• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Official Plug In Car Grant (PICG) Thread

perhaps lazy journalism and mis quoting a little vague government announcement, but my gut asks, when have a Tory government given you anything for free (other than when the world was ending and they gave some furlough) ??

I suspect it is the claim and delivery date for closure / payment that has been extended for cars ordered on or before the closure date in June 2022.

I guess, expect nothing and anything is a Brucie bonus

If this is TRUE and it's a big IF until we get confirmation then I feel really sorry for any EV owners who could not apply for the grant after/on 14/06/22 and present day and now have the cars. If it was myself I would be raging 😡. To be clear it is NOT any dealer or manufacturers issue and I do not understand how they could apply for this retrospectively unless encouraged by the government...chances of that happening?

Again IF true this issue is of the governments own making and any retrospective grant would be at there discretion...breath holding not...but yet another U turn/mess whatever

Alan

"Does the UK government give grants for electric cars?

The government is today (14 June 2022) closing the plug-in car grant scheme to new orders after successfully kickstarting the UK's electric car revolution and supporting the sale of nearly half a million electric cars.14 Jun 2022"

Let's wait and see if this is actually really true before we throw our hats in the air🎩

Alan

perhaps lazy journalism and mis quoting a little vague government announcement, but my gut asks, when have a Tory government given you anything for free (other than when the world was ending and they gave some furlough) ??

I suspect it is the claim and delivery date for closure / payment that has been extended for cars ordered on or before the closure date in June 2022.

I guess, expect nothing and anything is a Brucie bonus
To be fair, the Tories did run EV grants for many many years before closing the deal.

The fleet news article stated the following

At the time, it said that all existing applications for the grant would continue to be honoured and where a car had been sold in the two working days before the announcement, but an application for the grant from dealerships has not yet been made, the sale would also still qualify for the grant.

So there seems to be a bit of scope for people who have received their cars in the last two working days but I would suggest they contact their dealer to check.

Just had this through from the Office for Zero Emission Vehicles:

Dear Stakeholder,

We wrote to you in August 2021 and again in April 2022 confirming a temporary extension to the period for Plug-in Vehicle Grant orders to reach ‘completed’ status on the grant portal from 9 months to 12 months until further notice.

Due to the ongoing semi-conductor shortage issue and the conflict in Ukraine further impacting manufacturing supply chains, we can now confirm the following:

We are extending the Plug-in Vehicle Grant delivery period to 18 months, meaning that eligibility for the grant will now expire if the vehicle is not delivered within 18 months of the order being recorded on the grant portal.

Vehicle orders recorded on the portal between 14th June 2021 – 31st March 2023 will benefit from this 18-month delivery period. From 1st April 2023, there will be no further extensions to the Plug-in Vehicle Grant delivery period after this date.

The DVLA has a record of all grants that would have expired from 14 June 2022 (first logged on the portal after 14 June 2021). For all orders currently ‘On Hold’, dealers should only send the request to put an order back to ‘Awaiting Registration’ status once they are registering the vehicle. These will be reopened on the portal. We will follow up with communications on this additional process in due course. Retailers and dealers will be responsible for communicating with their customers, to ensure they receive the grant.

As with the previous delivery window, all orders that have exceeded their 18-month delivery period will continue to be cancelled on the Plug-in Grants portal – referenced in paragraph 2.16 of the portal guidance.

The delivery period for multi-stage build vehicles (MSBs) and wheelchair accessible vehicle orders (WAVs) also remains at 18 months.

If you have any queries regarding this matter, please email us at [email protected].
@Miles Roberts CG
Hi Miles...really trying to make sense of this. I have an MG4 on order apparently arriving soon. It's an SE Standard range. So in simple terms, should I now be getting £1500 off the original price quoted?

@Miles Roberts CG
Hi Miles...really trying to make sense of this. I have an MG4 on order apparently arriving soon. It's an SE Standard range. So in simple terms, should I now be getting £1500 off the original price quoted?
No this is for people that got the Grant before it ended and are still waiting for the car

@Miles Roberts CG
As @N2STY says, the grant eligibility hasn't changed. If you ordered an EV after December 2021 when the grant was stopped, then you still won't get a grant.

This is purely an extension to the time period which you can accept delivery of those cars, as previously the grant was only valid within 9 months (later extended to 12 months) of the order being placed.

Once again the press have only reported the headline announcement without giving the full story so until the government update their website and the dealers dissect what it means for them and their customers we can only hope.
If it is true then hopefully the MG4 does qualify depending if they base it on the price before extras.
I've ordered a red Trophy which on the order form including VAT is priced at £31,093.50 Delivery, first registration, number plates and the paint bring it to £32,190

On another thread Miles Roberts is saying it only applies if you ordered the vehicle prior to the grant being stopped.

Slightly confused however as the article seems to say any car ordered before march 2023

The fleet news article stated the following

At the time, it said that all existing applications for the grant would continue to be honoured and where a car had been sold in the two working days before the announcement, but an application for the grant from dealerships has not yet been made, the sale would also still qualify for the grant.

So there seems to be a bit of scope for people who have received their cars in the last two working days but I would suggest they contact their dealer to check.
This is regarding orders placed before June 22 if you put it in context with the statement above

The Government withdrew the plug-in car grant (PiCG), which was worth up to £1,500 off an electric vehicle (EV), with immediate effect in June.

Alan

This is regarding orders placed before June 22 if you put it in context with the statement above

The Government withdrew the plug-in car grant (PiCG), which was worth up to £1,500 off an electric vehicle (EV), with immediate effect in June.

Alan
Hi Alan,

Thanks for that, all very confusing so as you say it is only an extension for existing orders before the withdrawal. Ok I shall put away the champagne, however the MG4 is still good value this would have just been an unexpected bonus.

Keith

I'm going with this being a mistake caused by poor wording. The mention of March '23 likely refers to the current end date of the grant for eligible vehicles (taxis, vans, motorbikes, etc.). The sole change here is that the claims window is being widened from 12 months to 18 months.

I've emailed the author of the news article...his reply says he is under the understanding that the grant will still be available for all orders made until 2023.

@Miles Roberts CG sorry Miles, are you definite this is not the case?

I'm going with this being a mistake caused by poor wording. The mention of March '23 likely refers to the current end date of the grant for eligible vehicles (taxis, vans, motorbikes, etc.). The sole change here is that the claims window is being widened from 12 months to 18 months.
Sadly, the more I think about it the more I agree with you.

As @N2STY says, the grant eligibility hasn't changed. If you ordered an EV after December 2021 when the grant was stopped, then you still won't get a grant.

This is purely an extension to the time period which you can accept delivery of those cars, as previously the grant was only valid within 9 months (later extended to 12 months) of the order being placed.
Thanks @Miles Roberts CG that clearly takes away any confusion, I think 🤔 .
It is my understanding that the dealer is likely to make the grant application, very soon after they have received the customers deposit / order.
This could an issue, if any delay had taken place in submitting the grant application.
Unfortunately this delay has happened on a couple of occasions.

Last edited:
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom