Ohme charger

CaptReid

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Hi, just had a Ohme charger fitted at home and just tried it out and it was only charging at 3.4kw no other appliances on in the house. Tried a quick search and it suggested turn off something ( I can’t remember what it was) but it was then supposed to go at full speed, but it didn’t alter.
Has anyone got one and had the same issue and can enlighten me please?

Have you checked that a setting in the car or on the app isn't restricting the charge rate?
Sorry I can't go onto more detail as I'm still waiting for mine.

Can’t remember how to turn it off, but your charger may have load balancing enabled but no CT clamp fitted Which may slow it down. If you do have the clamp fitted then get your installer back to check it out.

Hi, just had a Ohme charger fitted at home and just tried it out and it was only charging at 3.4kw no other appliances on in the house. Tried a quick search and it suggested turn off something ( I can’t remember what it was) but it was then supposed to go at full speed, but it didn’t alter.
Have you tried giving Ohme tech support a call?

What did the installer say when it was charging at a low rate?
Does the car charge ok on another 7kWh EVSE?

Is it a tethered charger i.e. the charging cable is permanently attached to the charger or are you using an untethered charger with a cable which you have to plug into the charger and the car?

I had the same problem if you don't have the clamp fitted to monitor energy consumption you have to turn it off in the settings to do this you hold all three buttons down to enter setup mode then turn off load balancing as it will only run at 3.4kwh otherwise hope this helps

Hi Pete, it does have a CT clamp but nothing else was on in the house. But I will try that over the weekend and see what happens

Is your charging cable tethered and if its not is it a 16amp or 32amp?
I believe a 16amp will only charge at 3.4 kWh
I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong 😁

Charger is tethered. Is there anything I need to do in the car for it to charge at 7kw?
All I can see is AC charging, is there any other options?

I have the same wall charger, in the 1st few days i couldnt get it to work, to solve : i simply didn't touch anything on the MG4, and let the ohme system take over. In the past 8 weeks I've never had an issue, I just plug in and it takes over, always worked, i have an EDF 4.5pph 5 hrs off peak rate, it just charges at 33p / hr (overnight - I did have to fiddle with a few settings on the app), which with my calcs = 7.1KW/hr or so? - speak to your installer, as it looks like it maybe restricted (dodgy CT clamp et al.)

I am looking at getting the Ohme charger through Octopus. Finally the MG4 is on the OLEV grant list so can get £350 off the price

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 529 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back