Octopus Go cheap electric tariff

I looked into charging but they said they would put me on a normal tariff until they fit the smart meter. The normal tariff is a lot more expensive and I have no idea how long I will have to be on it as smart meter fitting seems to be vey slow these days with covid. How long was it for folks on here for it to be changed ?
I switched to Octopus Energy on 19th April and had my smart meters installed 10th May. 12th May I had an email confirming they were receiving hourly readings and was able to switch tariff that day. So in all took 21 days.

I looked into charging but they said they would put me on a normal tariff until they fit the smart meter. The normal tariff is a lot more expensive and I have no idea how long I will have to be on it as smart meter fitting seems to be vey slow these days with covid. How long was it for folks on here for it to be changed ?
i am on that boat now

Last edited:
I'm on the go faster tariff (5h). It does add 14p extra over 4hours to charge the car. But the extra hour vs regular go, I'm saving 84p. Also my off peak period is 20.30 until 01.30, which is easier to add other household items to it without being dangerous. (Shouldn't run dryers when asleep in case they catch fire etc).

To get on go faster, email [email protected] as its something they dont do over there website. Also you have to be an octopus customer first.
Worth noting that Octopus have just increased the “day” rate on all of these tariffs - so it might not be worth changing at the moment (your existing Go or Go Faster tariff is fixed for a year)

Just checked and the day rate for south wales is 15.91 p/kWh now for new customers. So my maths from earlier is wrong for new people. I suspect the 14p wasn't sustainable as electricity prices have climbed since December.

If you can shift most (or all) of electric load into that off peak window, you can save even more money.

Contract with Avro is up, they have sent me their best quote, see attached.

Will Go be a better bet for me?

First on to answer (truthly) with their £50 code will get my vote if I sign up

I'd never heard of Avro energy before reading this thread & I couldn't have told you which energy company we're with, o_O My missus deals with the utilities & the bills just get paid. I've just compared Octopus energy against Avro & Avro were much cheaper by over £700 o_O to what our yearly bill for combined electric & gas was so we've just done the switch.(y):D

I'd never heard of Avro energy before reading this thread & I couldn't have told you which energy company we're with, o_O My missus deals with the utilities & the bills just get paid. I've just compared Octopus energy against Avro & Avro were much cheaper by over £700 o_O to what our yearly bill for combined electric & gas was so we've just done the switch.(y):D
Wish they did a switch code, could have both earned some money you could always send me 10% of your savings 😁

Done sum calcs.

Using my previous years usage I have used 5864Kw over a 12 month period.

On my current tariff with Avro that is £716.81+ £51.10 Standing charge (£767.97).

Using the same usage with the new Avro tariff it will be £954.37+£65.15 (£1,019.52).

However Oct Go will be £935.89 + £91.25 (£1027.14) which is more by £7.63.

But I have not taken the 4 hours of 5p rate into this. Therefore Go will be cheaper once I switch and go onto GO.

I know I said the first to answer will get my referral, but I did not know my son is with Octopus, so sorry

Done sum calcs.

Using my previous years usage I have used 5864Kw over a 12 month period.

On my current tariff with Avro that is £716.81+ £51.10 Standing charge (£767.97).

Using the same usage with the new Avro tariff it will be £954.37+£65.15 (£1,019.52).

However Oct Go will be £935.89 + £91.25 (£1027.14) which is more by £7.63.

But I have not taken the 4 hours of 5p rate into this. Therefore Go will be cheaper once I switch and go onto GO.

I know I said the first to answer will get my referral, but I did not know my son is with Octopus, so sorry
No probs at all! It's good that you've done your sums and worked it out beforehand. It'll be interesting to see how accurate your energy forecast will be after a year on Octopus Go - maybe you can update this thread?

Cheers

Bloggsy

Just checked and the day rate for south wales is 15.91 p/kWh now for new customers. So my maths from earlier is wrong for new people. I suspect the 14p wasn't sustainable as electricity prices have climbed since December.

If you can shift most (or all) of electric load into that off peak window, you can save even more money.
I switched to Octopus Go on 10th May and and at that time, the June 2018 tariff was still current. Funnily enough, I phoned Octopus the day before to see whether there was any impending increase applicable to the Go tariff and was told "No" (the person I spoke to didn't actually sound very certain about that so I decided not to hang around).
Made the switch and everything went through OK so I'm now safely on the June 2018 Go tariff (13.72p/kWh peak for my area). The current tariff is titled "Octopus Go May 2021 V1" and 1.92p/kWh more expensive on peak usage.
I'm not sure what day the new tariff kicked in but it certainly wasn't before the 10th May.

No probs at all! It's good that you've done your sums and worked it out beforehand. It'll be interesting to see how accurate your energy forecast will be after a year on Octopus Go - maybe you can update this thread?

Cheers

Bloggsy
Thanks, will update once I have been on it a while. I am expecting the usage to rise as there is only 6 months of charging on there, and there wasn't much of that due to lockdown

I switched to Octopus Go on 10th May and and at that time, the June 2018 tariff was still current. Funnily enough, I phoned Octopus the day before to see whether there was any impending increase applicable to the Go tariff and was told "No" (the person I spoke to didn't actually sound very certain about that so I decided not to hang around).
Made the switch and everything went through OK so I'm now safely on the June 2018 Go tariff (13.72p/kWh peak for my area). The current tariff is titled "Octopus Go May 2021 V1" and 1.92p/kWh more expensive on peak usage.
I'm not sure what day the new tariff kicked in but it certainly wasn't before the 10th May.
I’ve just, as of today, switched to the go faster from go. These are my new prices:

01:30 - 20:3015.64
20:30 - 01:305.50

I was on the 13.72, but as I’ve switched I got the new higher rate. I should be better off though as I can now run the dishwasher and tumble dryer as well as charge the car from 20:30 @ 5.5p

I’ve just, as of today, switched to the go faster from go. These are my new prices:

01:30 - 20:3015.64
20:30 - 01:305.50

I was on the 13.72, but as I’ve switched I got the new higher rate. I should be better off though as I can now run the dishwasher and tumble dryer as well as charge the car from 20:30 @ 5.5p
Is Go faster still available?

When I spoke with CS at Octopus they had never heard of 'Go faster'

@Cbrom01 - fab news! That looks great and I'm trying to get onto the same.

@mystreet - there was a previous post that you email "[email protected]" and ask. I did that last week but have not heard anything but I'll give Octopus until the end of this week and I'll try to contact them again.

Cheers

Bloggsy

Do you think the day rate is dependent on if the night rate starting earlier than 12 or is it now fixed at 15,64 and is that the same if you go the 3 hour slot.

Do you think the day rate is dependent on if the night rate starting earlier than 12 or is it now fixed at 15,64 and is that the same if you go the 3 hour slot.
It’s the same day rate no matter what time slot or duration you have for the reduced date. The price has just, in the last few days, increased from 13.72p.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom