Noise inside back of the car

tmvangen

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Hi In my MG4 Trophy it is an annoying sound from the back of the car in speeds from ca 40 to 65 mph. The sound is metal-like, a bit high frequency, uneven oscillating, and not dependent on the wind or brakes. Not a high sound but is very annoying.I have had it at the workshop once, they heard the noise but could not find the reason. I have a new appointment on Wednesday. Does anyone else have that noise in their car so far?

I’ve not got my car yet but I have heard reports of the spoiler on the Trophy potentially being a bit loose. I know you’ve mentioned that you don’t think it’s wind dependant, but this might explain a noise at speed as air flows over the car? Did the dealership check it on the first visit?

@Stageshoot reported this in his car and it being due to go in to be sorted. But I don't know the outcome.
Have you got either the undertray scoop or is it loose or deformed?

Last edited:
What bulge " nothing to see here" . 😂
200.gif

:LOL: :LOL:

@tmvangen @Stageshoot Did either of you manage to get this sorted on your cars? I picked up my Trophy yesterday and this noise is definitely there at higher speeds. Really irritating after a while!

Not looked into it yet myself. Being selfish as I cant hear it but wife and kids can, so I have kicked it down the road on my things to do list ;-)

One of the benefits of many years sat next to jet engines on test beds my hearing is shot!!... early 80s apprentice hazing when they send you into the test bed to stand next to an engine and then throw it on rapid reheat.!!!

Not looked into it yet myself. Being selfish as I cant hear it but wife and kids can, so I have kicked it down the road on my things to do list ;-)

One of the benefits of many years sat next to jet engines on test beds my hearing is shot!!... early 80s apprentice hazing when they send you into the test bed to stand next to an engine and then throw it on rapid reheat.!!!
I’m glad you see this as a positive experience, I definitely wouldn’t!

I’m glad you see this as a positive experience, I definitely wouldn’t!

You dont seem to see much as a positive experience.

New cars have issues, been driving a new car every year for the past 35 years. you get the new car smell and you get your fair share of time waiting for issues to be resolved.

This is my 10th EV now, Its not the best its not the worst its a tool I use for work, if it got to the point where it peed me off to the point it affected my work I would get rid and get something else that did the job better, but as long as it functions its fine by me. As long as by the time I get rid its saved me more than its cost/lost happy days.

You dont seem to see much as a positive experience.

New cars have issues, been driving a new car every year for the past 35 years. you get the new car smell and you get your fair share of time waiting for issues to be resolved.

This is my 10th EV now, Its not the best its not the worst its a tool I use for work, if it got to the point where it peed me off to the point it affected my work I would get rid and get something else that did the job better, but as long as it functions its fine by me. As long as by the time I get rid its saved me more than its cost/lost happy days.
I was more referring to the fact you got your hearing damaged by your employer…

That’s definitely glass half full stuff.

I was more referring to the fact you got your hearing damaged by your employer…

That’s definitely glass half full stuff.

Least it gives me a good excuse to ignore SWMBO when talking at me about something... ;-)

And as a lot of my work now is in Theatres/Concerts a couple of feet away from Speakers doubt its ever getting better!

EmbeddedImage.jpg

Hi In my MG4 Trophy it is an annoying sound from the back of the car in speeds from ca 40 to 65 mph. The sound is metal-like, a bit high frequency, uneven oscillating, and not dependent on the wind or brakes. Not a high sound but is very annoying. Does anyone else have that noise in their car so far?
The orange test car at the dealership in Ålesund Norway has it, some kind of bearing or drivetrain noise. I realy hope it's not on my car when I get it, because it got real old (iritating) very fast.
It seem to be notisable when the car is warmed up and around 80kmt.

Maybe get the tyres checked.
Several owners have reported ‘flat spots’ on the standard tyres.
They’re not the best made tyres, they’re Chinese versions of continentals, and storage in China/boat/destination seems to cause flat spots.

Did not know that thank you for the info, anyway the noise I'm refering to are defenitly mechanical of some sort. It's not a droning sound it's high pitched squeaking sound, metal on metal or perhaps like brushes/bearings squeaking in a old very well used drill not under load or somthing of that nature.

Definitely sounds like it could be a loose spoiler, been a few more reports of them recently

Hello, i've had a mg4 for 1 year and i've just found a way to fix the whistling problem you hear at the rear: it's due to a poor design of the rear spoiler, it's made of 2 interlocking parts, but there's no seal or glue, so air can infiltrate from the inside. Put tape or putty on it, and it's noiseless!

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 498 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back