• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Octopus Intelligent

Octopus have their hands rather full at the moment whilst taking on Bulb customers!
Intelligent Octopus only offers 4.1p per Kw if you export from solar to the grid, whereas Outgoing Octopus gives 15p but with that tariff you can't have either Octopus Go OR Intelligent Octopus!
Caught by the short and curlies!
Next Ohme did 'promise' me that they would be incorporating solar 'in the future'!
So for me with solar and an EV, I will stick with Outgoing and my Hypervolt charger, which I have had NO problems with, regular updates over the air, happy with my Wifi connection, all in all a throughly recommended charger. Zappi is good but I hear of problems with them and to be honest I hear of problems with Hypervolt, but my experience has/is excellent, as opposed to a good friend who has a Zappi which continually looses connection and has to be rebooted to restore a connection. A software/firmware update looks to have solved this though, which is good.
Thank you for this. Very interesting.

We had an Ohme Home Pro installed last week. It took about 30 mins to get Octopus Intelligent setup. And now the MG5 LR (pre-facelift) charges during the 6 hours of cheap tariff at night.

Went with the Ohme instead of the Zappi or the Hypervolt purely because it supported OI.

The only issue I'm facing is that, the charger doesn't know the state of charge of the car. So I need to manually set it in the app when the car is plugged. A bit annoying, would prefer if the charger can read the state of charge directly from the car. But oh well.

Folks, if you have solar panels you are not restricted as to who you can sell excess energy too. Smart Export Guarantee, (SEG) is available from many companies and you can sell to any of them. Currently I am with EDF Energy and have 8kw of panels and 12kw of battery storage. I am on their dual EV tariff which costs 4.5p per unit between midnight and 5am but 37p during the day. (Currently it is not available due to the Government payments but you can register to be informed when it is coming back online). I charge the car up at night using a 7kw mode 2 charger as well as the batteries. Non intelligent EV charger. During the day, when the sun shines I am exporting to Ovo energy anything that is not diverted to my water immersion heater. Only get 4p per unit with them mind you. Will be changing to EDF for SEG when my current contract runs out in March as they are now doing a variable rate export tariff that is currently 5p.
I currently can't believe that anyone is buying an EV car without having a home charger and doing most of their charging at home. Paying 70p per Kw out and about is crazy.

The zappi is reportedly going to be compatible soon.
I am zappi 2 and mg5 trophy owner currently on Octopus GO, hoping for this car-charger combination to be introduced into Intelligent Octopus asap too. Some folks on myenergi forums recommend to put more pressure on Octopus by filling the below request:

The more of us will do it, the more chances there are...

Mk2 has the hardware, so the possibility is there in the future. However I would suggest there's more chance of other evse manufacturers coming online first. Zappi seems to be the next likely, I'm hoping for EO too, especially as Octopus were selling branded units previously.

We have an Alfen eve charger installation by British gas for a MG ZS, I have tried to get octopus to recognise both with no luck.

Interesting when this came up on the Octopus Twitter feed the other day they said being able to use Intelligent Octopus with MGs directly (ie without the Ohme) was 'on the horizon' - although horizons can be a long way away 🙃

Interesting when this came up on the Octopus Twitter feed the other day they said being able to use Intelligent Octopus with MGs directly (ie without the Ohme) was 'on the horizon' - although horizons can be a long way away 🙃
You are lucky I have tried repeatedly to get a response with no luck, but there is always tomorrow and we know tomorrow never comes

You are lucky I have tried repeatedly to get a response with no luck, but there is always tomorrow and we know tomorrow never comes
To be fair it did seem a bit like a throwaway comment and when I went back to them they didn't offer any more info

Hi guys,

When you switched to Octopus you presumably had to ‘sit’ on the flexible tariff for a while before you were moved to either Octopus INT or GO? I’m told this is 10-14 days, which sounds feasible. Is it then just a painful case of having to charge at the flexible tariff rate for that period of time?

Hi guys,

When you switched to Octopus you presumably had to ‘sit’ on the flexible tariff for a while before you were moved to either Octopus INT or GO? I’m told this is 10-14 days, which sounds feasible. Is it then just a painful case of having to charge at the flexible tariff rate for that period of time?
Hey, Once I had my ohme installed, around 11am that day. I was on intelligent within 2 hours.

Presuming you already have a smart meter (smets 2), compatible charger (eg. Ohme), it takes about an hour or so.

Hey, Once I had my ohme installed, around 11am that day. I was on intelligent within 2 hours.

Presuming you already have a smart meter (smets 2), compatible charger (eg. Ohme), it takes about an hour or so.
Hi Shiv,

I spoke to octopus and theyve just said it takes 2 days to switch to flex tariff, then 10-14 days to move to Go. It will be Go for us. We have SMETS2.

Maybe 10-14 days is the worst case scenario and they are actually much quicker?

Hi Shiv,

I spoke to octopus and theyve just said it takes 2 days to switch to flex tariff, then 10-14 days to move to Go. It will be Go for us. We have SMETS2.

Maybe 10-14 days is the worst case scenario and they are actually much quicker?
Ah sorry, im not sure about Octopus Go. But when I switched from Octopus standard tariff -> Intelligent Octopus, it took a couple of hours, after I met the criteria for smets 2 & compatible charger.

Once you can see half hourly readings on your Octopus app you should be able to switch it may even give the option on the app.

Hi,
When you say soon, do you know how long or how soon?

I am looking to order a charger now and spoke with Octopus today but it got so confusing as I want to use my solar panels to charge and I am still no clearer whether an Ohme will do that or not
I have the OHME, solar panels and a 5Kw battery... I can charge the car with the solar, but it needs a bit of effort. Once the battery is full, I check what the solar is generating and anything over 1.3Kw and I granny charge for a couple of hours. Between the solar & the battery the granny pulls around 2.3Kw per hour so I give it a couple of hours, pulling the battery down to around 65%, then disconnect the granny and allow the battery to re-fill before the panels lose the sun... I've effectively put nothing into the grid and 5% a day into the car... that easily covers my daily mileage...

I have the OHME, solar panels and a 5Kw battery... I can charge the car with the solar, but it needs a bit of effort. Once the battery is full, I check what the solar is generating and anything over 1.3Kw and I granny charge for a couple of hours. Between the solar & the battery the granny pulls around 2.3Kw per hour so I give it a couple of hours, pulling the battery down to around 65%, then disconnect the granny and allow the battery to re-fill before the panels lose the sun... I've effectively put nothing into the grid and 5% a day into the car... that easily covers my daily mileage...
If you have a look at 'if this then that' and a smart plug thats compatible you could automate that quite easily.

IFTTT - Connect Your Apps

Just had an email from Octopus regarding their Intelligent tariff. They have expanded the amount of car brands that it is now compatible with but still MG not on the list or the Zappi charger yet.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom