Open Tesla Supercharge Issues

MWS

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Dear All,

Myself and another owner of an MGZS EV LR Trophy 2022 have both had issues trying to charge at tesla super chargers that are open to other cars. All updates installed as of June last year.

The app works seamlessly and the charger clicks and the car locks the ccs port. Then after about 30 seconds the ccs car port unlocks with no charging session initiated. I tried with and without scheduled timing. No difference seen.

Any ideas or tips gratefully received! Like I say - myself and another MG ZS owner of exact same model have the same issue.

Thanks everyone!

Mike

Dear All,

Myself and another owner of an MGZS EV LR Trophy 2022 have both had issues trying to charge at tesla super chargers that are open to other cars. All updates installed as of June last year.

The app works seamlessly and the charger clicks and the car locks the ccs port. Then after about 30 seconds the ccs car port unlocks with no charging session initiated. I tried with and without scheduled timing. No difference seen.

Any ideas or tips gratefully received! Like I say - myself and another MG ZS owner of exact same model have the same issue.

Thanks everyone!

Mike
If you speak to Tesla supercharger customer services they would say MG's are not compatible I believe some members have got it to work

Thanks! This seems quite strange - what would make a car incompatible with a ccs charger? I thought protocols were in place to standardise. Hey ho!

Thanks - I was using the tesla app to initiate the charge. Am not sure if there was a setting to select the type of car being charged but will investigate. If there are other apps to start the charge can experiment but was assuming (perhaps wrongly) that Tesla lives in a walled garden - and I’ve been given a ladder with three rungs and a periscope with tin foil for mirrors :)

Am not sure if there was a setting to select the type of car being charged but will investigate.
I just downloaded to look but there is no option I suppose it was just wishful thinking

Dear All,

Thanks everyone!

Mike
Used the Superchargers at Manchester a couple of times without problems on my SR.

Seamless experience.

I used the Tesla Supercharger at Manchester Trafford Centre 3 weeks ago to charge my ZS Mk2 - no issues to report, worked fine and cheaper than the others in the area.

I used the Tesla Supercharger at Manchester Trafford Centre 3 weeks ago to charge my ZS Mk2 - no issues to report, worked fine and cheaper than the others in the area.
Interesting. The units I used were older ones with a Tesla socket cable and CCS cable. Maybe newer ones don’t have an issue? Could be user error on my part but I did try two seperate units and nothing happened. Will keep trying. Thanks for the information sharing everyone! M

Interesting. The units I used were older ones with a Tesla socket cable and CCS cable. Maybe newer ones don’t have an issue? Could be user error on my part but I did try two seperate units and nothing happened. Will keep trying. Thanks for the information sharing everyone! M
I've heard from drivers of other EVs (Hyundai and VW) that they struggle at some Tesla sites, but I've charged successfully at Trafford Centre and Flint Mountain fine.
Incidentally, my Mk1 ZS wouldn't charge at these sites though!

I've heard from drivers of other EVs (Hyundai and VW) that they struggle at some Tesla sites, but I've charged successfully at Trafford Centre and Flint Mountain fine.
Incidentally, my Mk1 ZS wouldn't charge at these sites though!
The Flint mountain Tesla site ( just off the A55 expressway ) is fairly close to our home address.
Handy to know it works on the ZS EV Gen2 that we have, if I had any charger problems.
Thanks !.

Thanks! This seems quite strange - what would make a car incompatible with a ccs charger? I thought protocols were in place to standardise. Hey ho!
As always, most programmers use a bit of artistic freedom to interpret the standards.

Sometimes they apply "fixes" to the controlling firmware, this is known as "hacks" to make something compatible with something that is not.

If you look back, you will see that a year ago, more than a few ZS EV owners found that their cars were being "bricked" and needed to be towed to MG to be "reset" because some fast chargers were incompatible, and would make the ZS EV get it's knickers in a twist to the point where it "broke" the car.

Fact is...MG ended up releasing a firmware update, indicating that it was their firmware that was not "Completely in line with the standard".

I have seen incidents like this more than a few times....My daughter had a Garmin watch that refused to talk to her Xiaomi phone via bluetooth...Garmin said it was because of Xiaomi's implementation of the Bluetooth standard.

My previous car had to have a firmware update for the infotainment, because it was not completely standard with Android auto and would often present me with a black screen instead of AA.

Tesla has nothing to gain from lying about this, their charging locations are rarely full, so they can make good money, charging other brand cars, so if they block MG's it's probably because the MG's have some "alternative" implementation of the CCS standard, that their chargers do not like. Maybe even to the point where the chargers themselves would get into a bad software state and require rebooting to get them working again.

Dear All,

Thanks everyone!

Mike
I tend to avoid the Tesla station in Dundee (the one on my route from Aberdeenshire to Glasgow) because I have tried 3 or 4 times there and it has always been a pain in the neck in MG5. I assumed it was an app / poor 4g connectivity issue. Had no problems at the Tesla chargers in Aviemore. I use the BPpulse station NW of Perth now instead of the Tesla Dundee station.

I have a first edition MG ZS EV and wanted to use the open Tesla superchargers at its Newport location at Celtic Manor yesterday. After finally finding them, I couldn't get the chargers to work. It would say "connected not charging" and then say on the app it could not could not contact the car. Guy next to me in a new MG4 was very helpful and was cheerfully charging his, but I could not get mine to charge. The car does need a service soon, so does anyone know if will there be a new software update to fix this issue ?

There was a software update available for face lift ZS EV to help avoid the “Bricking Issue” experienced by early adopters, when trying to use certain CCS units, but I don’t think the Tesla super charger trial had started then ?.
Not sure if this ever affected the original Gen1 ZS EV because the trial of opening 15 Tesla super charger in the U.K. was not open when the Gen1 version was released in 2019.
Some ZS EV face lift models, have successfully received a charge at certain units.
A few members have reported a successful charge received at the Tesla super chargers at the Trafford Centre in Manchester.
It appears a hit and miss afraid on the ZS EV face lift model regarding the Tesla super chargers.
Which does not really surprise me to be honest.
As we already know, some Gen 1 and Gen 2 cars are running around on different version levels of software.
Some cars get updated at the time of their annual service by some dealers, but not by others.
This accounts for why this type thing happens !.
It is frustrating when you pull up to a CCS charger and it will not communicate with the car I guess, but if it failed to charge more than twice, then I would disconnect and move on.
Repeatedly trying to charge the car, could cause the car to throw a high voltage code.
These multiple attempts could result in bricking the car.

There was a software update available for face lift ZS EV to help avoid the “Bricking Issue” experienced by early adopters, when trying to use certain CCS units, but I don’t think the Tesla super charger trial had started then ?.
Not sure if this ever affected the original Gen1 ZS EV because the trial of opening 15 Tesla super charger in the U.K. was not open when the Gen1 version was released in 2019.
Some ZS EV face lift models, have successfully received a charge at certain units.
A few members have reported a successful charge received at the Tesla super chargers at the Trafford Centre in Manchester.
It appears a hit and miss afraid on the ZS EV face lift model regarding the Tesla super chargers.
Which does not really surprise me to be honest.
As we already know, some Gen 1 and Gen 2 cars are running around on different version levels of software.
Some cars get updated at the time of their annual service by some dealers, but not by others.
This accounts for why this type thing happens !.
It is frustrating when you pull up to a CCS charger and it will not communicate with the car I guess, but if it failed to charge more than twice, then I would disconnect and move on.
Repeatedly trying to charge the car, could cause the car to throw a high voltage code.
These multiple attempts could result in bricking the car.
Thanks, really helpful summary. Repeatedly trying to charge my car at several different MFG chargers which didn’t like my car (or my car didn’t like the charger) must have been what bricked the car a few months back.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom