When I use them I feel a sense of failure for not having anticipated the road ahead properly 😂
The brakes on the MG4 are very different to the Zs ev, they are now "fly by wire" and as such work together with regen. 👍

MG4: Not sure I like the sound of that! The software on the zs is iffy enough without having to worry about it working the the brakes as well! What happens if the main battery system throws a wobbly? Is there a hydraulic back-up?

I'm sure most people know that auto-cruise control slows down using the brakes rather than regen which is annoying, but in normal driving then most people think that you get regen when braking? I remember when I posted about my test drive with the ZS and said that I didn't like the fact that it didn't regen when braking, Miles then pointed out that it does regen when braking and I was happy to be wrong. I've since said that you get regen when braking on my posts on this forum but think that is wrong. If you had regen when braking then I'd expect the regen to kick in when you press the brake pedal and as you press harder then the regen will increase until it starts to require the assistance of brake pads. I don't see that happening at all. The regen, as far as I can see, is just down to the KERS setting you're on and that kicks in when you lift off the accelerator and so has nothing to do with the brakes. Been annoying me for a while now, what do others think?
From all of the replies I still don’t know if MG Pilot uses regen when slowing down. The dashboard indicator says it doesn’t. MG ZS EV 2020

Last edited:
From all of the replies I still don’t know if MG Pilot uses regen when slowing down. The dashboard indicator says it doesn’t.
No it doesn't. This thread wasn't about ACC as that's already known to not use regen. I was trying to point out that braking doesn't either, which was my first impression when I test drove one and has been niggling me ever since I got the car.

I do not understand this conversation at all. I admit I have only driven my ZSEV, but when I take my foot off the accelerator, this initiates regen on whatever level it is set. When I brake, obviously retardation is increased, but regen carries on until the car stops. The systems are entirely separate and, as I said before, there is no point in linking them.
There is a case for engaging Neutral when really heavy braking in order to remove the inertia of the electric motor and gearing, as one declutches when doing an emergency stop in an ICE car.

When I take my foot off the accelerator, I don't want to accelerate and when I press the brakes I want to slow down. I'd prefer to slow the car with regen rather than heatimg up brake pads and discs so guess when I'd like regen to kick in?

If you have the regen set to 3 (as I do) then it makes no difference, you get max regen from careful use of the accelerator. I used to have on 2, had a discussion with another member where it was pointed out that you can incrementally adjust the regen by use of the accelerator (you can check by the display). I tried it and he was right, I was wrong, regen 1 & 2 are pretty pointless.

So :
MG4 uses regeneration when braking but not no on ACC
ZS regeneration only on lifting foot of fthe accelerator
MG5?

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom