Off peak charging cost

Might be worth looking at Good Energy, who do one or two EV tariffs. The one I'm on is great, five hours at 5p kWh from 10pm, 18.5p for the rest. Obviously it's higher now as I signed up about a year ago, but the up to date rates are on their website. With my MG 5 I often wait until it drops towards 40 per cent then plug it in overnight and in the morning it's full again for about £1.40! As others have said above, you can also use the dishwasher or washing machine overnight and even have a loaf of sourdough ready to go into the oven at 10 for an hour's baking!

They're also the greenest of the power suppliers and the only one to have all their tariffs given the gold standard by Uswitch for green suppliers. I've been with them for more than 20 years, paying a bit more because the environment is a major concern of mine.

I also have a smallish investment in Good Energy, putting my money where my mouth is, so I'd better declare that interest!

Like other suppliers, Good are not processing online quotes. You have to call them.

I believe all suppliers are recommending that people wait till after the price hike before they change.

Like other suppliers, Good are not processing online quotes. You have to call them.

I believe all suppliers are recommending that people wait till after the price hike before they change.
As far as I can tell, Good Energy are not accepting new customers for any of their EV tariffs. Octopus, however, definitely are. I switched to Go in January. Referral codes are still working fine if anyone wants £50 for joining. Mine is super-mist-515

As far as I can tell, Good Energy are not accepting new customers for any of their EV tariffs. Octopus, however, definitely are. I switched to Go in January. Referral codes are still working fine if anyone wants £50 for joining. Mine is super-mist-515

I used your code. Happy!

Just looked at my charging costs using Bulb ev tariff and dont think its economic!
Theyve hiked the on peak to way above the off peak if I calculate my mileage by current kwh and charge exclusively off peak I would only save £120 per year if i needed to charge on peak that would be eaten away!
Do other companies increase the off peak if on ev tariff?

Last I checked, Octopus were offering 30p/7.5p, the day rate is above the variable tariff, however so long as you're charging for 5 hours a week during the off-peak, it's still cheaper than being on the variable rate. Some seem to also be creeping up the standing charge to ensure they're not making a loss.

When my renewal for Octopus comes up in September, I'll be seriously considering what I do, when I ordered a charge point and switched to Go I wasn't anticipating work offering free charging. If I'm not charging at home enough or can't shift enough of my energy use to off-peak, it doesn't make sense. There's not a lot I can feasibly shift, I'm not leaving the dryer on whilst I sleep and don't fancy the sound of the spin cycle at 3am or having to deal with wet clothes before heading to work, that I can't put in the dryer. The dishwasher is on delay until the 4 hour window and all of my IT/Pond Kit is 24/7 anyway. If they could concentrate on making appliances that don't burn you to death, that would help.

Last I checked, Octopus were offering 30p/7.5p, the day rate is above the variable tariff, however so long as you're charging for 5 hours a week during the off-peak, it's still cheaper than being on the variable rate. Some seem to also be creeping up the standing charge to ensure they're not making a loss.

When my renewal for Octopus comes up in September, I'll be seriously considering what I do, when I ordered a charge point and switched to Go I wasn't anticipating work offering free charging. If I'm not charging at home enough or can't shift enough of my energy use to off-peak, it doesn't make sense. There's not a lot I can feasibly shift, I'm not leaving the dryer on whilst I sleep and don't fancy the sound of the spin cycle at 3am or having to deal with wet clothes before heading to work, that I can't put in the dryer. The dishwasher is on delay until the 4 hour window and all of my IT/Pond Kit is 24/7 anyway. If they could concentrate on making appliances that don't burn you to death, that would help.
Battery storage?

That's the next logical step, unfortunately house/power layout makes that difficult, can't have batteries if you don't have somewhere to put them. No under stairs cupboard, utility space or outbuilding, loft is made for hobbits' even if you could get them up there, its unlikely a spark is going to be able to wire them up. Longer term a rejig of the ground floor and an extension would include a utility roof with space for batteries.

Assuming Time of Use tariffs become the norm, rather than going away (not likely) investment in a good sized battery to avoid paying for electricity at peak prices would be good. I have kit that runs 24/7, I can't tell the Koi that the airs going off for 3 hours as it's dinner time and the electricity is 3 times the price :LOL:. I'm sure the Government/Industry are paying close attention to Octopus Agile, personally I can't see the uncertainness of knowing what your bill is going to be appealing to the masses, perhaps 3 rates per day, but the 30 minute live tracking is too much for some people to comprehend.

Conservation Area, would need planning permission for any convenient place to put it. I had to have planning permission for my charge point as it's visible from the road :rolleyes: and even then it was an argument.

30p per kWh is only 2p above the April price cap. Octopus Go is comparatively better value now than it's ever been.

I think it's safe to assume it will rise up a bit in April given the ongoing global issues and anticipated 2nd Rise in cap in October. Energy suppliers are going to be wary of locking people into contracts too close to cost. I can see it being a couple of years before fixed rates drop below the cap again.

At 3.5m/kwh (winter + lead foot) that's 8p/mile at your 30p rate or 1.5p/mile at my 5p/kwh Go Rate.

My diesel (winter + lead foot) is 35mpg at £1.52/l or (6.92/gallon) 19p/mile

YMMV but the electric cost will need to outstrip the diesel cost at quite a rate to be more expensive (not withstanding road tax changes)

Yes they do but it might mean a phone call but they will still credit your account with e referral code👍

Another option which I have just taken up today is to buy a share in Ripple Energy. Have just bought a 4265kWh share in a new wind farm being built in Ayrshire. Only problem is it's still a green field site but will start paying in Dec 2023.
I've reserved myself a share in the ripple solar park. How are you getting on with the wind farm. Did you have to invest many ££££? What are your returns likely to be like?

I've reserved myself a share in the ripple solar park. How are you getting on with the wind farm. Did you have to invest many ££££? What are your returns likely to be like?
Are you going for over £1k to get some referral credit?

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom