Open Tesla Supercharge Issues

I have had success with my SR.

Would be interesting to see a quick video/pictures from the process for those that are having problems.

Just to see if it's an order of operation thing or something...

If it is an LR problem it needs flagging with Tesla. The more people that report it can't harm the chances of them doing something about it, especially as it is a pilot program.
This is an MG problem - not a Tesla problem. There are several examples of manufacturers incorrectly interpreting and implementing the protocol - both AC and DC charging. Likely to need a recall to fix.

This is an MG problem - not a Tesla problem. There are several examples of manufacturers incorrectly interpreting and implementing the protocol - both AC and DC charging. Likely to need a recall to fix.
This is interesting - is this for definite? Will raise it with MG, wondering if you had any further technical information to focus minds on implementation…

Will be heading to Banbury tomorrow. Due to a whole smorgasbord of electrical fritz have had both vehicle control unit and charge control unit replaced. Will be interesting to know if this makes any difference to open tesla supercharger access. Having a service at Chorley on Monday so if it doesn’t work on way up will attempt again on way back to see if any updates they install make a difference on the way back. Definitely needs raising with MG - tesla will be the standard in US. Given their cost of supercharger install advantage (like one fifth cheaper in US), maybe their chargers will be everywhere else and open sooner than we think. 🤔
Let me know how you go. My MG is in for a fix in July finally - we’ll I have an appointment! In the USA the Tesla plug becomes the standard. Massive improvement to the CCS 1 that the USA choose. Here we have the CCS2 which will remain the standard but still inferior to NACS. SCs are already everywhere - except some corners points. It will be remarkable in the USA - I don’t know how anyone else will compete on charging installation.

Let me know how you go. My MG is in for a fix in July finally - we’ll I have an appointment! In the USA the Tesla plug becomes the standard. Massive improvement to the CCS 1 that the USA choose. Here we have the CCS2 which will remain the standard but still inferior to NACS. SCs are already everywhere - except some corners points. It will be remarkable in the USA - I don’t know how anyone else will compete on charging installation.
Exactly - apparently VW have detached themselves from electrify America (funded by them as punishment for dieselgate). YouTubers using theirs and many other non tesla units report multiple charging issues/units not working. Wasn’t aware of nuance in ccs1 vs 2. That’ll be why the cable Sandy Munro picked up in a recent video looked so darn heavy. Took two of them to lift it.

This is interesting - is this for definite? Will raise it with MG, wondering if you had any further technical information to focus minds on implementation…
On this I would adopt a process of elimination. If all other cars work and MG doesn’t then start there.
The challenge I have faced is the lack of transparency on the software updates. Even the dealers don’t know what changes are made - unless they are not telling me.
The other challenge is proving a fault with the car. If the diagnostic does not show it then MG will show no fault.
On your trip to the service make sure you try charging at said charger - if it fails then do it several times. A failed charge will show on the diagnostic and it might say why.

Manufacturers need to understand that charging needs to be easy. Plug-in and walk away - 10 seconds i recon. No apps, no phone signal problems, no checking it’s working, no user interface other than connect plug.

On this I would adopt a process of elimination. If all other cars work and MG doesn’t then start there.
The challenge I have faced is the lack of transparency on the software updates. Even the dealers don’t know what changes are made - unless they are not telling me.
The other challenge is proving a fault with the car. If the diagnostic does not show it then MG will show no fault.
On your trip to the service make sure you try charging at said charger - if it fails then do it several times. A failed charge will show on the diagnostic and it might say why.

Manufacturers need to understand that charging needs to be easy. Plug-in and walk away - 10 seconds i recon. No apps, no phone signal problems, no checking it’s working, no user interface other than connect plug.
Re your last comment on charging, a simple ‘like’ is not enough! M

The connection and reliability of Tesla models and the dedicated super charger network is almost 100% guaranteed to work correctly, because there is never every going to be any compatibility issues between car and charger.
They build the car and the software to be perfectly compatible.
Hard to beat when you are crossing other makes and models with different charging protocols on different rapid chargers.
It’s far to complicated with different App’s / memberships / lack of phone network coverage etc etc.
I mean, who installs a charger in the bowels of a concrete multi story car park, with no chance of getting a phone signal ????.
But they still do it regardless 😞.

Last edited:
Exactly - apparently VW have detached themselves from electrify America (funded by them as punishment for dieselgate). YouTubers using theirs and many other non tesla units report multiple charging issues/units not working. Wasn’t aware of nuance in ccs1 vs 2. That’ll be why the cable Sandy Munro picked up in a recent video looked so darn heavy. Took two of them to lift it.
The connection and reliability of Tesla models and the dedicated super charger network is almost 100% guaranteed to work correctly, because there is never every going to be any compatibility issues between car and charger.
They build the car and the software to be perfectly compatible.
Hard to beat when you are crossing other makes and models with different charging protocols on different rapid chargers.
It’s far to complicated with different App’s / memberships / lack of phone network coverage etc etc.
I mean, who installs a charger in the bowels of a concrete multi story car park, with no chance of getting a phone signal ????.
But they still do it regardless 😞.
Yep - they will go out of business because of the PP service they offered.

The Best - FASTNED have managed to provide a 3rd party plug and go service. Used it for 4 years with just about every EV I could rent at Schipol. Fastned knows I’m there because my phone is at the charger.
Tesla - 1 step better. It know the car is there.

When I see despairing drivers turn and and behave as if they are water devining then this is too difficult.

Maybe, but why are there no issues on other charges that are not Tesla?

Maybe, but why are there no issues on other charges that are not Tesla?
To be fair - I had the same experience at MFG chargers, where the car was simply not recognised and the session just timed out. Might have been my dodgy onboard charge controller that’s now been replaced of course… thing is it’s not just me with occasional iffy charging at MFG too I think.

To be fair - I had the same experience at MFG chargers, where the car was simply not recognised and the session just timed out. Might have been my dodgy onboard charge controller that’s now been replaced of course… thing is it’s not just me with occasional iffy charging at MFG too I think.
MFG?

MG - having read the thread above this is exactly why I will not use my MG on a road trip. Instead I use our other EV and have granted my kids insurance to use anything but the MG on any trip that involves charging on the road.

Your software needed to be updated and be transparent on the compatibility with charging networks. I have found the whole experience owning an MG opaque.

MG - you exist at an attractive pricing point but this is not an excuse for poor reliable or customer service.

I'm traveling from the north of England to the Dordogne in August in my SR. Sucks to be me I guess?

Unfortunately, many of the chargers on Motorway service areas in the UK were installed several years ago. As a result many have been user abused and software deprived since installation. I had a look at Zapmap recently for the number of working and available chargers on a route up north in a months time. I was staggered to find most only have 2 rapid chargers and 40% were broken. Some have no chargers at all. I will check other motorways as an exercise, because if this is common in the UK it is a national disgrace.

I'm currently trying to engage with the government to honour their financial commitment to have 6 high powered chargers installed at all English Service Areas by the end of 2023. The aims were noble but as not one penny of the £950m has yet been spent they are leaving it a bit late. I have detailed this in another thread.

I did try a Tesla Rapid charger detailed earlier. However, unfortunately it did not work for me. It was good to hear on the podcast last night that there seems to be a software fix for this and I look forward to that being distributed soon.

Last edited:
I'm traveling from the north of England to the Dordogne in August in my SR. Sucks to be me I guess?
Do you catch the pod cast last night ?.
The issue of not being able to charge the ZS EV Trophy 🏆 on the non - Tesla superchargers was brought up.
A member of the forum had made a very long trip from his home address to the Chorley lads, in order to have car updated.
Miles was in attendance for this appointment and they updated a series of modules on his car.
On the return trip home, the owner successfully collected a charge from the Braintree hub ( I think it was ) where it had failed on every previous attempt to do so.
It involved updating a number of modules in a very planed sequence.
Worth a view if you missed it last night 👍.
Apparently MG have now drastically reduced the wait time on ZS EV ( Gen 2 ) facelift models also and cars are available.
Wait times of about 6 - 8 weeks were spoken about.
A little better than the original 18 wait quoted earlier this year.
Also the incentive / discount / finance deals are open again for anybody who qualifies for them ( Blue Light etc etc ).
This applies to ZS EV & MG5 models I believe.
EV sales have stalled over the last few months and trade in values have reduced dramatically.
Dealers sitting on second hand models that have been bought in at top money, are not shifting.
This may be one of the reason why MG have brought back the incentives to help lower the screen price of certain models ?.
Are the sudden availability of ZS EV models as a result of cancelled orders, maybe some.
But a lot of the top spec ZS EV’s arriving now do NOT have the sun roof fitted, so these are fairly recently built cars.
It’s pot luck now if you get one with a sun roof apparently.

Last edited:
Do you catch the pod cast last night ?.
The issue of not being able to charge the ZS EV Trophy 🏆 on the non - Tesla superchargers was brought up.
A member of the forum had made a very long trip from his home address to the Chorley lads, in order to have car updated.
Miles was in attendance for this appointment and they updated a series of modules on his car.
On the return trip home, the owner successfully collected a charge from the Braintree hub ( I think it was ) where it had failed on every previous attempt to do so.
It involved updating a number of modules in a very planed sequence.
Worth a view if you missed it last night 👍.
Apparently MG have now drastically reduced the wait time on ZS EV ( Gen 2 ) facelift models also and cars are available.
Wait times of about 6 - 8 weeks were spoken about.
A little better than the original 18 wait quoted earlier this year.
Also the incentive / discount / finance deals are open again for anybody who qualifies for them ( Blue Light etc etc ).
This applies to ZS EV & MG5 models I believe.
EV sales have stalled over the last few months and trade in values have reduced dramatically.
Dealers sitting on second hand models that have been bought in at top money, are not shifting.
This may be one of the reason why MG have brought back the incentives to help lower the screen price of certain models ?.
Are the sudden availability of ZS EV models as a result of cancelled orders, maybe some.
But a lot of the top spec ZS EV’s arriving now do NOT have the sun roof fitted, so these are fairly recently built cars.
It’s pot luck now if you get one with a sun roof apparently.
Thing is...I have never had an issue with Tesla superchargers. Seem ok to me.

My car was delivered DoA with no ability to do any DC rapid charging. "Updates" were done in December which solved that. So maybe I have these updates you mention?

Thing is...I have never had an issue with Tesla superchargers. Seem ok to me.

My car was delivered DoA with no ability to do any DC rapid charging. "Updates" were done in December which solved that. So maybe I have these updates you mention?
I'm going to try Cardiff and Newport chargers tomorrow - will report back.

I needed to charge away from home today so I called by Tesla at the Trafford Centre again.
My "usual" charger was in use so I had to use one further up the rank.
The 1st attempt to charge failed, it appears that the car had difficulty in locking the charger plug in place.
I simply held the connector in while starting the charge again, this time it worked, the lock engaged and the charge started.
I've had this issue elsewhere, it's rare but if you listen you can hear the locking pin fail to engage and that always results in a failed charge.
Unsure how to fix this but will start by squirting some lithium grease around the locking pin area.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom