Octopus Energy - Sharing my Prices and thoughts - January 2023 onwards…

Thank you for the extra information. Octopus are saying that if I move to their Go tariff (from my existing Go tariff) the switch will happen on 13th January 2023 when my existing contract ends.
I don’t think that I have an option to do anything earlier.

As I’ve mentioned it’s about double off-peak and 4 times the rate peak compared to my existing tariff and not capped and variable.

Btw I’ve found Octopus awful when it comes responding via email (they encourage this form of contact) - well over a week to respond and then the quality of response doesn’t really move anything forward. So I can’t recommend this method of contact.

The trouble is in the current market there are very few options.
Although I don’t believe that prices will ever go back down now I’m afraid. 🙁

My daughter has literally just completed a fairly involved email conversation with Octopus which came to a satisfactory conclusion in less than two days. I think about five emails each way. I only mention that to show that experiences can vary.

I’m pleased that it worked for her. Perhaps they cherry pick the content. My experience is somewhat different…

Seems to be very hit n miss.
My experience by email over the last 3 years had been good and I used them for my EVSE, when ChargedEV screwed it up, the Octopus support for very good.

I have a feeling the most attractive product will be Intelligent Octopus, with Go shifting to a variable rate approach for peak and off peak, hopefully before that hapens they will add some more integrations with chargers as any integration with MG will only work with the facelifted models.

The issue with the GO tariff now, is that due to its popularity, the off peak times have become more of a peak usage!

Just a quick heads-up. If you are an existing Octopus GO customer and your are coming to the end of your fixed contract, and moving to the latest Go tariff (as I am), just be careful if you agree the new terms and conditions ahead of your start date (as most will I guess).
I confirmed mine online using the link that Octopus provided (due to start on 13th January 2023) and the new rates were applied straight away onto my account!
I called Octopus (telephone contact was not a problem) who were most helpful and immediately switched me back to my old tariff until the new one kicks in next year.
So just check that you don’t miss out on the last part of your old deal and that it doesn’t, as it did with me apply the new rates immediately (providing the old deal was better than the new one of course)!

I did the opposite and waited after I got the email with the online link until the existing contract had nearly expired. Then when I followed the link to their website the prices had gone up!

Like you, I phoned Octopus and complained that I had an email quoting one price and their website quoting more. Also, the email did not give any time limit to respond (obviously it needed to be before the old contract expired).

They then said they would honor the original quote. I had to get this in writing because their website still quoted the new, higher, prices and I had to accept the 'incorrect' prices to get the new contract to kick in at all. They didn't seem able to correct their website quote.

On the changeover day the rates changed to the original agreed prices not those that their website quoted me!!! They really need to get their systems sorted.

I don’t think they are fixed anyway now. 🙁

I'm currently trying to get some action out of Octopus in order to correct the time on my meter. It started out 2.5 hours slow and after two attempts to remotely set the time it is now 4 hours slow.

It has been ten weeks since I originally reported the issue. I respond typically within an hour and then wait a week for a response each time. Apparently now it has been referred to the national metering body. Nobody from Octopus will confirm that the bills will be corrected to reflect actual usage.

I suspect they've bitten off more than they can chew with respect to additional customers from failed suppliers.

How are you trying to get a smart meter installed?
I don’t think British Gas EV tariff is currently available (According to the BG website). Octopus give the option for new customers to sign up and they try to get you onto the GO tariff asap I believe.

I find Octopus abysmal when it comes to email correspondence.
Agreed, you need to phone them.

It is taking them 5 days to respond to my emails and often much longer. Had a smart meter installed but without the gas meter connected up, so no idea what gas I am using. 5 weeks in to trying to get them to sort it out with multiple calls each week.

They are a good company - they used to answer my emails within 10 minutes - but they are completely overwhelmed with demand and it will only get worse trying to absorb Bulb.

British gas site is up and running now. I called them and they had a glitch on the system which is now rectified

It’s about the same as Octopus Go for my quote.

I have been following the electricity generation and gas delivery over the last 9 months, longer in terms of electricity. The gas prices which pushed up electricity are now falling. Gas futures have been higher than 450p a Therm (30 kWh to a Therm roughly). Today gas futures are down to 220p and have been falling consistently for the last couple of weeks. Russian gas has proved to be dispensable , Germany, the main customer was buying 50% of its gas from Russia. They have cut consumption by 15% leaving a shortfall of ~35%. The UK has been receiving LNG from Qatar and the US in boat loads, with a one way traffic of LNG converted to gas piped to the continent plus 4-5 GW of electricity sent via interconnectors too. That has been a massive effort rarely publicised by the press. Other routes from Italy and Spain have added to the supply to the extent that European gas storage reached 100% full by the end of November. This was far above what was expected and hoped for. The recent cold spell has led to a withdrawal of gas stocks to 84%. But industry is closed for the most part across Europe for 2 weeks and as of Friday, it was mild and windy, tankers were offloading LNG and wind farms were producing sufficient electricity that gas was being returned to storage in the UK and the gas interconnectors running at half output, but that is still equal to about 25 GW of gas or 12 GW of electricity. (CCGT being about 50% efficient.)
Germany has opened its first of 5 floating LNG terminals, this will provide about 10% of its gas and tankers are on their way to offload now.
World LNG supplies were hampered in 2022 by accidents on 2 major LNG export terminals, one off Australia and the other Freeport in the States. Those 2 terminals are normally filling tankers at the rate of 3 a day. The Australian terminal came on line in the autumn, Freeport will restart at half cock any day now, though they are having difficulties satisfying the safety regulators.

Depending on how far ahead the energy firms have hedged, the government intervened to force hedging after Bulb collapsed, the effect of price falls may be felt before winter next year.

The UK‘s wind power has had a high output this autumn, in part helping gas stocks, but also making a packet for the Low Cost Carbon Company on the cfds it has awarded. Over this autumn SeaGreen wind farm has been built and it should be complete some time in February. Neart Na Goithe will follow in the autumn along with Viking wind farm on Shetland. Dogger Bank A another 1.2 GW wind farm has been started but awaits the arrival of a new heavy lift crane in April. With only about 80 turbines to install it is also scheduled to be ready by next winter. Altogether that is an additional 3 GW of generation that wasn’t there last October.

In the meantime French nuclear reactors are coming back on line with 40 GW of the fleet available. Another 5 GW due back by late spring. That is 50% more than last autumn.

So altogether there should be no shortage of electricity to share round Europe and gas stocks will be built up over the summer again. There isn’t a shortage of gas it just needs to be moved around. In 3 years time Qatar should have another massive lng plant to export its massive gas resources and the problem fixed.

So the high electricity prices should fall quite quickly and certainly by December 2023 we should be looking at prices around 15p a kWh or less.

That’s very informative. I am concerned that whenever energy prices are effected in such a drastic way as they have been, they seldom seem to return to anywhere near the pre-crisis levels, even when there is clear justification to do so.
Just like the linked inflation that we are seeing in food prices, this tends to set precedents for overall higher prices that become the norm. As costs fall, parameters then get manipulated to try and provide some sort of justification.
There’s big profits and massively increased margins for some, who can benefit considerably by holding prices when costs fall.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom