Original MG ZS EV battery state of health

mglcastro83

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Evening all,

I have recently noticed over the last few weeks that upon full charge and battery equalisation the GOM, which used to read 163miles, now consistently reads 157miles. All latest updates are on. No dodgy BMS. Weather this week has been pleasant. Battery voltage reads 449v and current / accumulated journey have been reset.

It’s the exclusive model, is a 70 reg plate (so 17 months old) and has 7500 miles.

Am I missing something or have I experienced battery degradation? 😱

Thoughts greatly appreciated.

Evening all,

I have recently noticed over the last few weeks that upon full charge and battery equalisation the GOM, which used to read 163miles, now consistently reads 157miles. All latest updates are on. No dodgy BMS. Weather this week has been pleasant. Battery voltage reads 449v and current / accumulated journey have been reset.

It’s the exclusive model, is a 70 reg plate (so 17 months old) and has 7500 miles.

Did you have the AC on? That usually automatically reduces the GOM by about 10%, but your variance is less than that.

When my ZS EV is fully charged it also shows now less. It keeps getting back now with warmer temperatures. I guess the car remembers even without the trip meters how much consumption it took last drives. Which makes the GOM more reliable.

Evening all,

Are you resetting BOTH of the trip recorders before you do your readings ?.
If not, you need to !.
Are you carrying out a balance cycle about once a month ?.
I will share my story with you and you can come to your own conclusions on this subject, after reading about our car.
Our previous Gen 1 ZS EV was just over two years old and covered just under 20,000 miles before we exchanged it for the new face lift LR Trophy.
The car had only charged once on a rapid, the rest of the time it charged from home on our A/C 7.0 kW wall box.
The car was probably one of the first privately owned cars to receive the BMS update released on the 15th Jan 2021.
The update was applied on the 18th Jan 2021.
When first done, the car would display a range of between 162 - 163 miles on the GOM after a fully charge and balance.
This was the base line figure used by MG when applying the software update.
Our pack voltage ( with everything tuned off ) was 449 - 450 volts at the time.
Over the next few months, I started to notice that the predicted range on the GOM had slowly started reducing it's prediction of achievable range.
Slowly slipping back to 160 then slowly bit by bit towards the upper 150's.
Over about the next 12 months, the predicted range continued slowly slipping back to 154 miles. Just before we sold it, it dropped back to 153 miles of range after a full charge and balance.
This was with BOTH trips reset and NO electrical systems running at the time of checking.
The pack voltage was still at 449 volts though !.
When the BMS is applied, it completely wipes the slate clean and therefore I believe, it is relearning everything about the true condition of the pack all over again.
The historical data has been wiped when the update was carried out.
I think it commences learning from the 163 mile starting point.
If you car had the update done and it had not covered many miles, then the learning process is much quicker.
If your car had been badly affected by the "Buggy" software, then it would take a while to recover the cell imbalance and hit the magic 445 volts / 163 miles of predicted range.
Our car ( like yours ) was NOT affected by the "Buggy" software.
I takes time for the system to evaluate the condition of HV pack and then come back, with what it feels is a more accurate SOH of your pack.
If you have a OBD dongle, you can get the battery SOH via the software App.
I did not have such a dongle, but you can make a pretty good guess of your SOH really.
If the known good base line target is 163 ( 449 - 450 volts ) post BMS and like in our case, your predicted range was 153 - then 10 miles has gone missing somewhere ?.
10% of 163 = 16 miles and we have roughly 10 miles missing.
Rough guess is then, that our packs was sitting at around 93 - 94% ( ish ) SOH ???.
The reduction in range appeared slowly progressive, maybe at some point it would level out ?.
But my personal feeling was that some battery degradation HAD taken place in that two years and almost 20,000 miles.
I could be totally wrong here of course, but my gut instincts tell me different !.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you resetting BOTH of the trip recorders before you do your readings ?.
If not, you need to !.
Are you carrying out a balance cycle about once a month ?.
I will share my story with you and you can come to your own conclusions on this subject, after reading about our car.
Our previous Gen 1 ZS EV was just over two years old and covered just under 20,000 miles before we exchanged it for the new face lift LR Trophy.
The car had only charged once on a rapid, the rest of the time it charged from home on our A/C 7.0 kW wall box.
The car was probably one of the first privately owned cars to receive the BMS update released on the 15th Jan 2021.
The update was applied on the 18th Jan 2021.
When first done, the car would display a range of between 162 - 163 miles on the GOM after a fully charge and balance.
This was the base line figure used by MG when applying the software update.
Our pack voltage ( with everything tuned off ) was 449 - 450 volts at the time.
Over the next few months, I started to notice that the predicted range on the GOM had slowly started reducing it's prediction of achievable range.
Slowly slipping back to 160 then slowly bit by bit towards the upper 150's.
Over about the next 12 months, the predicted range continued slowly slipping back to 154 miles. Just before we sold it, it dropped back to 153 miles of range after a full charge and balance.
This was with BOTH trips reset and NO electrical systems running at the time of checking.
The pack voltage was still at 449 volts though !.
When the BMS is applied, it completely wipes the slate clean and therefore I believe, it is relearning everything about the true condition of the pack all over again.
The historical data has been wiped when the update was carried out.
I think it commences learning from the 163 mile starting point.
If you car had the update done and it had not covered many miles, then the learning process is much quicker.
If your car had been badly affected by the "Buggy" software, then it would take a while to recover the cell imbalance and hit the magic 445 volts / 163 miles of predicted range.
Our car ( like yours ) was NOT affected by the "Buggy" software.
I takes time for the system to evaluate the condition of HV pack and then come back, with what it feels is a more accurate SOH of your pack.
If you have a OBD dongle, you can get the battery SOH via the software App.
I did not have such a dongle, but you can make a pretty good guess of your SOH really.
If the known good base line target is 163 ( 449 - 450 volts ) post BMS and like in our case, your predicted range was 153 - then 10 miles has gone missing somewhere ?.
10% of 163 = 16 miles and we have roughly 10 miles missing.
Rough guess is then, that our packs was sitting at around 93 - 94% ( ish ) SOH ???.
The reduction in range appeared slowly progressive, maybe at some point it would level out ?.
But my personal feeling was that some battery degradation HAD taken place in that two years and almost 20,000 miles.
I could be totally wrong here of course, but my gut instincts tell me different !.
I’m leaning towards it being degradation. I guess my next question would be is it acceptable for the battery’s SOH to be at 96% (ish) after 17 months and 7500miles? I understand it is going to happen but I didn’t think we’d start to see it so soon.

I am having the same. Feb 2021 Exclusive. No buggy software. Voltage 449 and 163 miles when fully charged on Normal. Last couple of charges, it dropped to 160 miles and then 157 miles now. Still showing 449v and I normally always do slow granny charging. Like mgkcastro83, no idea why this has suddenly happened. I have done 6000 miles.

Mine's been the same 158 miles last time and trips reset made no difference.
I put it down to battery temperature, it'll probably get better as temperatures go up.

That is interesting, but what BMS are you running on and what is your predicted range after a full charge and balance please ?.
Last update was carried out in April 2021...comfort I believe...serviced on the 22nd March 2 further updates carried out on head unit...which would have no effect on the battery...never used a rapid charger, wrong milage it's 28500, battery health sill 100% on the service report

Original BMS factory software @Kithmo ?.
Yes.
Because all my trips are local. I don't bother with the GOM now, I just use the HV battery gauge like a fuel gauge and top up when it gets down to 2 bars or whenever I'm in Tesco's.
I've had nearly 54kWh of juice for free from Tesco's this month, the car's one bar off full ATM.

GOM starting to climb back up now the weather is getting better 158 showing this morning...45 miles a day on the motorway 12 on A roads .... topped up every night during the week to max

GOM starting to climb back up now the weather is getting better 158 showing this morning...45 miles a day on the motorway 12 on A roads .... topped up every night during the week to max
Car has been sitting in the sun all day whilst at work so I’ll see if that has made a difference 🤞

Last update was carried out in April 2021...comfort I believe...serviced on the 22nd March 2 further updates carried out on head unit...which would have no effect on the battery...never used a rapid charger, wrong milage it's 28500, battery health sill 100% on the service report
It would be interesting to know what BMS software you are running on ?.
What is your pack voltage when fully charged and balanced ?.
That will give us clue !.
I am lucking to see if there is a relationship / link between with cars that are running on factory or latest BMS software.

It would be interesting to know what BMS software you are running on ?.
What is your pack voltage when fully charged and balanced ?.
That will give us clue !.
I am lucking to see if there is a relationship / link between with cars that are running on factory or latest BMS software.
Battery state this morning after overnight charge...GOM will Increase as weather warms up...all updates are upto date and latest bms...GOM milage can drop after you turn the car off if you just driven it hard even had it go up when I've restated it

Attachments

• 20220327_081223.jpg
    20220327_081223.jpg
    392 KB · Views: 367
Battery state this morning after overnight charge...GOM will Increase as weather warms up...all updates are upto date and latest bms...GOM milage can drop after you turn the car off if you just driven it hard even had it go up when I've restated it
That pack voltage of 445 volts looks low to me ???.
Did you reset BOTH of the trips before you checked your pack voltage ?.
With the new BMS you should be seeing between 448 - 450 Volts on the pack after a full charge and balance, with BOTH trips reset prior to charging ( ideally ) and foot OFF the footbrake when you "Boot Up" the car.
Between 455 - 456 volts is what I would expect to see on the original factory software.
Do you use rapid chargers a lot ?.
How often do you carry out a balance cycle on your car ?.

That pack voltage of 445 volts looks low to me ???.
Did you reset BOTH of the trips before you checked your pack voltage ?.
With the new BMS you should be seeing between 448 - 450 Volts on the pack after a full charge and balance, with BOTH trips reset prior to charging ( ideally ) and foot OFF the footbrake when you "Boot Up" the car.
Between 455 - 456 volts is what I would expect to see on the original factory software.
Do you use rapid chargers a lot ?.
How often do you carry out a balance cycle on your car ?.
Never used rapid chargers....charge it every night...60 mile round trip for work...don't sit and watch it just charge and drive...as stated 100% battery when checked during service...

Never used rapid chargers....charge it every night...60 mile round trip for work...don't sit and watch it just charge and drive...as stated 100% battery when checked during service...
So, the dealer has done a SOH check on the pack and reported it at 100% SOH ?.
I only ask because after covering 29018 miles and with a pack voltage of 445.
Plus a now predicted range of 154 miles in the default mode, this may not suggest a 100% SOH ?.
To clarify, you only cover 60 miles every day, but charge to FULL every single night regardless ?.
If you are leaving it plugged in after it reaches 100% fully charged, then you ARE balancing.
Please please don't think I am criticising your routine, I am just trying to understand what is happening, to satisfy my own ( and anybody else ) interest who likes to plot their battery condition.
On your photo, it suggests that there is NO amp's being consumed by the car, at the time you did your checks ?.
@JodyS21 you may find this thread of some interest from @Gazza because I know you where running a spread sheet on results shown, on both PRE & POST BMS updates !.
I truly would like your opinions / thoughts on this situation on Gazza's car ?.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom