One pedal driving survey

Would you like the option of one pedal driving added to your MY 22 MG4, regardless of using it?

• Total voters
I voted no as I don't like one pedal driving and any update on my car could change something else that I wouldn't want changed, plus the option was "No, I'm happy without it", which I am.
I did but I’ve changed to yes. I doubt if I’d ever use it as I think it’s likely to lead to longer braking reaction times if too dependent on it. However, it becomes a perception that the car is worth on resale because it’s missing a feature, at least over here (Ireland)

I did but I’ve changed to yes. I doubt if I’d ever use it as I think it’s likely to lead to longer braking reaction times if too dependent on it. However, it becomes a perception that the car is worth on resale because it’s missing a feature, at least over here (Ireland)
My personal opinion is, if you try it, you’ll probably never go back 😁

I have driven a number of vehicles with one pedal and I don't like it at all on any of them. Much prefer two pedals.

Consider: with two pedals you have the travel of the accelerator to accelerate, you have the travel of the brake to brake, in between (with adaptive regen at speed) you can coast or gently slow.

Reducing it all to a single pedal makes little sense to me and also means that it is uncomfortable as I have to keep the pedal well down just to maintain speed.

Clearly there's a big group of people who do like it, that's fine but it seems to be one of those marmite things.

Voting 'no' in this poll has nothing to do with the resale value of my car. Whether it is retrofitted by MG or not isn't up to me and my vote won't affect that.

A thoughtful response. My answer re. longer braking reaction times is based on my own experience, which is that my ingrained reflex to flick my foot to the brake if something potentially hazardous happens in front of me, is unaffected, and it SHORTENS braking time, as the car has already begun to slow down significantly, before my foot has had time to start depressing the brake pedal. So my opinion after using OPD is that it improves safety, as it increases decelleration response.
There's also the worry I always have, that in an emergency situation my foot will catch on the brake pedal (because in most cars, the brake pedal sits higher than the accellerator). It's never actually happened to me, but I've had a couple of close calls, and I've heard of others having that problem, where they've gone to brake quickly, but caught their foot on the side of the pedal, and lost a vital second! - Of course, most cars nowadays have emergency collision braking, but that won't avoid an actual collision in most emergency situations; only reduce the severity of the impact. So again, OPD would be an advantage.

I did try One Pedal Driving on an EV6, I understand that it takes time to adjust your driving style but the ride quality for the passenger was not very pleasant, as for why would I vote for something I don't necessarily want, well if you don't like the answer don't as the question, ask David Cameron on that one!

Two months into owning the MG4, I now switch habitually to one pedal mode when starting the car. When looking to increase my economy, I found it was the missing magic ingredient - OPD, adaptive regen, eco mode and energy saver is giving me 3.8-4.3 miles per kwh consistently, even with aircon and motorway/dual carriageway driving at 70mph included.

Own a MG4 Long Range since 1 month and i was wondering if other people experiance the fact that one pedal drive cannot be switched in if the battery is fully loaded, i tested this and noticed the one pedal drive is working if the battery is 90% loaded....

I don't mind if they add it, but I don't care. I'm perfectly happy with the car crawling.
Yes, had the car out driving across country and had the one pedal on which is where it really comes into its own- but not much fun when inching the car onto the drive. The crawl does me most of the time.

I've put not, one of my perceived things is if you use one pedal driving all the time the brakes eventually cease up through lack of us, so if you use the brakes a little and often then this is then not an issue.
Not true bud. Regen braking also uses the friction brake so to say it will seize up is incorrect.

Two months into owning the MG4, I now switch habitually to one pedal mode when starting the car. When looking to increase my economy, I found it was the missing magic ingredient - OPD, adaptive regen, eco mode and energy saver is giving me 3.8-4.3 miles per kwh consistently, even with aircon and motorway/dual carriageway driving at 70mph included.
I use OPD all the time but I cannot even get close to 4.3 mpkw at 70mph on ACC 😞

Just got to try OPD for the first time after my charge dropped to 90% (new car arrived with 100%) which then allowed it to stay on at last. I have to say it was great to use on my short local journey - slowing for speed humps etc. became second nature very quickly.

Not true bud. Regen braking also uses the friction brake so to say it will seize up is incorrect.

I use OPD all the time but I cannot even get close to 4.3 mpkw at 70mph on ACC 😞
Just an update on miles per kWh, I just did a trip from Norfolk to Oxfordshire and back, same day. Mixed driving from motorway to single track with 2 feet of tall grass up the middle of the road (Not convinced SatNav was right in taking me that way but hey, I do as I’m told). 228 miles over 6hr 14mins. The figure I get is 3.1miles per kWh and that was driving with a really intelligent, gentle right foot. I reset the trip before I left. Wherever possible, I used ACC and the ‘Eco’ setting for driving type. Maximum regen and the smoothest drive I can manage, letting ACC control ‘in traffic’ driving. How on earth did this other person get 4.3 miles per kWh?

Last edited by a moderator:
Just an update on miles per kW, I just did a trip from Norfolk to Oxfordshire and back, same day. Mixed driving from motorway to single track with 2 feet of tall grass up the middle of the road (Not convinced SatNav was right in taking me that way but hey, I do as I’m told). 228 miles over 6hr 14mins. The figure I get is 3.1miles per kW and that was driving with a really intelligent, gentle right foot. I reset the trip before I left. Wherever possible, I used ACC and the ‘Eco’ setting for driving type. Maximum regen and the smoothest drive I can manage, letting ACC control ‘in traffic’ driving. How on earth did this other person get 4.3 miles per kW?
Your figure is much more representative - at 70 mph there is no chance of getting anywhere near 4 mi/kWh.

Yeah, I did a long trip over the weekend mainly up and down the A1, 210 miles in total. I started with a 100% fully charged and warm battery and averaged 3.0 mi/kwh overall (after starting with around 4.5 mi/kWh on the local roads to the A1). That was at around 70 mph the whole way on the A1 with no hold ups or roadworks.

100 miles down and up the A14/M11 to Stansted - used 48%. 8p x 32 kWh is a tenth of what an ICE would cost. Happier not using ACC if pressing on as it cannot anticipate braking from cars further ahead.

Yes, need to drive well below 70 for high efficiency. 65 makes a significant difference, as does wind, terrain and temperature.

I have never seen anything above 3.5 on the motorway, typically get 3.7-3.8 on country roads around 50-60mph, only get 4+ at lower speeds with traffic.

Your figure is much more representative - at 70 mph there is no chance of getting anywhere near 4 mi/kWh.
Tell my car there's no chance - I drove from Wales to Bedfordshire yesterday. Charged up in Welshpool, then A458/A5/M54/M6/M1. 35 miles on A roads, 110 on the motorway, which were generally 70mph. Arrived home with the car telling me I'd got 3.9 mi/KWh since last charge. Air con on, stereo on, wifi hotspot to my daughter in the back seat, boot full of luggage, my large wife in the passenger seat.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 508 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel