OBD Data

MoDolph

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Has anybody had any success reading anything but the most basic OBD data from the MG4?

I've tried Torque and Car Scanner but have yet been unable to get readings such as battery power, battery temperature and SOH. Without these I can't optimise how I use the car properly. Compared to the LEAF with LeafSpy I feel like I'm driving blind.

I have noticed that a Spanish chap has somehow managed to get at least the battery power and SOH data using Torque so it must be possible:

Well, not sure if you are up for an adventure, but you can try to find the values yourself. Here is a tutorial about it:

I expect mine in a couple of months so I will try to do this myself, unless someone else has done it by then.

I use a free app on my ZS gen2 but should work on mg4 as it thinks my car is a 4
This is the OBD2 adapter
Here is a screenshot
Screenshot_20221216-215504.png

That's just one page it has lots of love data I will put up a video at some point when I have time but for the meantime here's a heater test

I wonder what the point is in buying a car and trying to "hack" it to get valuable information to help you increase the car's performance from a point of under performance to expected performance. Assuming that's the purpose of all this.

Again, what's the point, if its not doing the job simply bring it to attention of the seller and stop buying it.

MG have dropped the ball and other Chinese entrants will be here soon to give us equally cheap options.

I wonder what the point is in buying a car and trying to "hack" it to get valuable information to help you increase the car's performance from a point of under performance to expected performance. Assuming that's the purpose of all this.

Again, what's the point, if its not doing the job simply bring it to attention of the seller and stop buying it.

MG have dropped the ball and other Chinese entrants will be here soon to give us equally cheap options.
I don't think anyone mentioned anything about the car's performance here.

Not sure about others, but for me this is mostly due to personal interest and my intrinsic nature of hacking things 😇 I use an OBD adapter in my current diesel car as well.

My interest is also mainly curiosity but it would be nice to try different heater settings to see if any are more efficient. I also want to see the battery temperature to know whether I need to activate battery heating and when the best time to do it is.

Cars should provide this information but often don't. Many don't even show the battery percentage.

I guess you all have a right to satisfy the curiosity within. As for me, I buy something and never get curious about what's inside or how it works enough to delve deep and maybe I should. But if I had such interest I'll be pursuing it further towards being a developer of such rather than buy and try to get inside.

I guess you all have a right to satisfy the curiosity within. As for me, I buy something and never get curious about what's inside or how it works enough to delve deep and maybe I should. But if I had such interest I'll be pursuing it further towards being a developer of such rather than buy and try to get inside.
Yup, this thread seems to be for those with the opposite view point. 👍

Can anyone recommend an OBD reader for me that might work going forward but can also use on my other car (Volvo XC 60) perhaps?

Can anyone recommend an OBD reader for me that might work going forward but can also use on my other car (Volvo XC 60) perhaps?
I have a very cheap ELM327 that I bought through Amazon and works fine (with an Opel Corsa D and an Android phone). I'd suggest that you look into every app's description where they might suggest specific.

On the high end, you can find things such as OBDLink devices. A friend of mine with a Tesla and an iPhone has the OBDLink MX+ and it works great. Just make sure that if you have an iPhone you buy an adapter that works with them.

I'm an engineer and I want to know how everything works. The more data the better as far as I'm concerned!

The one on post 7 is good and has worked on every car I have tried it on one was a v50

So far as I can see from the screenshots on Google PlayStore, it may be able to display all the module software versions - which could be really handy to know.
It can
Screenshot_20221217-140440.png

Don’t suppose it can tell anything about other components? Specifically if the headlights are on?
I’m wanting to make my own HUD, to show the battery percentage, along with the current speed. I had a HUD in my old car, and I miss it :)

Are you sure it's the app and not the OBD2 adaptor I have at least 6 of them an only one works
Maybe, though I have 2 obd2 adapters neither return anything much this app other than very few items, none of the module versions.
Got more basic info in a couple of other apps, nothing that isn't visible on the car screens though.
Have you got this working in a 4?

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 496 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel