Octopus Go Faster

We changed over from Outfox The Market to Octopus in January this year expecting to move on to their Go Faster Tariff as we have two electric vehicles.

They had to change our meters over to SMART 2 ones but could not get them to work as they couldn't communicate with them.

After emails and many phone calls over the past months, Octopus blame the problem on the DCC, the Company that supplies the communication system.

I tried to contact the DCC directly but all I get is "you must speak with your supplier".

Octopus doesn't seem to have any clout with the DCC, they tell me they have reported the poor signal problem but they admitted nothing is usually done about it.

So we pay .158p per kWh to charge our vehicles with nothing we can do except drive to a rapid charger but those are about the same price so we have to put ups with being on Octopus Standard Tariff until they can get thing to work.

Andy (Blackpool)

Last edited:
We changed over from Outfox The Market to Octopus in January this year expecting to move on to their Go Faster Tariff as we have two electric vehicles.

They had to change our meters over to SMART 2 ones but could not get them to work as they couldn't communicate with them.

After emails and many phone calls over the past months, Octopus blame the problem on the DCC, the Company that supplies the communication system.

I tried to contact the DCC directly but all I get is "you must speak with your supplier".

Octopus doesn't seem to have any clout with the DCC, they tell me they have reported the poor signal problem but that admitted noting is usually done about it.

So we pay .158p per kWh to charge our vehicles with nothing we can do except drive to a rapid charger but those are about the same price so we have to put ups with being on Octopus Standard Tariff until they can get thing to work.

Andy (Blackpool)
I have a very similar issue. 9 months ago Octopus installed a smart meter that wouldn't connect. 3 engineer visits later to determine that the meter was faulty and was replaced. Replacement will connect but not transmit the meter readings. Yet another replacement meter is to be installed.

Numerous emails and calls. Promises not kept. Questions ignored. Atrocious service tbh.

To try to get some action I have opened a case with the energy ombudsman.

Maybe I will Have to do the same James with the Ombudsman.

The DCC evidently is somehow involved with the Government who are helping them to develop better communications throughout the country and get away from the Dual System of signalling we have at the moment of Cellular Data Transfer for SMART Meters from Manchester Downwards and Long Range Radio for the North of the country including Scotland.

Its crazy to say the Long Reach Radio doesn't work where I am located just off the beach in Bispham, Blackpool, because the Life Boat Sea Rescue uses the same kind of radio system, so it looks like a lack of transmitter/receivers in our area which is the responsibility entirely of the DCC.

And if Octopus doesn't work then no other supplier will either until the DCC resolves this issue.

Andy (Blackpool)

Last edited:
the Dual System of signalling we have at the moment of Cellular Data Transfer for SMART Meters from Manchester Downwards
Does that mean DCC just use normal cellular masts, so If I can get a good phone signal (which network/s ?) then a Smart meter should work ?

I have researched loads of Technical Data on this since starting with Octopus and being a qualified electrical engineer the only information I have found is that the country is split in two parts - Cellular and Long Reach Radio.

The Cellular Network from what I can gather is run by Telefonica.

Interestingly enough, the SMART 2 Meters use a Hub to connect to the DCC and onwards to Octopus or other suppliers, in poor areas within the Cellular Network, the hub can be changed to ones with an internal or outdoor aerial. But this doesn't apply to the Long Range Radio Hubs, no external aerial port is available.

I understand that GCHQ was involved with the development of SMART Metering with the data encryption side. But already it has been disclosed there is a problem in this being breached.

The following link is some bedtime reading on everything you need to know about SMART Metering, a very interesting read for those who are technically minded.

Andy (Blackpool)

Whether Go or GoFaster is the best tariff depends on how much you need to charge overnight as it is pointless going for the cheapest cost per kWh if you need regularly more than 3x7+21 kWh charge otherwise the remaining kWh you need will be full price day rate. I have a ZS and I have the 4-hour Go at 5p and in 4 hours I know I can add 105 miles. So if I've 60 miles range left I stick it on overnight. BUT if I had the Long Range MG5 and did 50,000 miles a year I'd probably need the 5-hour GoFaster option as in all probability every evening I was home I want to charge for as long as possible and and 5 hours at 7 kW is still only 35 kWh charge but at say 4 m/kWh average, I'd be getting 140 miles range at a cost of 5.5p/kWh.

The truth is 50,000 diving 5 days a week 48 weeks of the year is 200 miles a day so we are looking at an MG 5 LR. Now since the MG5 LR has a 61.1 kWh, estimated a usable 57 kWh if you arrived home empty of your 57 kWh usable it is 8 hours on a 7kW charger so Even Octopus GoFast 5 hour rat won't cover it so maybe look elsewhere for Economy 7 or some such. However, If you anticipate Rapid charging on the road because some days you go much further than others then maybe GoFast 5 hour is fine for most days only you can tell that just do the sums. GoFaster 5 hour costs 38.5p/hour but full rate 15p/kWh costs £1.05/hour.
The first 5 hours off peak charge is only £1.92.5, but the next 3 hours at full day rate is £3.15 So about £5 a charge.

Smart Home Charge can do a lot of the donkey work for you on their EV Tariff comparison site (link below) but don't forget your car charging is only part of the mix and Standing Charges and Peak Day-Time rates for you other energy needs shouldn't be ignored. I know for me with a ZS 20+ kWh a couple of times a week is just what I need and OctopusGo suites my needs. If you do decide to go with Octopus and you're not a customer please feel free to use my referral code and share £100 with me.

share.octopus.energy/zappy-guppy-175

What's the difference between Go and Go Faster, is it simply that you can choose when your 4 hour cheap slot is - within reason?

I'm in the process of swapping to Octopus

Tom

What's the difference between Go and Go Faster, is it simply that you can choose when your 4 hour cheap slot is - within reason?

I'm in the process of swapping to Octopus

Tom
Go is from 00:30 - 04:30

Faster is selectable from 20:30 for either 3,4 or 5 hours, tariff will change as well

I'm assume the rates are different from standard Go?
Only difference is the ‘cheap’ rate as far as I can see. 4.5p/kWh for 3 hours, 5p for 4 hours, and 5.5p for 5. The idea is to smooth out the demand, so you might not get your chosen slot. Also, I had a disclaimer that go faster is a ‘trial’ or ‘beta test’ tariff (or words to that effect).

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom