One pedal driving survey

Would you like the option of one pedal driving added to your MY 22 MG4, regardless of using it?

• Total voters
I voted no as I don't like one pedal driving and any update on my car could change something else that I wouldn't want changed, plus the option was "No, I'm happy without it", which I am.
You choose to select. Default is off.

I'd like to try it to see what it's like, but TBH I like the car to creep a little, it makes it easier to maneuver in tight spaces.

I’d like to try it. Having said that, I descended the Kirkstone Pass to Ulswater recently, I didn’t have to touch the brake pedal once. Thought I was hovering over it just in case. i quite like the regenerative braking as it is on eco but, yes, I don’t know what I am missing from one-pedal driving.

Around town OPD excellent. MG should bundle this with upcoming software. Of course you can live without it in the same way you can use the bus or not miss a Rimac Nevera if you don't have £2m. But why should gen 1 MG4 owners not have something that most 2023 EVs have and was included on cars made only six months after first deliveries.

Around town OPD excellent. MG should bundle this with upcoming software. Of course you can live without it in the same way you can use the bus or not miss a Rimac Nevera if you don't have £2m. But why should gen 1 MG4 owners not have something that most 2023 EVs have and was included on cars made only six months after first deliveries.
Have used OPD and found it to be a bit of a novelty, no great feeling either way.
I will be pleasantly shocked if this gets rolled out to gen1 cars.
MG actually need to up their customer service game as their current stance with regards dealing with issues and providing a service to customers leaves a lot to be desired

I have the one pedal driving model. Tried it a couple of times, but don`t really use it. I prefer the creep (regen 3) and find that it is easier to control in traffic, junctions etc. Also drove my daughters leaf on one pedal a few times, i dont like it :(.

I think the post is gauging people's preference. I've enjoyed 1 pedal driving but having to use the brakes provides confidence for the driver if all of a sudden you needed to increase braking immediately. I'd much prefer a stronger regen 3. Our E-Golf in B mode (highest regen) is much stronger and I find it easier to manage coasting/slowing when coming up to junctions and traffic.

If you use the ACC, you'll use the brakes anyway as you're panicking as you hurtle towards a stationary vehicle in front! Having said that, when driving normally the car seems to spot things as a hazard and slams the brakes on for no reason 🙄

I've put not, one of my perceived things is if you use one pedal driving all the time the brakes eventually cease up through lack of us, so if you use the brakes a little and often then this is then not an issue.
That was not the case in the Nissan Leaf I had. If you take you foot off the accelerator, it uses regen and physical brake disk.

I tried one pedal for a bit (and it is ok) but I much prefer acc as it keeps me to the speed limit and slows down when idiots shoot out in front of you and then slow down.
One pedal driving reminds me of dogem cars in my youth.

If you use the ACC, you'll use the brakes anyway as you're panicking as you hurtle towards a stationary vehicle in front! Having said that, when driving normally the car seems to spot things as a hazard and slams the brakes on for no reason 🙄
Man, that irritates me more than a little. I had some chap give me verbal for ‘brake checking’ him. One, it wasn’t me and two, if you want to be that close to my backside, you need to buy me dinner first!

I've put not, one of my perceived things is if you use one pedal driving all the time the brakes eventually cease up through lack of us, so if you use the brakes a little and often then this is then not an issue.
You have to use the brakes even when in one pedal mode . Not often I judge it to the last degree . And the car behind me would think what the hell is he doing . Lol

I don't agree with that at all, frankly. There are always reasons to use friction brakes during an average journey, even when using OPD - when decellerating faster than the regen will do, for sudden car-in-front braking, etc. So the friction brakes always get a bit of exercise; enough to keep them clean and working. That's absolutely not a reason not to want one pedal driving as the friction brakes will not seize - far from it! I wouldn't want folks put off OPD by false arguments as the benefits are too huge, once you're used to the new style of driving.

Last edited:
This is a very interesting thread. I'm intregued as to how many of those who voted "no" have actually used OPD? We've had 5 electric cars between my wife and I over the last 4 years, and test driven several more. I test drove the MG4 X-Power before getting my current car, and the one pedal driving was AMAZING! - it made driving so much easier, more relaxing and quicker in responding to changing traffic conditions (and my wife found the same). Eliminating the need to move your foot from one pedal to another saves a few tenths of a second in reacting to road conditions, which doesn't sound a lot but actually makes a big difference in "driving ahead" and keeping things smooth for your passengers and the car. I've been driving for over 40 years, so I'm well used to the "legacy" style of driving, but I took to EVs and then to OPD immediately, and can really see the very significant benefits!

My advice to those who haven't tried it yet, is to test drive one of the new MG4 models, and check it out for yourselves.

I don't agree with that at all, frankly. There are always reasons to use friction brakes during an average journey, even when using OPD - when decellerating faster than the regen will do, for sudden car-in-front braking, etc. So the friction brakes always get a bit of exercise; enough to keep them clean and working. That's absolutely not a reason not to want one pedal driving - the benefits are too huge, once you're used to the new style of driving.
100% agree 😍

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 499 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel