Ora Cat would you consider

I think the price is a little steep compared to a current gen MGs (not sure about new versions coming soon) and also not enough storage space. It does seem to have some nice tech but there's also more addon options than with MG so I imagine the final price will look a little less appealing compared to a ZS. That said, I think this looks like a nice second car or a cheaper alternative to a Leaf. I'd like to give Ora a chance.

Apart from the repeated assertion that the Ora Cat is the very first Chinese car to land in the UK (???)........this may be of interest although not much different to the other video but hopefully the presenter's sleeves won't detract too much this time.

Last edited:
Apart from the repeated assertion that the Ora Cat is the very first Chinese car to land in the UK (???)........this may be of interest although not much different to the other video but hopefully the presenter's sleeves won't detract too much this time.

That felt like one of those lines he was told by the company he had to deliver if he wanted to cover the car.

It was odd because Jack has driven the MG5 so he is certainly aware of it.

Is it possible it's the 'first' because it's not rebranded to a UK brand ie MG?

That felt like one of those lines he was told by the company he had to deliver if he wanted to cover the car.

Maybe meant first to be built as electric from the ground up, now about the only thing about MG UK that keeps nagging away at me.

MG now have the basis for their ground up ev platform in the Marvel R and surely it can't be long before they use that in their other market segments.

Just wondering 🤔

I think the price is a little steep compared to a current gen MGs (not sure about new versions coming soon) and also not enough storage space. It does seem to have some nice tech but there's also more addon options than with MG so I imagine the final price will look a little less appealing compared to a ZS. That said, I think this looks like a nice second car or a cheaper alternative to a Leaf. I'd like to give Ora a chance.
It's a case of funky or function. I think the Cat would definitely appeal more to young drivers than the looks of the MG5, the new ZS being a bit more expensive, being for those who need the extra space.

Maybe meant first to be built as electric from the ground up, now about the only thing about MG UK that keeps nagging away at me.

MG now have the basis for their ground up ev platform in the Marvel R and surely it can't be long before they use that in their other market segments.

Just wondering 🤔
That video pissed me off big time and I left a comment calling out that particular presenter. He has talked about MG a total of 2 times that I can tell. Once to fantasize about the E Motion and at the same time crap all over the 1st gen MG5 EV for it's looks. Then another time with a co-presenter. He actually shuddered when he talked about it. So basically, he hates MG and has no shame in lying outright to his viewers. This is not the producers telling him what to say, it was personal.

That video pissed me off big time and I left a comment calling out that particular presenter. He has talked about MG a total of 2 times that I can tell. Once to fantasize about the E Motion and at the same time crap all over the 1st gen MG5 EV for it's looks. Then another time with a co-presenter. He actually shuddered when he talked about it. So basically, he hates MG and has no shame in lying outright to his viewers. This not the producers telling him what to say, it was personal.
Jake is going to be at the MG ZS EV press day with me next week, so I can ask him about it then...
;)

Jake is going to be at the MG ZS EV press day with me next week, so I can ask him about it then...
;)
Please do. It makes me sad that many car journalists write off MG as unimportant. I would never bought my first EV had it not been for the ZS EV. I'm not willing to pay insane amounts of money for a Tesla, Audi, VW or Jaguar... MG "gets" what people need: a good product at a fair affordable price.

That video pissed me off big time and I left a comment calling out that particular presenter. He has talked about MG a total of 2 times that I can tell. Once to fantasize about the E Motion and at the same time crap all over the 1st gen MG5 EV for it's looks. Then another time with a co-presenter. He actually shuddered when he talked about it. So basically, he hates MG and has no shame in lying outright to his viewers. This is not the producers telling him what to say, it was personal.
I suppose people are still entitled to have an opinion.

I've looked at a shed load of video reviews of the MG5 and I believe most of them have been enthusiastic about it 'doing what it says on the tin', and doing it very well', and kind enough to describe its looks as unexciting.

It seems to be a popular view and I personally don't perceive that as a hatred of MG.

Unfortunately I'm definitely no longer a member of the younger generation but I have always been a 'gadget man' and in that role unfortunately I find my inner conflict between the MG value for money and the fact that the styling is definitely 'old hat' and despite the current bolting on of improved interiors, minor cosmetic changes and electronic technology the base cars appear to be ageing 1st generation electric conversions from ice cars which are already facing competition from other Chinese brands and the likes of Toyota, soon launching their first full bev the bz4x.
Hyundai are reported to be bringing forward to 2022 the launch of 3 or 4 new full electric models and they are acutely aware of the affect the Chinese manufacturers are going to have on the market.

I still think the cars work well but fear that the current facelift offerings, at the new price points, will make many potential customers have 'the king is in the altogether' moment.

I say that as one who has a deposit on a ZS LR Trophy Connect, I don't hate MG, but I fear they may be left behind in the dust if they're not careful. 🤔

Last edited:

I've looked at a shed load of video reviews of the MG5 and I believe most of them have been enthusiastic about it 'doing what it says on the tin', and doing it very well', and kind enough to describe its looks as unexciting.

It seems to be a popular view and I personally don't perceive that as a hatred of MG.

Unfortunately I'm definitely no longer a member of the younger generation but I have always been a 'gadget man' and in that role unfortunately I find my inner conflict between the MG value for money and the fact that the styling is definitely 'old hat' and despite the current bolting on of improved interiors, minor cosmetic changes and electronic technology the base cars appear to be ageing 1st generation electric conversions from ice cars which are already facing competition from other Chinese brands and the likes of Toyota, soon launching their first full bev the bz4x.
Hyundai are reported to be bringing forward to 2022 the launch of 3 or 4 new full electric models and they are acutely aware of the affect the Chinese manufacturers are going to have on the market.

I still think the cars work well but fear that the current facelift offerings, at the new price points, will make many potential customers have 'the king is in the altogether' moment.

I say that as one who has a deposit on a ZS LR Trophy Connect, I don't hate MG, but I fear they may be left behind in the dust if they're not careful. 🤔
weren’t you the one that started a thread where you called out MG were JUNK or did you edit your posts again?

Last edited:
weren’t you the one that started a thread where you called out MG were JUNK or did you edit your posts again?
I always edit my posts when I see grammatical and/ or spelling errors and if I subsequently change my mind (is thinking still allowed?).

You are correct in your identification.

You have earned one 'attaboy'. 👍

Edit: ......and by the way.....so what?

Last edited:
I always edit my posts when I see grammatical and/ or spelling errors and if I subsequently change my mind (is thinking still allowed?).

You are correct in your identification.

You have earned one 'attaboy'. 👍

Edit: ......and by the way.....so what?
I only asked you a question? 😵‍💫
seems I’ve also managed to rattle your cage a little bit…..?

hay ho, Thankyou sooooooooo much, I will cherish my attaboy 👍, take it with me and show the whole world 🌎 it’s made me feel all warm and smoochy inside 😘

Will they be left behind in the dust though. Is it fair to compare the MG first offerings that are well made and offer extremely good VFM to cars that have not even been made yet. Maybe MG has something in the pipeline too.
Also consider cost, these others you mention will they be on the market for sub or close to 30k prices or are we looking at a different target audience/income. ?

Will they be left behind in the dust though. Is it fair to compare the MG first offerings that are well made and offer extremely good VFM to cars that have not even been made yet. Maybe MG has something in the pipeline too.
Also consider cost, these others you mention will they be on the market for sub or close to 30k prices or are we looking at a different target audience/income. ?
There is much in what you say, but I'm looking at, and considering buying, one of MG's 2022 offerings at their current prices and my perception is that although they have improved interiors and added very attractive kit the cars remain rooted in ice which means that unlike many others they cannot take advantage of the benefits that using a custom electric vehicle design brings.

One ice legacy that the ZS continues to have is the inability to regen in ACC. I've never had a car that had ACC, I'm quite happy using CC where possible and controlling the car when a change of pace is required, but that still irritates me, go figure, as they say.

The Toyota prices will be announced early December and to be honest if one with similar spec (I can live without a sun roof) to the ZS was within £5,000 I would seriously consider the Toyota even if it had less range but had a higher charging speed (having read a lot of the stuff about charging I'm tempted to suggest that no electric vehicle should be given type approval unless it can swallow electrons at a pretty high rate) ( tin hat already on).

All part of the decision making process, such fun. 😊

There is much in what you say, but I'm looking at, and considering buying, one of MG's 2022 offerings at their current prices and my perception is that although they have improved interiors and added very attractive kit the cars remain rooted in ice which means that unlike many others they cannot take advantage of the benefits that using a custom electric vehicle design brings.

One ice legacy that the ZS continues to have is the inability to regen in ACC. I've never had a car that had ACC, I'm quite happy using CC where possible and controlling the car when a change of pace is required, but that still irritates me, go figure, as they say.

The Toyota prices will be announced early December and to be honest if one with similar spec (I can live without a sun roof) to the ZS was within £5,000 I would seriously consider the Toyota even if it had less range but had a higher charging speed (having read a lot of the stuff about charging I'm tempted to suggest that no electric vehicle should be given type approval unless it can swallow electrons at a pretty high rate) ( tin hat already on).

All part of the decision making process, such fun. 😊
There is some merit in what you say regards to an electric vehicle build from the ground up platform.
However you pick on an example that the ZS EV based on an ICE vehicle doesn't regen under ACC, a system you say you've never had before so really does it matter.
However again, another based on an ICE vehicle that does have regen under ACC is the MG5 LR for certain, maybe the SR as well. It just depends on the hardware installed as to whether it is possible.
So the platform does not have to constrain the EV credentials. :)

There is some merit in what you say regards to an electric vehicle build from the ground up platform.
However you pick on an example that the ZS EV based on an ICE vehicle doesn't regen under ACC, a system you say you've never had before so really does it matter.
However again, another based on an ICE vehicle that does have regen under ACC is the MG5 LR for certain, maybe the SR as well. It just depends on the hardware installed as to whether it is possible.
So the platform does not have to constrain the EV credentials. :)
I had hoped It was clear that I am ambivelant about ACC as I'd never had it but if I'm going spend (just) 30 grand on a new car that has ACC I would then expect to use it and I would expect it to work in a way appropriate to a 2022 model electric vehicle.

Having read the entire thread about charger etiquette and many other similar on various media and the reality of attempting to actually use an electric vehicle on long trips I'm beginning to obsess much less about thwarting my Outlander's attempts to start its engine and wondering whether it is indeed too soon to be committing to full electric travel.

I really cannot remember the last time I actually put petrol in it. In answer to the inevitable question about what happens when its system starts the engine and demands 15 litres of fresh petrol you just disconnect the 12 volt battery for a few minutes and, voila, it leaves you alone for another 3 months.

I hear someone thinking "If the Outlander only does 25 miles as ev and you don't buy petrol you obviously don't travel long distances so why are you bothered about long distance ev travel?" Well it has been to Perth in Scotland several times, and London / Brighton in the past and regularly gets to relatives outside pure electric range but I often use our Skoda Citigo as I can better the average 45 to 50 mpg I can get out of the Outlander on a longish trip and helps to preserve the 103 mpg the Outlander has achieved so far.

I don't about those ,but still the car is more than double the Chinese price.
yes but so is the ZS, its less than £13,000 equivalent in china and the new one is far superior to the ora, if MG can pitch the excite model at £25,000 or less they will sell loads, the trouble is there are loads of new EV's coming out in 2022/23 with new cheaper battery technology, I'll wait thanks

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom